Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

Comments

• Dr. Rush is no good
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    After with what happened to Riley, I would not want to be in Rush's shoes when Young finds out. (and you know he will)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Indeed. And I noticed that it was directed this week by Robert Carlyle. Quite a solid episode to his credit I thought
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Aaaand I'm back!

So first things first, I'm going to quickly tackle my gripes (as expected :p). This season got itself off to a fairly weak start but has steadily improved. The biggest flaw, I believe, was the continuation of the plot from "Faith" so early on. While the story was indeed mysterious and worth continuing, it suffers greatly by not having enough pregnancy buildup having occurred. We were supposed to care about it, but I really didn't. I am still interested in learning where the story leads, but I was hoping for more long and drawn-out mystery.

The quick and abrupt end to keeping large numbers of Lucian Alliance members onboard seemed like a cop-out. I understand the situation, but it seemed put into place exclusively to provide another topic for a future power struggle and/or a seed for a future recurring enemy. Given how every single planet people get stuck on has some sort of technological escape convenience, they'll likely find one. I'm also a little less than happy about the remaining stereotypes. Repentant buff dude, angry-untrustworthy guy, and hot red-headed nerd chick. I don't disagree with keeping some around, but these three make it clear that the only reason everyone else was dumped because they [i]wouldn't[/i] cause future conflict!

The magical healing and apparent blue-conversion of Chloe seems to be another unneeded twist in her character. Out of everyone who could be expanded upon in some way....why her?

Imaginary guides seem like they may become a recurring theme this season. I like this, as it presents us with one of two ideas, both interesting. They either embody the thoughts of the characters, or are an outside force pushing and nudging them in various directions. I'm suspecting it's the latter (as that's where these writers tend to lean).

I am loving the continuation of Young's descent into crazyland. He's crazy! And it interests me!

Blues vs. Browns. They share more than just a passing resemblance to one another. There will probably be a more clear link eventually...one in which Telford re-appears as Alien Jesus, lord and savior of Destiny! I was hoping the blues wouldn't be back, but it seems like they will.

I still hate the music-montages. It's a shame they're with us in the second season.

This latest episode was fantastic. Rush at his best/worst. The lead-up to this has been equally fantastic. I'm also very glad to see that those who know him directly are, in fact, suspicious of his lazy excuses. He's directly responsible for the death of at least one crew member and knows this, yet he refuses to trust anyone else enough to relinquish control of the ship.

So far, the season is solid.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    The thing about leaving those lucian alliance people on that planet is, while it might have a stargate, they have nothing to control it with.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Wow, I was expecting you to come out and slate it Sanfam! :p

Even more disturbing is how much I agree with most of your points. Except about the Blues, I quite liked them.
    The blues were a nice opposition, but the problem was largely that they were apparently of equal capability, but didn't seem to have a sufficiently strong reason for why they were so interested or persistent, or more specifically...inconsistently focused. What made the matter more confused was how apparently adept they were at interstellar travel. This group had managed to create a means of FTL travel that was seemingly equal to that of Destiny (whose own drive appears to be a unique blend of linear acceleration/decelleration-over-time). But this cannot be explained away like the Stargates and Hyperdrive. In the Milky Way, this made sense because the Ancients provided the seed for all current races to live and thrive. But this several galaxies separated, seems to have suffered from an unfortunate writing mishap. It might be explained away in the future, but it just seems like they've got no technological reason to be interested or any other obvious reason to be so combat anxious, either.

Perhaps the blame lies in the bureaucratic...Blue tape? :vorlon:

My thoughts are largely technobabble explain-o-matic problems, not really serious writing or production quality issues, I doubt anybody else is perturbed by this stuff...but it bugs the shit out of me!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The Blues wanting Destiny can easily be explained.

A large, mysterious ship is passing through their galaxy, why would they not be curious about it and want to get aboard?
    And this week, we have the Zerg.
    [QUOTE=WORF;190285]The Blues wanting Destiny can easily be explained.

A large, mysterious ship is passing through their galaxy, why would they not be curious about it and want to get aboard?[/QUOTE]

Curiosity only explains a small portion of it. Their pattern is obsession.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Maybe that species suffers from OCD?
    [QUOTE=Biggles;190322]Maybe that species suffers from OCD?[/QUOTE]
    Or maybe Destiny stole all their left socks, and they want them back?
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    So another infection episode which for a moment felt like Day of the Triffids.

Sanfam that was quite funny about Telford. I did actually think in that scene they would be pissed at him or a bit like the yellow guys from Toy Story... "Ooooooh The CLAAAW".

It does seem they thought the only option with Cloe was to have her character mutate. Appears killing her off wasn't on the cards. Oh well.

Regarding the Blues obsession with Destiny didn't Rush comment about the chair not allowing aliens sit in it (i.e. killing them). Given how easy it was to find the chair (compared to the bridge) they obviously found it and realised they had no way of gaining control. So Chloe is the obvious solution to their problem.
  • F-i-l-l-e-r
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Wait didn't they do that in... Atlantis... or was it...
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thLf2VaWDzg]Awakening outtake.[/url]

So clearly, they still know how to have a little bit of fun on-set, even if they aren't doing it so much.

Not that it's the show's main problem or anything, but the next time anyone ever points to nuBSG as being relentlessly grim, I'm showing them Universe. They have no Baltar, no humor, gallows or otherwise, ("Sir, I'd like to request a transfer." "All transfers in writing." "I'll get a pen." -- "Hey, Apollo, not that I'm not honored to be picked to sit in my cockpit for another three hours, but—" "Why you? Take a guess." "'Cause I'm on drugs?"), and even depressingly little emotional tenderness. Last week was the first time I got the impression that Scott and Chloe were even slightly more than pretending to care about each other, and poor Young is so high-strung that he can't ever relax with his buddy, his wife, or his mistress.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That little brown guy has really big hands.
    So now we know what Destiny's mission is. Unless Rush lied of course.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    At this point, I think everything he says is a lie.
    Something tells me that Rush won't be safe alone on the ship, now that everyone knows about his role in a certain someone's death. If he thought the pounding that Young gave him was bad...
    Yeah I think Rush is going to be in a bit of trouble with the rest of the crew after this, as is Gin/Perry by the looks of it.

I think Rush probably is telling the truth about the mission, but only because I can't see what he'd have to gain by keeping it a secret at this point. Now the crew have control over Destiny, keeping the mission secret would just be inviting them to deviate from it. As for the mission itself, if it's true, it would be pretty epic from a scientific standpoint, altho I can't help feel that the reveal was rather underwhelming for something thats taken 1.5 seasons to uncover
    I liked the way it was revealed, it makes you not sure if Rush is still lying or not. If it had been part of the mid season finale, it would have been more epic but there would be more certainty to it as well.

At the end Young was checking to see if the files confirming Rush's story existed and they hadn't been found yet.

Worf
    Indeed. I'm really looking forward to next weeks episode to see what happens, something that I haven't felt before so far this season. I think it's starting to pick up now
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;190401]Yeah I think Rush is going to be in a bit of trouble with the rest of the crew after this, as is Gin/Perry by the looks of it.

I think Rush probably is telling the truth about the mission, but only because I can't see what he'd have to gain by keeping it a secret at this point. Now the crew have control over Destiny, keeping the mission secret would just be inviting them to deviate from it. As for the mission itself, if it's true, it would be pretty epic from a scientific standpoint, altho I can't help feel that the reveal was rather underwhelming for something thats taken 1.5 seasons to uncover[/QUOTE]
    There's also the fact that the countdown clock is no longer a necessary plot point.
    Im not too sorry about that to be honest. I always thought it did give an unnecessary sense of urgency to the most trivial of plot points. I mean, if the ship is seriously intelligent enough to figure out when they need food and water and stop at the relevant planets for them to resupply, then why would it seriously need a countdown clock?
    It was suggested in 200.
  • They keep killing [url=http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/7838/shirleydead.jpg]Shirley[/url].
    Well, so much for the countdown clock going away...
  • Like a horse with a broken leg.
    Actually, I suspect Eli is right. The clock is there for a reason, to make sure the ship is able to reach certain places, so that may come back to haunt them.