Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

They'll need a bigger runway!!

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/stratolaunch-plane-people-earth-orbit-203001086.html[/url]

Actually, the idea is brilliant and probably not new, but I'll look forward to a twin 747 taking off. :D

I mean when you look at Virgin Galactic's White Knight planes, it's rather obvious where they got the idea from, Burt Rutan and pals. ;)

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Nope, not a new idea but it is a pretty practical one. It'd certainly be a sight to see taking off!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;194433]I mean when you look at Virgin Galactic's White Knight planes, it's rather obvious where they got the idea from, Burt Rutan and pals. ;)[/QUOTE]

Particularly as Burt Rutan's company is building it. :)
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    That's not what I meant...

In aviation, whatever it is, the Germans have been there and tried it before.

Behold the Heinkel He 111 Z (Zwilling, or Twin)

[IMG]http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/aircraft/bomber/heinkel-he-111-bomber/heinkel-he-111-z-bomber-02.png[/IMG]

With questionable motives mind you... but they tried. ;)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    And unlike other twin-hulled aircraft dating back to the 1920's, this one carried a glider payload that it let go near the destination, then headed back home without landing, in the same way as Virgin Galactic's mothership does, and as the aircraft introing this article.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    My first thought was "When that rocket goes off, it's going to tear those engines right from the pylons!" of course not realising that the plane is just a mobile launch platform, Lol
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE=Stingray;194433]Actually, the idea is brilliant and probably not new, but I'll look forward to a twin 747 taking off. :D[/QUOTE]

Popular Mechanics (or Popular Science) had an article once with an illustration of a giant seaplane with two 747 fuselages as pontoons. Crazy stuff (as evidenced by it not actually being built).