Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

General Lost Tales Review and Discussion

I have watched B5: Lost Tales.... lets just say I have a friend in the retail industry who got an advanced copy.

The good and bad:

The bad:

Very few actors in the whole thing... up to 5 or 6 only. Story seems to be very limited with the lack of the multitude of sets from the original show. It comes across as more of a test than an actual B5 story. Some shots look VERY blue-screen'ish.

The Good:

The intro will make some of you cry again (as i did), as it is a recreation of the end of "Sleeping in Light" (I cry multiple times even to this day when watching that episode) with G'kar doing a voice-over. Beautifully done!

The visuals, CGI, animation are VERY good. Much better than the original series and everything we have always wanted the show to look like all these years. Babylon 5 itself looks great with lots of detail, even up close. No more LEGO looking pieces or lo-res textures. You even see the words BABYLON 5 on the outer hull of the docking station. Something that was lacking on the original show, and a detail I never thought about...

The ships all also look much better with immensly more detail, and they get real close to the Starfurys to show it! They show a lot of the ships from the show, though very briefly!

The jumpgate and vortex look much better. Quantum space (faster than hyper space) looks cool.

Chris Frankes music is also nice to hear again!

The acting is good, just wish there were more main characters to see...

All in all pretty good, but seems very limited compared to what it should be, but i still liked it. I wanted more of everything which is good. That includes more DVDs!

To those who are wondering my name is Terry Hagerty. I've been a B5 nut since the very beginning. I have made mutiple B5 creations in Lightwave including a Narn Jumpgate, Drazi Sunhawk, and a Vorlon Fighter.

[url]http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-6414094234410701090[/url]

You can see these at the various B5 sites that feature such things. I have seen them used by various different people's web pages. I hope they need to use one of my models for reference for a future episode! I was making B5 animation with my little Amiga 1200 (with 10 megs of ram, ooooooh!), way back during the first season, but have since upgraded a little!;)

By the way. I am very thankful for this site. The only current reference to B5 I usualy get. Thank you!

Comments

• Holy Crap! I Got It!

Yeah, its awesome. Sure there were some issues with it (I'll describe them in more detail after people have seen them) but overall......it was good. The FX was awesome, naturally.

SPOILER (I don't know how to do tags)

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]wtf is up with quantum space?[/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    Well, I got it..

...at Best Buy...which comes with a "Best Buy exclusive" mini graphic novel/comic...that nearly made me cry. Haven't had a chance to watch the show yet.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Is this graphic novel B5 related? I might just decide to get it from there if it is.
  • Yeah I bought it from Best Buy too. The comic was awesome, though I wonder where in the time frame it takes place?
  • KonradKonrad Ranger
    Comic was great, DVD was even better. This had whatever may have been missing or not yet developed in “Legend of the Rangers." I'm thrilled.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I bought mine at Suncoast... I didn't get a comic. :(
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The comic, and TLT was indeed touching. It reached me even more today as my boyfriend left this morning to study abroad.
  • Yes, the opening intro with G'Kar 's voice-over and the Sleeping in Light music kills me. I bawl everytime i watch Sleeping in Light..... (34 year old guy too!)
  • Yeah, I'm not sure when in the time frame it takes place.

I'm not sure it really matters though, I don't think JMS was thinking too much about chronological integrity when he wrote it. :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    thagerty: i was pretty choked up too at that intro. I'm just watching it right now :)

Ok, just finished watching it.....words fail me; I cant describe how good it was to see Babylon 5 again. It was like seeing an old dear friend again for the first time in too many years; it was like picking up where we left off. I honestly can't think of anything wrong with TLT apart from it being too short.

Spoiler: It would have been nice to see Garibaldi and the others too, but who know's, we may yet. When Sheridan talked about G'Kar and then later Franklin being beyond the Rim, I will confess there were a few tears
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I thought the way Spoiler: G'kar and Franklin were mentioned was perfectly done and very touching.

Both stories were short but interesting, almost like teasers. I really really hope more will be produced.

Worf
    I particularly enjoyed the extras... the tributes were touching. I had no idea Richard Biggs was such a fan of his own show. Too often, especially in SciFi, we see actors who take their show for granted and even look down upon its fans. It was both refreshing and sad to realize how much he cared about the show.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I have to wait a few more weeks for the extra's. I was bad and couldnt wait for my DVD to arrive
  • Fantastic effects, interesting stories.

It was awesome!!!!!

Only bad part was that it was only 71 minutes long.....:(

I think there will be more of these to come.
    I just had to watch SiL after that. Just finished watching it and I'm now blubbing like a baby :(
  • Got it yesterday. Seen all of it twice, the Sherdon part three times. I don't like demons is space but I saw an out. :)
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [SPOILER]At the end, when Sheriden said 'Babylon 5 is about beginnings, and endings - I wonder which this will be?' - I said out loud, "Beginning!!"[/SPOILER]
    HuntSmacker: Damn straight! :D
    Spoiler: Demons in space? I'm pretty sure that it was some sort of dark Vorlon, given the role they played in our history.

Worf
  • [SPOILER]Yeah pretty sure they were just some alien species.[/SPOILER]
    My only complaint, other than how short it was, are the interiors. I know they were on a budget, but the sets weren't up to their usual standard. Maybe next time. :)
  • Sets? We don't need no stinkin' sets!!
    I know what you mean, they were taking the utilitarian concept a little to the extreme ;) still, for me it is easily forgiven given the VFX
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    If it were Spoiler: just an alien species, then they wouldn't have sent the guy back with the priest to be exorcised.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The Vorlons, being beings of light, were obviously responsible for the various religions for obvious reasons. Perhaps there is more to Spoiler: to exorcisesism than meets the eye. And havent you watched Doctor Who? You should know the power of words! Because the rules of one universe obviously apply to all of them ;)
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [SPOILER]Maybe the Vorlons imprisoned these guys on Earth..

Or, what if they are souls of somekind? The Soulhunters said, that once a soul is lost (not taken) then it's lost forever. But maybe that's because they aren't all that fancy enough to understand everything in the universe. Clearly an old species, but they aren't among the first ones to my knowledge? So maybe these things.. are souls on a level/plane that even Soulhunters can't understand.

Going by this method of thinking, it could mean they are human souls - the very human souls that were meant to be reborn into human bodies, however ended up being unable to due to the fact that Minbari souls were being sent to human bodies.. I know, crazy..haha[/SPOILER]
  • Spoiler inside, pretend there is a red line over this,... I'll be cryptic. When responses were made to things said. That was my hope.
    The spoiler tags are [ spoiler ] and [ / spoiler ] but without the spaces.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    My copy arrived this afternoon. I'm going to watch it tonight, after Doctor Who.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    And now that I've seen it, I thought it was really good. The parts that were on sets were a bit visually sparse, and the fact that each story only really had three major players was unusually small for the show (it felt like Babylon 5, the stage play, which is by no means a bad thing). I wondered a little why the Priest didn't ask for a telepath to check out the possessed guy when he first thought it was a fraud, since a teep could've projected out false sounds and smells, but I'll just assume Lochley already had a telepath scan him before the Priest came.