Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I don't suppose you know when the Xmas day episode airs? Hopefully not when I'm at work on nightshift!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Christmas Day at 6pm.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    There's Sanctuary as well but its changed alot from the original web only format and I'm not too happy with those changes.

Apart from that its just re-runs really.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=WORF;190824]Christmas Day at 6pm.[/QUOTE]
    Is just an hour long show? Any more than that and I'll have to wait till boxing day to see it :(

Falcon1: I never really got into Sanctuary even when it was a web-show, but given the dearth of other shows out there, I may have to give it a go
    Its not bad. Christopher Heyerdhal is brilliant as Jack the Ripper, very creepy and they give him witty lines like with his Todd character in SGA. And Amanda Tapping looks hot with dark hair :D

Just to add though some of the 100% cgi sets are a bit iffy at times and look a bit naff but they haven't got a massive budget.
    Yep, it ends at 7.

That description of Sanctuary's CGI doesn't give me much hope for Blood and Chrome.
    Awesome, something to cheer me up before heading into work!

I think I'm going to give up on watching scifi on tv and just stick to books and movies. Scifi on tv is proving too disheartening. If there's a good show on, you can bet it won't be for much longer
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;190801]One day producers are going to need to learn how to take Internet- and DVR-viewership into account. Old-fashioned broadcast viewer counts are only going to go down. The trend is exaggerated in areas such as scifi because scifi viewers are often early adopters.[/QUOTE]

Here's the problem: Outside of product placement, nobody has found a reliable means of monetizing content that has been DVRed and/or placed online. While fairly accurate viewing numbers can be gathered from each of these, that means nothing unless the audience pays attention to advertising and buys into it. An unfortunate problem that Hulu seems to have encountered is that while audiences view the ads, significantly less seem to follow through on the buy-in side when compared to the same ads on television.

My suspicion is that Eureka has shown us how things will eventually run. Season 3 introduced two [b]extremely[/b] product-centric episodes, with a handful of others with strong product identification. One episode was basically an overt advertisement for Degree anti-persperant, where it not only appeared throughout but actually served as the cure for the world-ending problem of the week. In another example, Subaru placed their then-new WRX into the hands of two characters, giving one car an artificial intelligence and going as far as to make an irregular character for the remainder of the season. The remaining portion of the season featured large portions of explicit beauty shots and near constant bragging about its abilities and positive characteristics. Another show I've seen lately with enormous--though more subtle--product placement is Bones. Toyota purchased spots within the show to advertise their cars, embedding scenes where characters enjoy the comfort and ride quality (or other technically minded features).

The key to success in this case seems to be focused on shows with a relatively intelligent and tech savvy audience.
    That kind of product placement only works on shows based in the real world.

An episode of Battlestar Galactica that focused on promoting Toyota would kill off the audience pretty quickly.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The Japanese figured out how to produce loads of scifi with good stories really cheaply a long time ago: animate it. It's a lot cheaper to pay a bunch of minimum-wage animators in the Philippines and pay a few desperate voice actors just enough to cover their train fare than it is to make something live action. :p
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE=Biggles;190801]One day producers are going to need to learn how to take Internet- and DVR-viewership into account. Old-fashioned broadcast viewer counts are only going to go down. The trend is exaggerated in areas such as scifi because scifi viewers are often early adopters.[/QUOTE]
    Good luck with that, since Scifi decided to be a bitch, and put a thirty day hold on any online episode release, after the first three episodes of this season. So basically, if you miss an episode, you have to resort to less than legal methods to watch. Like Discovery, Scifi doesn't believe in re-airing recent content on their network.
    And yet the BBC has had great success with their iplayer doing just that. Infact I find it to be a far more convenient way to watch tv. I've never had a subscription where you can pause/record etc live tv, and tho I do have a DVR, I never use it, as I can use the iplayer with far less hassle
    That's because the BBC doesn't have the same mindset as the American networks and they don't rely on advertising for income.

Worf
    True. I dunno, I can't recall one occasion when I've ever bought something as a result of seeing a tv advert. I've seen adverbs for things I was already going to get, but I can't think of one that made me want something on it's own
    Doesn't matter if someone buys the product, the networks get paid for each person that watches the ad.

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The point of advertising is to make you aware of the product so that, if a time comes when you want something in that category, you're conditioned to think of their product first, and possibly choose it over the one you don't recognise in the shop.

[QUOTE=ShadowDancer;190850]And yet the BBC has had great success with their iplayer doing just that. Infact I find it to be a far more convenient way to watch tv. I've never had a subscription where you can pause/record etc live tv, and tho I do have a DVR, I never use it, as I can use the iplayer with far less hassle[/QUOTE]

The BBC has had so much success with iplayer that it's going international soon. People outside Britain will be able to watch stuff on it if they pay. The plan is ipad only first, followed by other devices later, and a (really cheap) subscription model first, with an advertising-supported one later on.
    The show is back, as are the [sp]blues. I wonder if they really did cure Chloe. And I was rather hoping we'd get to see them stick that big needle into her.

So, is Rush really changing, getting softer or just acting that way to get people to cooperate with his own plans.[/sp]

Worf
    I thought it was a good opener altho [sp]I didn't like the "friendly" aliens exit in a suicide run that accomplished nothing at all. I know they're 'alien', but as potentially the last of their species it felt wrong. Plus they looked cool.

I like the new direction they're going with Rush. If it was hard to discern his motives before, it's even harder now! And I'm sure we've not seen the last of the changes the Blues made to Chloe, or of the Blues themselves. I was disappointed we didn't get to see more of them tho. They seem to be the Big Bad Aliens, but we're not exactly getting to see much of them, other than the outside of their ships[/sp]
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    just quered on demand, watching now
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    I don't know, i think I see the look of cancellation in their eyes.
    They had no idea the show was at risk until Syfy announced the cancellation on twitter.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    My thoughts:

I Am Disappoint.

It just sort of sucked. The build-up was nice, as usual, but the payoff was generally weak. The solutions to every problem were typically deus ex machina. That is, nearly every single problem was resolved in some way that did not really involve the characters actually doing anything.

[sp]Beyond brody tackling the shield emitters, which itself was simply a distraction from the main plot, nothing of significance was actually done by the crew, save Chloe (who I still loathe so much more with each passing episode). They continuously stumbled upon magical solutions or find themselves in convenient situations. This follows what was a fantastic first-half build and served to only do two things:

1. Destroy the seed ship and the ambiguously friendly aliens onboard, returning the crew to a state of stranded peril. On the upside, they brought back Telford.
    2. "Cure" Chloe and offer an opportunity to make more magic alien changes occur to her.

Nothing else happened. Nobody grew. The situation did not change and several large steps forward were promptly erased by the extra-large mid-season reset button.

Even the directing was weak. They constantly fell back on the terrible habit of explaining everything rather than showing what happened. As an example, the motivation behind the aliens to make a suicide run was talked about, but would have been more interesting to observe directly. It would have put more weight in their choice and forged a stronger connection. Explosions are worth watching if they mean something. [/sp]

All of that said, I am looking forward to the upcoming episodes. Brad Wright, known for generally great character episodes, is writing the next one up.

Also, I didn't believe this episode was particularly bad. It just wasn't all that good, either. Lots of fluff with nothing going on coming right after one of the season's strongest.
    Yeah, this felt more like a filler episode, than plot resolution. The script was just bad, all around.
    Lots of potential but some odd choices as others have already pointed out.

Oh well the ship has taken such a pounding now there's more and more hull compromises all over the place. Maybe that was SyFy's plan... slowly blow bits off it so it falls apart by the last episode. How ironic.
    [QUOTE=Falcon1;191951]Lots of potential but some odd choices as others have already pointed out.

Oh well the ship has taken such a pounding now there's more and more hull compromises all over the place. Maybe that was SyFy's plan... slowly blow bits off it so it falls apart by the last episode. How ironic.[/QUOTE]
    Don't forget, they need to bring up and eventually reveal the final five asgard... ;) (Anyone that hasn't watched BSG, won't get this reference at all.)
    Isn't Mackey supposed to appear in an episode soon? That should be entertaining! :)
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I think its funny, we used the same thread to discuss this show from its early announcement and casting till the end. That's dedication. Btw, when does Ewan McGreggor make his appearance?

also, just saw the episode where they barely escape the drones. It was alright, like other said, a lot of buildup but not a lot of actual meat to it. I like show, I wish it had more time, but the Sci Fi channel just isn't a science fiction channel anymore. Its wrestling and filler.
    McKay will be showing up. Not sure which episode but hopefully soon.

Worf
    I've a feeling its in the latter few episodes, but McKay was one of my favourite characters from SGA, so I'm looking forward to it (nearly) regardless of the quality of the rest of the episodes.
    Well they dropped a hint when discussing McKay staring at Lt James' assets :p