Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

I'm disappointed in the Evangelion remake so far. (Possible spoilers)

I know there are at least a few Neon Genesis Evangelion fans here, so I figured I'd say this. Also because it's just been eating away at me for a while now.
I am a huge fan of the original Evangelion, and actually consider it the best show ever made, mostly because I really related with all the screwed up problems the characters had. I'm not saying that I've been through anything as bad as what for example, Asuka, had been through, but they really voiced a lot of my thoughts. I was really amazed recently when I finally saw the director's cut episodes, especially episode 22. All the other stuff like the Seele conspiracy and everything else just added to it's greatness.
And this is the problem I'm having with the remake. There is none of the realistic, mature protrayal on depression and self-hate that the show had. Sure the animation is great this time, and I love how freaky the Angels are this time, and I also enjoy the new take on the Seele conspiracy, but everything else about it is just disappointing to me. I'm especially disappointed with how Asuka is depicted this time, since I really related with the things she said in the show, especially in the director's cut episode 22, but this time she just comes across as a crazy bitch.
What I don't understand is that I know that Hideaki Anno was himself depressed for years and this is why Evangelion turned out the way it was, and why it felt legitimate unlike pretty much every other depiction of depression I've seen (though there are some other noteable examples of stories that delt with depression where I felt that the writer actually knew what they were talking about), so this is why I'm so confused by why the remake has turned out the way it has. This is the same guy who described otaku as being in a kind of forced autism, that they need to wake up from their illusions and confront reality, so I'm confused with why the remake seems to me to be embracing those things he seemed to hate.

I know this probably came off extremely "emo", but I just felt that I had to say this. Do any other Evangelion fans feel this way?

Comments

• Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Evangelion was the first anime I saw, and so yea, it's got a special place in my heart on all anime related.

I liked the series, liked the End of Evangelion etc. Wanted a happy ending for them, but really, i should've known better. (read gainax ending on tvtropes.. and weep).

But, I've been quite happy with the remakes, those two movies I have seen so far.

It's quite different from what's come before, some similar, lot of changes.. and I cant really complain about it. There's lot of time between the original series and the new one. Things change, so be it.

It's not like the new Star Trek movie was anything like the original series. I got no complaints about that. I look at them all on their own merits.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    And so I dont entirely derail from my normal personality,

[COLOR="Purple"]penis[/COLOR]
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I watched Evangelon...

And thought Code Geass blew it out of the water in terms of...everything. Plot, Character development, cool mechs, animation...
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Code Geass.... I've seen a little of it and couldn't stand it, but I'm not here to insult you for liking it. If you like it, that's fine with me. Kind of my same opinion on Firefly. I don't like that show, I don't mind that other people like it, but don't expect me to like it.

The remake so far (especially the second one) has just been too happy and silly. It doesn't feel like Evangelion to me. When I saw the show, I was amazed that someone had the balls to say what was said on that show about depression. I have seen nothing else that has gone that far, except the Technomage Trilogy. My problem (as I think I've already stated a million times) is that the remake hasn't touched on this at all really, except superficially. Everyone's too happy in it.
    Yes, I do realize that things turn pretty badly for everyone by the end of the second movie, but compare how dismal things were in the show at that point. I'm not saying that everything should be dark and depressing, but that honesty was what appealed so much to me with Eva. Of course, I have a pretty dismal opinion of life as well, so watching the show is somewhat therapeutic to me. I seem to be one of the few people who actually think the original final two episodes of Evangelion are better than The End of Evangelion, because there's so much meaning and so much said in those two episodes that really needed to be said. But I do like how The End of Evangelion answered more plot related things. I like them both together, but looking back on it all, I have to say that I prefer those final two bizzare episodes.

Oh yeah, and one other thing I really like about the remake so far, new music! I love hearing the new songs and more variations on those old songs from the show! I always liked all the variations of the themes in the show, so hearing even more is great.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    For me...there wasn't a point to Evangelon. And likewise, not to insult taste. It just felt...I dunno...pointless to me. The Penguin was a highlight though. :)
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I really have to disagree that there was no point to it. Like I've said about 500 times in this topic already, I felt that it took the subject of depression very seriously and maturely. Usually when I see depression and suicide in shows especially, it seems to feel so fake, like whoever wrote it is just going off of what they've read about that mindset, but Evangelion felt authentic, like the guy writing it actually knew what he was talking about and explored every nuance he could imagine in the show. In the end I think it became something very powerful and meaningful, because it went all out with it and said things that no one else seems to have the balls to say.
    Did you think that it just went round and round with their thoughts? That it was just the same thing over and over? Have you ever had thoughts similar to what the characters thought, especially in the second half of the show?
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I love a good character piece, but only when supported by a decent plot, and character growth.

I didn't feel like Evangelon had either.

That's about all I can say without hating on it. had a nice long post written up about everything I disliked about it, but that doesn't really add to the conversation. :) It just didn't have anything that appealed to my taste in stories. Code Geass had some good action, and good character growth, and while the final "reveal" with the emperor fell incredibly flat, the finale more than made up for it IMHO.
  • Very interesting read. Maybe the remake doesn't suck as much as I thought. Oh please let the movies end with a huge neon middle finger to the people who liked these stupid remakes and MEKS AND TITS YO EMO SUX: [url]http://chirart.tumblr.com/post/37808402478/evangelion-and-why-hideaki-anno-hates-you[/url]

Edit: My God I'm such an idiot. I had other windows open and I posted the wrong link.