Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

A Question on weapons

How are you going to do the weapons in this mod? what i mean is the beam/pulse/ weapons going to be hull damaging or sub-system damaging? Also what about fighters? in the show we've seen all of these things be both hull and sub-system damaging. Will we see breaching pods in single/multi-player? what roll will torpedoes and/or missles play, or will they play a roll at all?

i'm just interseted in some of the weapons dynamics as they stand right now and realize that they may change in the develpoment of the mod.

PS. I think that this mod is shaping up nicely and is on my top 3 mod watchlist, keep up the good work.

Comments

• I would assume that

A: There would be no shields on the ships

B: all weapons would be hull damaging, should they hit a subsystem, it would knock it out completley. My theory, as evidenced in the show the beam weapons in B5 are not to be taken lightly they are generally one shot kills against non first ones.

C. Thier would of course be anti fighter guns, necessity demands that as well as practicality, we have seen them used and they pretty much swat a fighter down as a effectively as a beam guts a cruiser.
  • jusasjusas Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE]How are you going to do the weapons in this mod? what i mean is the beam/pulse/ weapons going to be hull damaging or sub-system damaging?[/QUOTE]

Currently they're capable of doing both. Subsystems are harder to hit and don't get hit so often. If you want to take subsystems out, fighters are the tool for that job. But as Revan67 suggested it would probably be better if the subsystem hit probability was set low and damage high. I'll see how it works out.

[QUOTE]Also what about fighters? in the show we've seen all of these things be both hull and sub-system damaging. [/QUOTE]

At the moment fighters are mainly used for anti-fighter and anti-subsys purposes. Maybe fighters should make more hull damage - I don't know. This is still pretty much on the drawing board.

[QUOTE]Will we see breaching pods in single/multi-player? what roll will torpedoes and/or missles play, or will they play a roll at all?[/QUOTE]

Breaching pods and boarding shuttles yes. Missiles are there but for gameplay reasons they won't be used in regular ship designs. We've never seen Omegas launching missiles although they do have launchers... so we don't even know how much damage they can do. EA GOD platform does have missiles, it's one of its primary armaments and does therefore have them. It's also a game balance issue - ships with missiles can quickly gain the upper hand when no shields are involved... besides we never really saw missiles used in the series. The ships also have a pretty impressive array of pulse/beam weapons and there really aren't slots available for missile weapons, especially in Omega.

EDIT: And yes, flak is also there.

On a side note I tweaked the jump scripts a bit yesterday, nicer effects and ship entrance now :)
  • Thanks for answering my question, everything is pretty much what i would have done, only difference would be the GOD platforms use torpedos since we didn't see a massive explosion when they hit, but then again, Sheridan did say "target incoming missles" so you could go either way,since you can't target torpedos in nexus, or at least my limited knowlegde says you can't, and either way i'm happy :D , keep up the good work
  • the GOD platforms are the ones defending Earth?

those things kinda dissapointed me. I've heard from numerous sources that they're supposed to fire nukes, but from their damage effects they don't look very nukeish.

Plus that would be far more effective as a planet defense mechanism. it was fairly easy for a fleet of omegas to take out the defense platforms (they needed the minbari so they can take out the defense before they scortched earth, it was a timing issue, not a superiorirty issue).

its not like nukes are banned....sheridan used them against the Black Star, and he used them at Coriana 6.
    [QUOTE]Plus that would be far more effective as a planet defense mechanism. it was fairly easy for a fleet of omegas to take out the defense platforms (they needed the minbari so they can take out the defense before they scortched earth, it was a timing issue, not a superiorirty issue).[/QUOTE]

Do also note that the plan was to lure their ships away before the attack, leaving only static defenses behind. Yes, static defense satellites are nothing when compared to ships but they make an excellent support system for defending ships. The platforms can spit out missiles while the ships keep the enemy far enough that they can't engage the GOD platforms. Fighting ships and trying to avoid a salvo of missiles is not so easy ;)
  • You also have to remember that nukes don't have near the destructive power in space like they do in a planetary atmospere. Because you don't have the atmosperic "blast-wave" that rolls away from it, you need to be [I]very[/I] close to do much damage with a nuke. Hence, Sheridan using a asteroid both to shield it from detection and using it for "shrapnel" against the Minbari "Black Star".
  • you have a point, but....

a nuclear explosion is about 10,000,000 Kelvin.....

wouldn't you think that would melt a few ships?
  • yah, but in space there are no particles to transfer the heat, temperature is just the measure at which particles vibrate, sure, the radiation can transfer the heat, but not to the extent that particles in earth's atmosphere could. now, if you got a direct hit that would be bad.

also it's a moot point, we've only really seen nukes as specialty weapons on B5, blackstar, zahadum, etc. and the weapons fired from the G.O.D. platforms did not look anything like a nuke. although thats for Jusas and the CoL team to decide, as it may make them more fearsome due to there lack of mobility. in nexus if you take out someone's enigines, there basically good as dead because now you control how the battle is going to be fought,.although if there are more than one ships around, you still gotta watch out for it.
  • About the flak: Are they beams or is it possible for the game engine to make projectile-based flack?

And about the fighters/subsystems: Is it possible to make so that weapons would be easier to destroy (because you can clearly see 'em) than other systems w/ are inside the hull?
  • The current flak weapons in the mod are already projectile based. Nexus isnt limited as to what task a type of weapon can perfom as far as I have seen. That said the flak is alot more effective imho as projectile than beams :D

On the issue of the damage though Nexus makes no distinction between a device or a weapon system, which means in the end you have the same chance to destroy either.
  • ok, that's good to know about the flak..
    :)

How bout weapon hardpoints, is it possible to determine the arc of fire for weapons? like for Whitestars main beams that they would only fire forward, not like 180degrees around the hardpoint?

And finally: Jusas, if you still need some help with the missions, i am getting some hang on making them..
    Yes, the arc can be defined. We use it in Hyperion forward guns and Omega rear beams for example. Unfortunately it's just one value, meaning that horizontal and vertical angles can't be defined separately.

And yes, I'm always interested in mission scripters :) The more the merrier! You can contact me via ICQ 7459743, I can give you instructions on how to get the dev version etc.

Oh, and we also hang out in channel #b5.nexus in Quakenet.