Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Into the Fire music

I remember reading somewhere about how the Into the Fire game's music was actually supposed to change depending on how the battle goes. Anyone know if that's true? I'm wondering how that would happen, maybe similar to how the music in Metal Gear Solid 2 sometimes works?

Comments

• A2597A2597 Fanboy
    no, Christopher Franke wrote over 100 main themes, each lasting ~3 minutes long, then wrote thousands of transitional pieces, so every main theme would flow seamlessly from one to another. Even if you knew a transition was coming, it was undetectable.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I've heard it in action -- it is really amazing when one thinks about it
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I downloaded the music from [url]http://archive.firstones.com/musicofb5/music_misc.html[/url] earlier. Is the music there actually examples of what you were talking about, A2597?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    A# neglected to put a smily in his post. Probably on purpose. :p

The music in ITF consisted of a large number of very short (typically half a minute long) pieces. The game engine used a weird mathematical formula to calculate the current "mood," and would choose pieces appropriately to give a smooth flow between different moods, making it sound like a single piece of music. It really is quite amazing to hear it working. The "Battle Sequence" tracks on that page are hand-made examples of what it would sound like.
    So is the music at that site actually examples of this, Biggles?
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I could only tell when I heard phrases in the short version of the ITF music used in the longer version. Since I was familiar with them, I picked up on the shift, though it sounded really smooth.
    While I'm at it, I was also wondering about the whole "consequences" thing. I seem to remember reading that if you lose a battle, it doesn't give you some "MISSION FAILED" thing, but that you would have to live with the consequences of that. I'm wondering how that worked. And since I also seem to remember that we'd be able to go pretty much wherever we wanted whenever we wanted, I've always wondered about using some cheat and blowing up B5 and seeing what would happen because of that.
  • Wing Commander did that, where if you failed a mission it gave you a different branch.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Wing Commander's branches were scripted into the game, sometimes you could just carry on with the story, sometimes it would put you on alternate storyline where you ultimately cannot win.

And sometimes it just killed you.

My understanding is that ITF was more dynamic than that.

Worf