Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

Comments

• Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Honestly, I think the biggest plus of this episode was the return of Eli's scifi movie references.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Telford suddenly reappears on a ship full of aliens, has his mind messed with and pumped full of alien visions, and [B]noone[/B] is even slightly suspicious of him or his motives? Ok, it didnt turn out that way, but seriously?? :rolleyes:
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I had that thought too.

Maybe the writers thought by not mentioning it, they weren't repeating the plotline of Telford under enemy influence.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Again...
  • replicator slant. robots again.
    Replicators will make me stop watching.
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;190624]Telford suddenly reappears on a ship full of aliens, has his mind messed with and pumped full of alien visions, and [B]noone[/B] is even slightly suspicious of him or his motives? Ok, it didnt turn out that way, but seriously?? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, that bugged me too! Especially after the harsh treatment Young gave a certain group of people fairly recently...
    Indeed, I was sat there just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Just too much to cram into one episode I guess :s
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Yeah I agree I too felt the episode was a bit out of pace with the rest but overall it was good. And yes they did try to cram in too much I think. I too hope we don't get another replicator angle. They should have learned by now not to go down that path. I expect the small ships are drones with the command ship being manned by a crew of other aliens (like the Droid army setup in Star Wars). But to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if they are all drones.

I think the situation with Telford isn't finished. I mean he only had like a day/ 2 days stubble! Very suspicious if you ask me :D
    You know, I really hope they don't make the second part into a rip on The Last Starfighter. The show is just too serious for any kind of parody episode to really work.
    Yeah that is one of the few things I don't like about SGU, its seriousness. I miss the humour of Atlantis and SG-1. Infact I've just gone back and am doing a run thru of Atlantis at the moment. I've just gotten to Todd's first appearance :D
    Hell, I've just gotten to "Harmony", which is the one with the bratty little girl that's next in line to be Queen.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I always loved that about Stargate. Even in a bad episode you could sit back and relax, enjoy the odd bit of humour here and there and generally come away from an episode with a content feeling. With Universe, it's just... Ugh!

I am not saying that the stories they tell are bad, and that all of the characters are bad - because they aren't. There are some very interesting characters (and some very not...) and the art direction of the show is beautiful. But it feels like the same stuff every week. To me, Universe would've been much better as a 2-3 hour feature length movie than a series.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    The thing is though, Atlantis proved that you couldn't just copy the source material and do SG1 with different characters. You needed to have something different to continue Stargate. Otherwise, they should never have canceled SG1.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    The tragedy of Atlantis was that while the show repeatedly managed to find its own rhythm, the production staff seemed unwilling to accept that it would not capture the entirety of SG-1's audience. What made SG-1 great was not something that could simply be copied to any other show (even within the same universe), and each attempt to do just that only made matters worse by alienating the fans of both.

While SGU does not have quite the same level of comedy, but recent episodes have shown that the writers are attempting to introduce it organically.

I like SGU. Excluding Chloe, I like all of the characters in some way. While the show does have some nagging tendencies to completely undo any long-term change, it seems to be slowly working away from that.
    I tell ya, I am literally screaming at the screen every week to hurry and kill Chloe off.
    Chloe certainly isn't the best character, but she's hot which makes it better for me! :p
    [QUOTE=SpiritOne;190721]The thing is though, Atlantis proved that you couldn't just copy the source material and do SG1 with different characters. You needed to have something different to continue Stargate. Otherwise, they should never have canceled SG1.[/QUOTE]
    Actually, they cancelled SG-1 because Scifi (I [b]refuse[/b] to use the stupid phonetic name change!) felt that it competed too much with Atlantis. Probably for the best anyways, since SG-1 was starting to go downhill.

As for SG-U, I like the characters (except for Chloe), and love the callbacks, but overall the writing quality this season pretty much sucks. It's like they don't know where they want to go yet, and we're already a year and a half into the story. At this rate, I'll be amazed if they finish out the season.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Vertigo1;190733]Scifi (I [b]refuse[/b] to use the stupid phonetic name change!)[/QUOTE]

Siffy!
    SciFi by the lowest common denominator more like :rolleyes:
    I dunno if I am alone with this, but I thought Woolsey was the best commander on Atlantis :D
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    He was a damn sight better than Carter. I literally forgot most of season 4 happened.
    I like Carter as a character and the actress that played her but she didn't really belong on Atlantis.

It felt more like an attempt to get SG-1 fans watching the show.

Weir was best in my mind :)
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Wier was the worst in my mind. She made worse decisions than She who will not be named.
    [QUOTE=HuntSmacker;190739]I dunno if I am alone with this, but I thought Woolsey was the best commander on Atlantis :D[/QUOTE]
    Too bad he turned into a chickenshit, every time they got near the wraith. ;)

It's a shame we never really got to see the renegade Asgards, and those green dudes more than once, since they seemed like more of a threat than the wraith.
    Ah yes, the evil Asgard. The big, new, massively hyped enemy...they only used once.
    Yeah that was rather disappointing that so little use was made of them. I think evil Asguard would have been a great enemy, an evil twist on the benevolent aliens we knew
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Evil Asgard were too little too late really. Huge shame. Maybe they should have thought of that before coming up with lego spiders.

Did anything happen in S4 of Atlantis?? :p

I haven't been too impressed with the blue aliens in SGU. Compared with the Wraith or the Goa'uld they are not that scary really. Hasn't helped I guess that they haven't been round that much.

Regarding Destiny, in the last episode, large sections of the ship looked pretty screwed. They're gonna need to plug those holes in the hull soon. Maybe they can use the seed ship, assuming it survives.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=Imhotep;190728]I am bit confused by some of you stating that Atlantis proved that following SG-1 style didn't work? Really? 5 Seasons and didcated fan base proved that how exactly? There were elements of Atlantis that were similar but the cast, tone, and what not I always felt gave it a different feel. Evidence I could use was bringing in Carter to run Atlantis, and yet she always felt a bit out of place. Her character from SG-1 didn't fit in with Atlantis. I love Amanda's work on SG-1 and how she plays Carter but the way the wrote her into Atlantis didn't work. It wasn't her fault and moving on with Sanctuary was a great choice, which I enjoy a lot! My point is when they actually tried to infuse Atlantis with SG-1 it didn't work out as well, thus showing that Atlantis was standing on its own. Even though it had the same template as SG-1, I feel like it had grown on its own and was successful![/QUOTE]

I'm generally assuming this was directed at my remarks. What I intended to say, though didn't make particularly clear, was that while SG:A started off unique and quickly managed to form a comfortable niche with a strong fan following, the show runners slowly changed this over time to match the formula of SG-1, right into bringing in major SG-1 cast members as recurring guest stars and regulars. Your example of Carter being introduced is evidence supporting my case, as it only managed to further alienate the audience already dissatisfied with the removal of Weir. The elimination of the wraith as a threat and resolution of the ZPM crisis just made it into SG-1 again. Worse, all the way through the show's run, any characters not fitting into SG-1's niche were killed off or mutated, typically making them guest stars or recurring characters instead of costars.
    In their defense, the actress that played Weir did quit the show, and refused to work with them again.

[quote="Falcon1"]Evil Asgard were too little too late really. Huge shame. Maybe they should have thought of that before coming up with lego spiders.

Did anything happen in S4 of Atlantis?? [/quote]

From what I remember, they originally intended the replicators to be the primary threat of the show. However, they realized that they created too powerful of a foe too quickly, and thus had to get rid of them before they wrote themselves too deeply into a hole. The wraith were supposed to be a stop-gap before they setup the replicators.

Though what pisses me off, is that every major race in the series is tactically retarded. The only exceptions to that rule were the Pegasus Replicators, and the Renegade Asgard. Granted, they still weren't as tactfully wise as I would have liked, this idea that anyone more technologically advanced than us suddenly loses the ability to think is just plain stupid. It's an insult to our intelligence, as fans of the series.

As for anything happening in season four, just them wiping out the evil replicators, introducing Repli-Weir (which won't pay off till the final season), and more storybuilding with Michael and Todd. That, and some character building episodes for Teyla and Keller, and introducing McKay's sister (who's portrayed by David Hewlett's actual sister Kate). That's really about it.

[QUOTE=WORF;190745]Ah yes, the evil Asgard. The big, new, massively hyped enemy...they only used once.[/QUOTE]
    Honestly, I think they wanted to use them again, but they got cancelled before they could get to establishing them as a credible threat.