Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Watched Sleeping in Light last night...

Took awhile, but got my wife all the way through Babylon 5. Sleeping in light...
*sigh*
'nuff said.

Comments

• :( I think about that episode from time to time.

Its been nearly 9 years since I watched it, which means its been almost ten years since I saw the series.
  • It's so cathartic an ending, and so perfect a one...

Sometimes I hear the music in my head.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    It's funny how much Babylon 5 is part of my life...
    For instance, every time I drive at my Grandparents town, their roads are perfectly straight, North, East, South and West, crossroads in the main square of town. I hear Sheridans voice "Pick a direction, no destination...a sunday drive." Been so long since I watched SiL that I forgot it was him saying it. (I have a hard time watching SiL, it's...hard to watch...just saddening)

Such a great series.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    It's been a few years now since I watched it last, but even just listening to the soundtrack gets me all emotional. I'd probably have watched B5 right through again sooner, if it weren't for the knowledge that I'll be an emotional wreck at the end. Still my favourite series though
  • The soundtrack makes it.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    I started watching B5 again last month, I'm on S3 now, forgot how much I missed it!
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    If we didn't just start rewatching West Wing for the third time.....
  • Mr_BesterMr_Bester Earthforce Officer St Louis MO
    I started a rewatch about 2 months ago, then school got in the way, so I'm only 8 or 9 episodes in. I'm thinking about starting over and forcing my 15 yr old daughter to watch with me. She loved Daredevil and other shows that I've "forced" her to watch, but season 1 might be a bit rough for her, maybe the skip around the filler versions?
  • edited April 2016
    Mr. Bester: You should be fine. I remember season one being pretty interesting due to all of the character development going on. Second time watching would be meh, but your daughter should be fine.

Also, on an unrelated note: I carpool with the friends that introduced me to B5 from time to time. Since I finished Season 5, the quality of the conversation in the car has gone down significantly.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I'd say that you should just acknowledge the cheesiness of the first season. We all know it has problems, and unfortunately, the good doesn't always make up for the bad in that season.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    It's been a few years since I've done a binge watch. I've been meaning to watch the reunion and convention DVDs that came out last year, and I'm waiting on my copy of the CNN footage, so maybe once I get through all of that I'll revisit the station in 2258.
  • Pixel_DonkeyPixel_Donkey Earthforce Officer
    I keep getting hooked on different netflix series, if I didn't have that I would be watching B5 again... if only Netflix UK would get B5 that would be awesome. It's weird how services like Netflix make putting in a DVD feel like a chore.
  • Netflix has B5 now?
  • maxdamagemaxdamage Earthforce Officer
    edited June 2016
    When I get to the right spot on my .mp3 playlist I get all of the intro and extros for the seasons of B5 played in the right order.... :D Plus still slowly working on my B5 3D models for HW2 just finding it difficult to get them finished. :( Have yet to get all of the episodes of B5 plus B5:Crusade as well and the movies.... :(
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Started rewatching not too long ago, as my wife had not seen B5, and I'd not watched it in 10 years likely!

What struck me is how contemporary the subject matter seems to be. Season 1 Eps like War Prayer and The Sky Full of Stars definitely convey a certain message in our current political climate.

Jake
    Now into Season 4, still funny how there are some words of warning, specifically in some of the dialog in Exercise of Vital Powers...just a tad bit scary...

Also, I am thinking that Lines of Communication may actually be the worst episode of the series (gasp!). Its really annoying when suddenly apparent limitations in technology are used to drive the action - "We've drifted closer to the Drakh ship" <-- In a ship that utilizes gravatic drives drifts? Lenner indicates that it would take 5 years to learn a particular maneuver, but he can program the computer to do it in a few minutes?

Jake
  • I do really like how they did the Drakh emissary that episode though. It was very....unsettling with the effect they used. Really wish they used that for the other Drakh.
    That's true, that was used to good effect. Read somewhere that the costume didn't look good, so adding the blur was a way to cover up bad costuming.

Jake
  • I'm wondering how long before I begin my next B5-A-Thon...
    My son is only 6 months old...he probably needs to be 10 or so to really appreciate it. We'll see...
    I'd anticipate at least 2-3 more watch through before then. :) Next time, I don't skip any episodes for my wifes benefit. (we stuck with the more plot centric or critical ones first time through)
  • Its been over ten years since I've seen it, so I really need to do another viewing.
  • Mr_BesterMr_Bester Earthforce Officer St Louis MO
    I'm into season 2 on my rewatch right now. I'm not full on bingeing though, I've got too much other stuff going. I should have started my daughter on it when she was around 10. I think it'll be too hard to get her to watch it now(she's 16).
    Hrm, now onto Season 5, having a bit of a hard time getting excited for some of the Byron-centric episodes, esh he can be annoying. Day of the Dead is a good one though.
  • About the Drakh, the reason the effect was added was because they wanted the Drakh to move weird, like maybe his skeletal system was different, but it ended up looking unintentionally humorous, so they added the blur to make it look better.
    Bill Mumy said that the guy playing the Minbari who was working with the Drakh kept forgetting his lines, and Mumy felt sorry for the guy playing the Drakh, since he was moving around all weird so much and they had to do lots of takes.