Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Download Problems...

TycoTyco RangerTexas
Hmmm... One think I like about this site... Smart people!

Now, time to get those thinking caps on.

Maybe it's because this is MY computer that I can't seem to solve this problem, but who knows. I have high speed internet for one... and over the past few months I seem to be downloading files that, upon completion (To be specific, it's mainly focused on zip and rar files), I would go to unzip the files and they would contain many corrupt files inside. I've had other people download the files, and for them it's fine... so I get the uneasy feeling my system's got a booboo.

That's kind of aggrivating when downloading 2+ gig ZIP files.

Regardless the site, I get constant barrages of corrupt downloads.

Could it possibly be a Windows problem, or is my connection somehow the problem?

I know this is kind of vague, but at 1am, I'm willing to monitor this post closely to provide more details.

Bedtime! Dallas Comic Con tomorrow }:)

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Well, one possibility is that your file system is having trouble addressing files over 1gb. That might be leading into the problem. A means of diagnosing this would be to attempt the download of a few different files, some in the 1gb range, some just under (900, 800) and some over the mark (1100, 1500, 1900). Otherwise, run any diagnostic apps you've got and see if any problems turn up.

Assuming it's not the file system, a better option to consider would be the method by which you are downloading the files in question. Try changing it to something else. Your post wasn't particularly informative, so I can't say much more than this. :p
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    It effects files from any and all ranges. (the 2 gigger was just the straw that broke the camels back)

I've run every diagnostic program in my arsenel, with nothing correcting this issue.

Aaaaand.... forgot to mention. My high speed internet is "radio internet", if that makes any sence. Wireless in other words, using FM signals. I've had it for about a year, and this problem is fairly recent.

I've used various download managers, fileplanets download software, and even good ole IE to download files, and I still get random corruptions.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    A way to rule the OS out of the equation would be to grab a livecd and try from that.

A 2nd thing to try (possibly quicker than the first, actually) would be to download a zip file, then confirm that it has corrupt files when you try to extract them. Once you have one, go get a copy of pkunzup and try extracting with that.

Another possibility is bad memory. Have you had any other instabilities? Get a mem tester and run it.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    The only issue is that if he has an inability to download large files, a livecd might be a problem ;) Lets hope he has a backup system.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    lol, he can buy mandriva linux preinstalled on a 4 gb USB drive...
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Do you experience system crashes frequently, Tyco? If so, I'd lean toward a memory issue. But do a memory test even if you don't. The type of issue you're experiencing seems to me to indicate it might be memory.

Try this: [url]http://www.memtest86.com[/url]

--RC