Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

...For As Long As This Place Remains

From humble beginnings...

Seriously, I did this picture because I was frustrated with another project and felt like making [i]something[/i] I could call finished, but I didn't have any images in my head. So I decided, what the hell, I'll duplicate a professionally made picture and call it a lighting exercise (and, hey, good lighting is important, and being able to figure out whatever the lighting setup was used at a glance is danged useful). So I picked the first (and so far, only) CGI still from the new Babylon 5 direct-to-DVD anthology series, “The Lost Tales.” This particular shot is from the opening sequence, and is itself a redo of a shot from the final episode of Babylon 5.

As with most of my recent pictures, the magic happened in Photoshop, where I began my customary bloom effect. Also, rather than just reducing the saturation of the picture, I duplicated the image on a new layer, made the duplicate grayscale in the channel mixer with a bias toward the blue channel, and then reduced the opacity of that layer. Finally, I applied a slight gaussian blur so that the Photoshop grain didn't look so perfectly pixeled.

[url=http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/iWeb/3D%20Website/Babylon%205_files/As%20Long%20As%20This%20Place%20Remains.jpg]HD Image[/url]

[url=http://www.babylon5scripts.com/TLT-JMS-Photos.html]Pictures from “The Lost Tales,” including the screencap this picture is based on.[/url]

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    :)

Certainly has that grain effect :)

I notice you put the Minbari cruiser on the correct side of the Primus :)
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    And it lines up perfectly with the original picture, confirming that it was, indeed, a layer-ordering problem in the composite.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    That Minbari Cruiser looks waaaaay too big :p
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    A lot better than the original. Great work!
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I agree, great job!!
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE=Falcon1;157897]That Minbari Cruiser looks waaaaay too big :p[/QUOTE]

It's closer to the camera, that's why it looks so big...
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    No way! That Vree saucer is way bigger than that Sharlin ;)