Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

How Nerdy are YOU?

2»

Comments

• Problem with the test (like all test) is that it assumes you're a geek who is into everything from scifi to PC gaming to card gaming... Sure, I have the skiffy and the PC gaming down, but I despise DnD (discounting the PC games, which don't require me to calculate dexterity scores :p), and LOATHE TCGs. Perhaps a PC Gaming test would have given me my chance to shine. ;)
  • Bah, I was thinking of CMOS jumpers for question #3, that's why I got it wrong! :mad:

1) What is a "Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor"??

2) Found [URL=http://quiz.hotplugins.com/cgi-bin/showquiz.cgi?qzid=473]this[/URL] test while searching to figure out what the heck CMOS [i]does[/i] stand for. It's a decent test, rather easy, but I was surprised that I actually got all of the more technical questions. (95%)

3) What does CMOS stand for, as in the CMOS jumper on a mobo?
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    CMOS [i]still[/i] stands for Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor, even then.
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    1)[Quote]From [URL=http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213860,00.html]http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213860,00.html[/URL]
    CMOS (complementary metal-oxide semiconductor) is the semiconductor technology used in the transistors that are manufactured into most of today's computer microchips. Semiconductors are made of silicon and germanium, materials which "sort of" conduct electricity, but not enthusiastically. Areas of these materials that are "doped" by adding impurities become full-scale conductors of either extra electrons with a negative charge (N-type transistors) or of positive charge carriers (P-type transistors). In CMOS technology, both kinds of transistors are used in a complementary way to form a current gate that forms an effective means of electrical control. CMOS transistors use almost no power when not needed. As the current direction changes more rapidly, however, the transistors become hot. This characteristic tends to limit the speed at which microprocessors can operate.[/Quote]
    2) Fun test :) I disagree with the Mouse question though...any one of those could be correct. Ok, almost any... (2,3, and 5) It looks like a mouse to me! And not just because of it's wire tail. Besides, not every mouse has a tail...

3) er...no idea. I assume it has something to do with complementary metal-oxide semiconductors...

• [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Phi [/i]
    [B]2) Fun test :) I disagree with the Mouse question though...any one of those could be correct. Ok, almost any... (2,3, and 5) It looks like a mouse to me! And not just because of it's wire tail. Besides, not every mouse has a tail...

3) er...no idea. I assume it has something to do with complementary metal-oxide semiconductors...
    -Φ [/B][/QUOTE]

1 + 3) Ah! Nub me, I was under the impression that only the jumper (the one that resets the mobo) was called the CMOS!

2) I got it right (my mouse would have a severely deformed, squarish head ;)), but that is true. Give yourself 2.5 points.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    47.61904761904762% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

It just goes to show that these tests don't mean anything... I'm a much bigger nerd than that. ;)
  • I got 81% NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

damm nerds, they got me even though I didn't know half of those wierd questions.