Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

New York State Law is stupid...

sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
OK, so I've decided I want to vote for Republican Ron Paul in the presidential primary, right? Get this. The law in New York State is such that if you want to vote in a primary you have to declare a party before hand. Well, the elections website is so messed up, it lead me to believe the voter registration deadline was the same as the party change deadline. I have to change my party from Independent to Republican. Turns out, the party change deadline is 3 weeks before the previous general election....which was in November....

NOWHERE on the site does it specifically state this. In fact, the website is almost completely out of date. So because I didn't change my party 3 months ago, I can't vote in this primary at all, for anyone. I feel like I've been cheated out of my rights as an American. Fucking New York State. :indymad:

Comments

• if your registered independent, can't you vote in either the Republican or Democratic primaries?

...and GO RON PAUL!
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    Nope, you can only vote in an Independent primary and they're not having one.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    You Americans have a weird system
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    That is indeed weird and also sort of non-democratic. But then over here you don't have to be affiliated to any party to vote, because voting is mandatory, which is probably non-democratic. :D

So, you see, you can't have it both ways.
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;168857]You Americans have a weird system[/QUOTE]

It's not the American system, it's the New York State system. Each state sets its own rules and laws about voting. Some states have closed primaries where you can only vote for candidates in one party or the other and some are open, i.e. you can vote for a Republican AND a Democrat.

In Illinois, where I grew up, it was also a closed primary, but you were allowed to pick your party at the door on the day rather than establishing it before hand. A MUCH better system in my opinion.

I had intended to declare my party earlier, but I was really torn between Ron Paul and a couple Democrats so I waited until I had made my mind up. This stupid system here doesn't allow you do that which I think is unfair. If I was a declared Democrat, I would have had the same problem, I would have been forced to vote only for a Democrat, I wouldn't have been able to vote for Paul. I don't think it's right for a system to force you to change your party way in advance before you know enough about who's running. It doesn't allow anyone to change their minds and isn't that what campaigning is about?

If I changed my party today, I would still have to wait until AFTER the next general election, which is November 4th, for it to show as changed. Fortunately, you aren't limited by party for the general election. That really WOULD be bullshit.
  • In NY you can be a member of the independent party or be a non-affiliate independent, you have to be a party member to vote in the any political party primary. Non-affiliate independents can only vote in general elections. The reason is actually pretty good, Democrats which are the majority cannot choose the Republican candidate and vice versa messing up election results for that party's primary. You have to choose this 25 days before the election.

look at link [url]http://www.elections.state.ny.us/NYSBOE/download/voting/voteform.pdf[/url]

Why did you procrastinate for so long? Choose a party or none.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Oregon also has a closed primary, but I think I am going to stay independent.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Ok, so you New Yorkers are weird! I should know, my aunt is one! heh :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Isn't the whole point of that so that people who are of another party can't try and skew the results for the candidate of a particular party? If you want to have the party system, accept that that's how it must work. Otherwise, do the sensible thing and skip this primaries crap and just let the public decide between a larger number of candidates. :)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Maine has Closed Primaries, and i'm registered independant, so i dont get to vote in the Primaries, just the General Election, many states are this way, however, many states will also let you change your party until day of election (some will actually let you change day of)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    You can't vote at all or just for partisan candidates?