Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Letter to my congressman and senators

I invite commentary and suggestions. I'd like to deliver an effective message, and anything you guys can come up with would be appreciated. Thanks.

I write to you, my duly elected representatives as a concerned constituent. I was deeply saddened by the events of September 11th, but I am equally disturbed by the subsequent reports that I have been reading in the news. Specifically, I refer to, the National ID card, and suspension of habeas corpus with reference to foreign immigrant suspects being held indefinitely without being charged with a crime. I am also disconcerted about reports of broader federal law enforcement measures, including the recent reports that the FBI has approached the Internet Service Providers about installing electronic communications monitoring systems.

I realize that with the recent events, emotions are running high, but now is the time for thoughtfulness and tempering legislation with common sense. I have heard talk of giving up some our freedoms for more security. Benjamin Franklin, in 1759, said it much more eloquently than I can when he said, "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

To give up our liberty for safety is to concede that the terrorists have won. There are news reports of weapons seizures at airports on the news. Some of these seizures include, nail files, nail clippers, cuticle scissors and disposable safety razors. There are also articles suggesting that an armed air marshal should be on every flight. I find it sad that common sense is giving way to panic. What will a hijacker do with a pair of nail clippers? Manicure them into submission? I also find it disheartening to live in a country where we feel it necessary to have armed guards on our airplanes.

I served in the US Army for five years, and this is not the freedom and democracy which I, and others, defended. Freedom is hard to gain and maintain, yet infinitely easier to lose. The founding fathers knew this. This message is evident in every line of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. There can be no higher ideals of freedom and liberty if we sacrifice the smaller ones.

Sincerely,

James M. Mabrey
Marietta, GA 9/20/01

Comments

• Very well written. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
    I just hope your politicians care more about what their employees think than they do here in the UK.

Cherio.

------------------
    Catapvltam habeo. Nisi pecvniam omnem mihi dabis, ad capvt tvvm saxvm immane mittam.
    Mater tva criceta fvit, et pater tvo redolvit bacarvm sambvcvs.
  • Hey Knave do you mind if i copy that and send it to my reps from CO?

------------------
    "Ambassador we all know that the first casulty of war is the truth."
    -John Sheridan
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Well, considering that armed air marshels worked in the '70s, I'm not really bothered by that. It's like complaning about the armed guards inside armored trucks. This makes more sence, considering a hijacker can hurt or kill anywhere from about 70 to over 400 people, as opposed to some bank losing a million dollars.

Look at it this way: Would you feel safer in an airplane knowng that if someone hijacks it, all that will stop that person is a collection of untrained and panicky passengers as opposed to a trained police officer?
  • hmmmm...

"National ID card.."
    I heard this suggested, and it wouldn't really bother me, nor do I think it would do much good.
    --
    "and suspension of habeas corpus with reference to foreign immigrant suspects being held indefinitely without being charged with a crime"

Ummm...I've been watching ALOT of news and didn't hear this. I heard that they changed the time legal time limit for detentions from 24 to 48 hours. Alot of the people are being held on illegal immigration charges I think because they know they are involved, but don't have something they can definately charge them with.
    --
    ". I am also disconcerted about reports of broader federal law enforcement measures, including the recent reports that the FBI has approached the Internet Service Providers about installing electronic communications monitoring systems"

I'm pretty certain they can do this now, or in the pasts with warrants, etc.
  • Rico, If you'd like to, Feel free. I was going to lay it on pretty thick: Invoking the Gettysburg Address "...conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition...," the Pledge of Allegience, "...One nation under God... Liberty and justice for all," and the holy of holies, the National Anthem, "Land of the free, home of the brave," But thought that was a bit much.

David, "Would you feel safer in an airplane knowng that if someone hijacks it, all that will stop that person is a collection of untrained and panicky passengers as opposed to a trained police officer?" No I wouldn't. There are guards in banks, and they get robbed all the time. Besides, if you have multiple hijackers and they overpower the air marshal, then they now have his weapon. Besides, can you imagine what a bullet can do the the cabin of an airplane at 23,000 feet?

Caanon,

I refer you to the following article, [url="http://www.atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2001-09-19/news_feature.html"]http://www.atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2001-09-19/news_feature.html[/url]

As well as this one [url="http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/terrorism/nation/0919wrap.html"]http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/terrorism/nation/0919wrap.html[/url]

Thanks for the comments, guys, keep them coming.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [quote]Originally posted by TheKnave:
    [b]There are guards in banks, and they get robbed all the time.[/b][/quote]

So, your saying that someone who doesn't hurt anyone and just wants money will elicit the same responce from an officer as a person stering a jet into a large building. People will be just a bit more daring when they don't have anything to lose. Also, assuming the robber had a gun (a situation practicly impossible in an airplane), just shooting the man would cause the gun to go off.

[quote][b] Besides, if you have multiple hijackers and they overpower the air marshal, then they now have his weapon.[/quote][/b]

Like they'll know. These werwn't people walking in with uniform and gun in full view as if they just walked out of the squad car. They travel in plain cloths, compleat with luggage. They don't broadcast their occupation along with the flight attendants and the captian. I don't recall one instance where an air marshal had his gun stolen in-flight during their time. Besides, I belive I saw on TV somewhere that they were puting plain cloths marshals on some flights already, and I saw this program at the end of last year.

[quote][b]Besides, can you imagine what a bullet can do the the cabin of an airplane at 23,000 feet?[/b][/quote]
    Lord, if you have this little faith in law enforcement, it's a wonder your still here. They arn't stupid. Once again, they were used with great success in the seventies, untill people stopped hijacking planes, at which point they faded away. One of the reasons for this success was the fact that they were armed with guns containing [i][b]soft-lead bullets[/b][/i]. Not stupid.

Also, considering that during the civil war, he suspended Habius Corpus, the right to go to court over the reasons for convictions, and establised secret military courts to deal with people [i]suspected[/i] of helping the South, I REALLY wouldn't quote Lincon in your letter.
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Or, if you are worried about inocents being hurt, you could use heavy sedative doses instead of actual bullets. No harm if one of the passangers gets hit, and no worry of decompression. Air marshals are the only way to now protect air flights.
  • HavokHavok Earthforce Officer
    For the Air Marshels, I think this is a very good idea. Modern weapon technology can be very useful. If I can take specialized rounds for a .44 Magnum, and shoot it into the side of a wood framed house, and nothing comes out the other side, I think they can come up with a leathel round that will not penetrate the skin of an airplane.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That is a very well written letter, in my opinion.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
    Amen. Very well done eliquent and to the point.