Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Star Trek

124»

Comments

• JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    What about [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473075/"]Prince of Persia[/URL]?
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I saw it last weekend so here's my thoughts (I haven't read through previous posts so I'm probably repeating what others have said).

Over all it was good. I went in hoping for it not to be crap as I really wanted it to work. It did. However I do think that some of the reviews out there were a bit too generous. In no way did it blow me away but the effects were pretty special.

A couple of things annoyed me though. The plot was very weak and been done before.

Star Trek Nemesis: bad guy turns up with big scary ship and threatens humanity + romulan connection

Star Trek reboot: bad guy turns up with big scary ship and threatens humanity + romulan connection

This really bugged me as the film went on. Felt a really lazy approach to be honest.

The other thing I felt very uncomfortable about was the way they've changed the future and wiped the slate clean. Discussing this with a friend we both agreed this is a good way to avoid the pitfalls of being compared/held to what's gone before. Thats all well and good but I just cannot shake the feeling that they've gone rough shod over everything thats gone before in the Trek universe. It kind of felt to me that TNG, DS9, Voyager (and to a lesser extent Enterprise) no longer mean anything as now its technically never happened. Maybe its just me but having grown up with TNG on tv, it holds special memories for me. Abrams has just swatted those away now.

But I suppose its for the good of the franchise...
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I saw it last weekend so here's my thoughts (I haven't read through previous posts so I'm probably repeating what others have said).

Over all it was good. I went in hoping for it not to be crap as I really wanted it to work. It did. However I do think that some of the reviews out there were a bit too generous. In no way did it blow me away but the effects were pretty special.

A couple of things annoyed me though. The plot was very weak and been done before.

Star Trek Nemesis: bad guy turns up with big scary ship and threatens humanity + romulan connection

Star Trek reboot: bad guy turns up with big scary ship and threatens humanity + romulan connection

This really bugged me as the film went on. Felt a really lazy approach to be honest.

The other thing I felt very uncomfortable about was the way they've changed the future and wiped the slate clean. Discussing this with a friend we both agreed this is a good way to avoid the pitfalls of being compared/held to what's gone before. Thats all well and good but I just cannot shake the feeling that they've gone rough shod over everything thats gone before in the Trek universe. It kind of felt to me that TNG, DS9, Voyager (and to a lesser extent Enterprise) no longer mean anything as now its technically never happened. Maybe its just me but having grown up with TNG on tv, it holds special memories for me. Abrams has just swatted those away now.

But I suppose its for the good of the franchise...
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Enterprise is the only Star Trek that actually happened, since it took place before the new movie.

I actually see it as a sequel to Nemesis. It was hinted at briefly with Spock's mindmeld and elaborated upon in the comics leading up to it.

Basically, after the events of Nemesis, the Romulans don't want a war with the Federation, they're still recovering from their losses to the Dominion. Diplomatic relations improve greatly and they're on somewhat friendly terms. Spock being on Romulas was in the ideal position to help that come along and when the supernova threat appeared, he used his ties with the Federation and Vulcan to try and save the planet.

It's a pity they didn't use any of that in the actual movie, it would have been a nice way to include the TNG cast but then it would be more for the fans and confuse the new audience they're trying to attract.

Worf
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Think of it this way: No new writers can continue to destroy that which we loved so much before. Instead, they can destroy a fresh new universe!

A reboot felt like the natural solution to many of trek's problem. The parent universe of this movie is extremely complex to the point of being overwhelming for writers and non-geeks. If you're not a hardcore fan, it really requires far too much time, effort, and care to catch up with how things got the way they are. Technology also became a crutch of the previously dominant trek universe, pulling poor stories along far too often (though nothing says this new universe can't/won't fall into the same trap).
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I think they presented technology-as-a-solution-to-a-problem well this time. It was shown that they were using a technological solution when they did, but they didn't give details except where necessary to make Scotty look mega-smart, and even then only enough details to illustrate that point. Although the transporting-across-lightyears thing was an annoying stretch, they didn't throw out a whole pile of technobabble about why they could do it.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    He did it by rerouting power from the plasma relays through the secondary eps conduits and connecting the transporters to the subspace transceiver array.

Worf
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    No, that would just amplify the love song of humpback whales during mating season. :D
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I saw the Sherlock Homes trailer today when I went to see Terminator 4.
    Ugh. Looks like they're going to totally screw up his personality, but what do you expect from Hollywood...
    And why are there a bunch of explosions? I don't remember much action in the Sherlock Holmes stories... Oh yeah, I already answered that. It's Hollywood.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Huh? What Holmes stories have you read? Theres plenty of action in several of them.
    That depends on your definition of action. There are no burning horse drawn coaches flying through the air in the original stories, IIRC. :D
    Yeah, that's more what I'm talking about Stingray. I don't remember big explosions in the original Sherlock Holmes stories.
    It just dawned on me, they are rebooting the Victorian Sherlock Holmes universe!! I didn't think they'd have the audacity to do that.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I didn't think it even needed it. It's not like they've worn it out...
    Of course, the big explosions in the trailer didn't bother me as much as how it looks like they're depicting Holmes as some sort of horndog. Did ANYONE involved in making that movie actually read the stories?
    By the way, I'm still not actually done with all the Sherlock Holmes stories. I've been reading them on and off since 2006.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Read? [URL="http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910868"] In this day and age?![/URL]
    Oh man, they should have made fun of I, Robot in that.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I FINALLY saw it.... my biggest complaint, Simon Pegg is not in every single scene, i love that guy...

It was Ok, i had my issues with it, but i really enjoyed the movie.