Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Ohio!

FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
Want to see what an Ohio class submarine propeller looks like? Microsoft is revealing state secrets :)

Apparently the technical design of this part (should be|is) highly protected, but not anymore .. the Live service says sometimes that bird's eye view is available -- I got it to work just by clicking the "Bird's eye view" icon on the left. Go figure.

[url=http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=ryqjnb4s57d5&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=10352732&encType=1]URLie[/url]

Comments

• Yeah, it's been there for ages... If its so damn secret, I wonder why no-one hasnt contacted Microsoft for removal/blurring the area?

Maybe it's a hoax... :rolleyes: or maybe its just some damn stupid propeller behind a sub, which is designed from drawings made by of some 4 year old kid.
  • FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
    Old news, then?

WTF .. a Finnish IT online mag just reported this today. Oh well, I'm not going to build a sub anywayz ..
  • Well the maps are at least 2 years old. I got a picture of my old car sitting next to my house, and the turtle sandbox.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Since Google put global satellite images online, many so-called "state secrets" have been revealed. Just because certain things weren't known to the public, doesn't mean that those who needed to know, didn't know, so all-in-all it's no big deal.

As for that sub screw, I doubt that it matters, at sea, the last way to detect an enemy sub is probably by sight and I don't think they need to rely on low resolution images for industrial espionage. What they are interested in, are construction blue prints.

What I want to know is, why are there diesel subs parked inside the Libyan harbor near Tripoli city? :D What do they need submarines for?
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    What I find more interesting is the equipment used around the dry dock, including the three cranes which look as if they can travel in a complete circle around the peir, the retractable building structure over the dock and the floating "fence" that surrounds everything.

Jake
    I agree, the design of maintenance infrastructure is far more interesting than the subs.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;164686]As for that sub screw, I doubt that it matters, at sea, the last way to detect an enemy sub is probably by sight and I don't think they need to rely on low resolution images for industrial espionage. What they are interested in, are construction blue prints.[/QUOTE]

The design of a sub's screw [i]does[/i] matter, a great deal, but not because an enemy could identify the sub type from it (which seems unlikely). The design determines how much noise the screw makes while moving the sub through the water, and thus how easy/hard the sub is to detect. Quieter screw designs allow for stealthier subs, which is among the most important parts of submarine design. By revealing the basic shape of an advanced submarine screw, you potentially give your enemies a boost in screw design that they otherwise might not have had.

I'm sure JohnD could explain it all better than that.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    I find the dock area more interesting as well. Caught my eye right away.

- PJH
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Biggles has the cat by the tail there. It is precisely because of the design of the screw that enemy subs can be identified. Each design of screw produces distinct differences in sound that can be identified by type to allow for the classification of a contact, and then subtle differences in the noise each contact emits can identify which individual sub it is in that given class. American subs are some of the best and hardest to detect in the world
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Well seeing that propeller makes things a lot easier for me. I've been building a nuclear sub in my backyard and now I have at least a starting point reference of how to design it.
  • Indeed. Now if only they would show a nuclear missile, I would be all set. I just can't seem to get the aerodynamics right.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Here's a tip: narrower nose than body.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Don't forget, the boom-thing goes on the bottom.
    What I meant was that it does NOT matter if there is a low resolution picture of the screw on the internet. Those that really want to know, get their info through other more reliable means.

All I know about subs, is what I've seen in movies and video games, so I've seen the green or amber displays and scopes of the gear that displays the sounds in the oceans for any telling noises. I've heard about cavitation and the shape of the screw determines how fast a sub can go without creating excess noise to give away its position.

But I have my doubts on what Hollywood teaches us in its movies, if they are as knowledgeable about subs as they are about computers, I doubt anything they tell us in their flicks, because they invariably suck at representing computers and all things related to them in a true light.

One ping, and one ping only, please. :D
    You mean caterpillar drive is not real??!
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;164714]Don't forget, the boom-thing goes on the bottom.[/QUOTE]

I think that depends on what kind of "boom" it is...

Jake
  • FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
    "Always a boom tomorrow."
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    No boom today, boom tomorw, always boom tomorow.

Dammit, you beat me to it!
    [QUOTE=Vorlons in my Head;164734]You mean caterpillar drive is not real??![/QUOTE]

I really don't know, sure looks like it could exist. :D AFAIK jet-skis have a propulsion system that doesn't use an exposed screw.

I'm also surprised that the Germans still build diesel-electric subs.

[URL="http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/dolphin/"]http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/dolphin/[/URL]
    Jetski's don't have exposed propellers but they still use one as an inpeller for the pump that "jets" the water out the back.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    [QUOTE=Stingray;164742]I really don't know, sure looks like it could exist. :D AFAIK jet-skis have a propulsion system that doesn't use an exposed screw.

I'm also surprised that the Germans still build diesel-electric subs.

[URL="http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/dolphin/"]http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/dolphin/[/URL][/QUOTE]

if you have a nuclear powered sub you might as well arm it with nuclear weapons. I'm not sure if europe would like the idea of germany with armed nuclear subs.

Hell most of the world doesn't like the idea of any armed nuclear subs.
    I'm sure with the right contact you can buy plenty of leftover neclear fuel from Russia at a bargain price so why bother with a diesel electric. :D
  • Or, you can come fishing to Finland. Due the Chernobyl disaster our fishes glow green in dark. I dont know does it work as fuel, but it sure tastes funny.
  • [IMG]http://www.kelleytown.com/Freeware/gcd/blinky.jpg[/IMG]
    [QUOTE=Vorlons in my Head;164734]You mean caterpillar drive is not real??![/QUOTE]

It is a real propolsion system, just not very pratical at the moment:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamic_drive[/url]

Jake
    On the other hand I'm sure those fish are completely decontaminated of poisonous bacteria and substances. You only need to worry about the radioactive poisoning. Narrows down the list of things to watch out for.