Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Moon and Mars can wait?

[URL="http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/10/nasa-panel-argues-for-flexible-path-mission-to-asteroids.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss"]An interesting article about NASA's future in space.[/URL]

Psst... the Shadows are already here... :alien:

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The report makes sound recommendations given the economic realities of space exploration in the US. It would be nice to think that NASA would suddenly get the budget to do the stuff it should be doing, but until another country (e.g. China - if they can stop possibly faking space walks) lands on the moon, such money is not likely to appear. The suggested targets are both just as valuable as the Moon: rendezvousing with an asteroid would be a wealth of knowledge, and being able to travel to and return from a LaGrange point is vital if in order to put a station at one - they are more ideal than the Moon or LEO for launching long-range missions.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    You just have to love mess politicians are capable to generating...

By accident member magazine of Finland's main astronomical associations had just article about all manned space vehicles which didn't materialize for some reason or other.
    Already space shuttle turned out to lot harder and more expensive to maintain and operate because insufficient development funding caused major compromises to original goals.
    And because of it not fulfilling original goals there have been many plans for building successor which have always fallen apart because of insufficient funding...
    Neither did Russian/Soviet Union get their shuttle farther than prototype/testing and they're still using 50 years old capsules.

If "fathers" of space programs knew it they would be indeed sad about current state of space exploration.
    It wasn't just insufficient funding that doomed the Space Shuttle to be half of what it could have been. There were conflicting goals from different parts of the US government, too. The Department of Defense wanted one thing, NASA wanted another, various senators wanted other things, etc.

Russia's latest shuttle getting shot down was a real shame. They had done some good design work on creating a proper space tug.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Meh, I have little hope for human space exploration TBH. Back to fantasy...
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I don't see why we don't take a look at what the russians are doing, We have many many extremely wealthy americans who would pay craploads to go into space. Sure it wouldnt pay for the whole space program, but having a passenger on each flight paying a few million to go up couldnt hurt.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    It's probably just a matter of time before space travel gets as "simple" as aviation is these days. The sad part is that we will probably not be around to see it happen.

Leonardo Da Vinci never saw a real flying helicopter... imagine that. :D
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    He may have never seen a real helicopter, but he did see the Starship Voyager...
    According to Brannon Braga? :D

Who knows, there probably was a schooner by that name...
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=Stingray;185061]It's probably just a matter of time before space travel gets as "simple" as aviation is these days. The sad part is that we will probably not be around to see it happen.[/QUOTE]Low sub orbital fligths above edge of space are actually quite simple and maybe inside five years there will be many operators doing those from multiple places around the world.

But orbital flights are entirely different thing because of need for lot more energy for getting up there and then getting rid of that energy without ship burning up (or exploding or something equally nice) when descending into atmosphere.
    I wonder if launches at Virgin Galactic are as pedantic as they are at the Cape.

We'd still be using mechanical computers if they were built by NASA. :D

"Left Pocket Protector? Check! L2B2? Check! Air Freshener? Check!"

I mean, WTF? :D

There are just too many technocrats sitting in those control rooms. I'm all for redundancy, but I'm sure this is going too far. I know the Shuttle performed admirably at keeping 30,000 engineers employed, but still.
    The Delta Clipper prooved to NASA that you don't need a room full of 50 people to manage a launch - they only needed 3. SpaceShipOne didn't need more than 3 or so people, either. It's all about automation. Unfortunately, NASA seems to require human-based redundancy.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    The reason for redundancy: Lost anything = major lost funding. One of NASA biggest issues is they have too many mistresses. There are too many different entities that want to have a stake in NASA outcomes that they aren't able to pursue one single minded goal with the vigor they did in the moon landing back in the sixties.

One of the best proposals in the report was that private companies handle ferry duties to ISS. I suspect that doing so would be a watershed moment in space travel.

Jake
    Yes, there are far too many people watching NASA too closely for the slightest slipup, the merest reason to cut funding. There's not enough acceptance of risk.

I completely agree with the report's finding that NASA should leave the surface-to-LEO to companies now. It's well-proven technology, we know we can do it. NASA should focus on the things we aren't so good at, like living in space for long periods and travelling a long way. Those are the things that a company won't attempt because there's no return.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;185075]Yes, there are far too many people watching NASA too closely for the slightest slipup, the merest reason to cut funding.[/QUOTE]

Do those slip-ups include Challenger and Columbia? Because those would explain the close scrutiny of those signing off the budgets.

[QUOTE]There's not enough acceptance of risk.[/QUOTE]

I could imagine that those working in the industry would disagree. They have to live with risk and deal with it on a daily basis. The problem is that mistakes are often costly and/or disastrous. Putting satellites into wrong orbits or sending probes crashing into planets isn't without consequences.

What they don't seem to try hard enough is to reduce the cost of putting payloads into orbit. This fact alone is slowing down the entire space effort to a snail's pace. Just by looking at the Ares rocket, you can see that it benefits from optimization. The subcontractors probably are feeling the economic crisis pinch.

So it is nice to see the private sector finally taking matters into its own hands.
    [QUOTE=Stingray;185081]Do those slip-ups include Challenger and Columbia? Because those would explain the close scrutiny of those signing off the budgets.[/quote]

Not what I meant. I meant that there are plenty of people who control the money who think it should go elsewhere, and wait for any excuse to do so. Any country's space program suffers the same thing.

[quote]I could imagine that those working in the industry would disagree. They have to live with risk and deal with it on a daily basis. The problem is that mistakes are often costly and/or disastrous. Putting satellites into wrong orbits or sending probes crashing into planets isn't without consequences.[/quote]

Those in the industry would probably agree with what I actually said. They themselves are aware of, accept and attempt to manage risk. Those in power who provide the money (e.g. senators) are too risk-adverse.

[quote]What they don't seem to try hard enough is to reduce the cost of putting payloads into orbit. This fact alone is slowing down the entire space effort to a snail's pace. Just by looking at the Ares rocket, you can see that it benefits from optimization. The subcontractors probably are feeling the economic crisis pinch.[/QUOTE]

NASA doesn't have the freedom to make intelligent decisions to reduce costs. Half the senators involved want a chunk of in their state, which means that bits are done all over the place to satisfy as many people as possible when it's time to vote on the next budget.

NASA is held back by politics in both safety and optimisation of programs. These are things private enterprise doesn't have to deal with... but just wait until the first fatal accident, and watch the investigations take off.