Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Color! In Space!

RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
I've been playing around with Paul Trenkler's Sovereign again, this time with real hubble background. A friend thought this picture was corny, but i think it's beautiful. There's nothing wrong with a bit of color in space :)

[URL="http://members.inode.at/clemens.gritsch/stuff/sov_test15b_1600.jpg"][IMG]http://members.inode.at/clemens.gritsch/stuff/sov_test15b_thumb.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Comments

• David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I think it looks great. The only problem (and it's a common one with Hubble backgrounds) is it takes me right out of the picture when I see something in the foreground blocking one of the lens flares in the original photo. If you photoshopped out the bits of lens flare peaking out from behind the port warp engine and saucer, it'll be perfect.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Or better yet, add them back in for just a bit more depth.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;166954]I think it looks great. The only problem (and it's a common one with Hubble backgrounds) is it takes me right out of the picture when I see something in the foreground blocking one of the lens flares in the original photo. If you photoshopped out the bits of lens flare peaking out from behind the port warp engine and saucer, it'll be perfect.[/QUOTE]
    That's something i was curious if people saw. I've made a rendering with them removed from the background, though it seems i forgot to reenable the effects (contrast, bloom etc), and since it takes 4 hours for a frame (at 4096x1743), I'll probably not rerender it today (22:45 over here)
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;166963]Or better yet, add them back in for just a bit more depth.[/QUOTE]
    That would require me doing post in photoshop.... :laugh:
    also, one additional thing worth noting...

The soverign lacks the noise level of the background image. This makes it stick out just a tiny bit more.

But I guess that requires photoshop, too ;)
    Actually, that's something that i can do in 3ds max :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Compositing is something I never really got the hang of. Matching lighting levels is such a pain. :)
    I haven't yet figured out how to export a render from 3dsmax with a transparent background or at least an alpha channel that's usable in photoshop, so no compositing here either :)

btw, finally managed to render it with the new background and without errors :)
    It looks much better without that glitch. Excellent!
    Bah. Matching and compositing is easy. Modeling, now that's hard :P

Agreed. The improvement is substantial. Though I'm having a trouble focusing on the screen. :P
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;167083]Bah. Matching and compositing is easy. Modeling, now that's hard :P[/QUOTE]

Why do you think it takes me six months to do the same amount of modeling Fabio or Nadab could've done in two weeks?
    Because they are ancient greek gods?
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    There is no ancient greek god of 3d-modeling. That would be a new greek god.
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;167083]Bah. Matching and compositing is easy. Modeling, now that's hard :P

Agreed. The improvement is substantial. Though I'm having a trouble focusing on the screen. :P[/QUOTE]
    Less alcohol usually helps with the focusing :)

[QUOTE=David of Mac;167088]Why do you think it takes me six months to do the same amount of modeling Fabio or Nadab could've done in two weeks?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how someone can take LESS than 75 years to do a highpoly model, let alone texture it...