Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

Comments

• Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Anyone watch it yet?

Caught the Ewan Mcgregor cameo?
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I don't think it airs for a few more hours.

Worf
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    just about to start here, but I wont start watching it for another 20 minutes. Ive become too spoiled, and I hate commercials too much. DVR ftw!
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Ok, so I watched it. It was interesting but, nothing really happened. They introduce you to all of the characters, they give you backstory, they make you hate the weaselly Dr Rush but nothing really happens.

Tune in next week I guess.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    As Stargate pilots go, it's the weaker of the three. Some potential here though.
  • who attacked icarus base? I thought it was ok nothing great yet.
  • Lucian Alliance of course? It was quite obvious after seeing the trailer... I hope they would continue that subplot to it's bitter end, otherwise the series is going to be way too similar to BSG/Caprica/Lost.

Btw, the 12-hour clock reminded me of Martin Lloyd in episode "200"...
    [quote]Trust me, jeopardy plus ticking clock is box office - it's the e=mc^2 of the entertainment world! Ask any executive![/quote]
    :rolleyes:
    The whole concept of this series reminded me of the teenage SG-1 idea they had in 200.

Worf
    Just watched it. It was okay. Gonna keep on watching I think.

I quite liked Rush. I dont think he was as bad as most make it out..

What I didnt like was that hispanic tough guy, and cant wait to see him die. And Eli.. Kinda pointless role/character.

But yea.. will see.
    Oh yea.. and why didnt they use the camera orb to press that button? Or build a goldberg machine that can do the same...

Meh. Just bad writing.

Looking forward to seeing how they will deal with a very limited ammo supply. I dont think they have more than a few clips each.. I mean, did anyone see ammo crates being shipped past the gate?

I was focusing on celebrity gossip and nipple slips at the time, so I might've missed something..

And I'm not an expert on guns, only used rk 7.62 in the army as it is, but from what I know, the clips do empty pretty fast if shooting at some alien monster in an unknown galaxy. Basic training was fun.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    + nice ship (Destiny)
    + nice sfx
    + peppered with humour

- some cheesy overacting
    - silly bickering over priorities
    - too many characters to keep track of (including Ewan McGregor who goes uncredited)

I'm a bit surprised they spent so much time on figuring out who to put in charge once they were on the ship. A senator does not outrank anyone on foreign soil or in this case, foreign space, especially in a survival situation (you need to follow the chain of command, if B5 taught us anything). All this did was make him look stupid when in fact he was heroic in the end. Christopher McDonald is a veteran actor, they could have done so much more with him.

BTW, you don't argue with anyone who carries a loaded assault rifle and is pointing it at you, it's just common sense. :D

I liked this pilot a lot more than FlashForward's. Ten minutes into SGU I felt comfortable with it. Putting in some funny dialogue early on is a good way to connect with an audience. I particularly liked O'Neill's response to Eli about asking his "lawyer" for advice before signing the NDA form. :D

Anyway, I still think this show got off a good start and should be able to survive a few seasons. It has all the right ingredients. It doesn't seem all that tough to make a good show when it's done right.
    I am hoping they could figure out a way to get people back to earth by the end of the first season.. And then allow them more freedom in the plotting.

I dunno.. I just dont see how it could survive more than 1 season trapped in a ship especially when they will start to need get more cast. Unless they go with the whole Lost routine.. "yes.. we were here aaaalll along, just beyond the camera so you couldnt see us".
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    eh... dropped in on it, looks boring, moved on to web surfing...

I'm spoiled by B5and BSG.

;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;184420]I liked this pilot a lot more than FlashForward's. Ten minutes into SGU I felt comfortable with it.[/QUOTE]

That could also be because the Stargate universe is already familiar and, if you've been watching the other Stargate series, you're already comfortable with it.

[QUOTE=Lord Refa;184424]I dunno.. I just dont see how it could survive more than 1 season trapped in a ship especially when they will start to need get more cast.[/QUOTE]

That's what aliens are for.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Biggles;184426]That could also be because the Stargate universe is already familiar and, if you've been watching the other Stargate series, you're already comfortable with it.[/QUOTE]

It could if it were the case, but it isn't. :D I grew up on MacGyver... so RDA is not a stranger to me. And since he has just a cameo in this pilot his presence (and that of the other 2 SG1 members) doesn't really count for much. The new cast seems to be up to the task.

I've only watched a dozen SG SG1 and even fewer SG Atlantis episodes. I liked the character chemistry and the sense of humour of the SG1 team but the story made absolutely no sense to me. I've seen the movie the show is based on and I like the show better from what I've seen.

I'm staring at the 10 season SG:SG1 boxset page on Amazon and I'm wondering what other nice and more useful things I could buy with that money. All I'll end up with is a box of dusty DVD's and memories.

I'm currently shopping for a solid outdoor knife and the good ones don't come cheap (if you discount the Mora knives). I think I'll get more satisfaction out of a Fällkniven than this box set.
    I'd actually like to see this as a one season show which is resolved by the end. I really really hope they don't start running into yet more human villages. We need aliens and exotic planets!

I also found myself more interested in seeing what O'Neill and Carter did, investigating the attack on the planet rather than what we did get.

I'll watch a few more episodes though, to see how it progresses before giving up or not.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I did quite like it actually. Ok it was by no means perfect, nor as slick and polished as the previous Stargate incarnations, but I'm gonna give it a chance. Besides, I remember when Atlantis was first announced and we were all debating it, I thought it was going to be rubbish ("look at the silly uniforms!" I remember thinking), but for me Atlantis was just as good as SG-1 in many ways. SG-1 will always be the benchmark because I grew up with it, but I'm open to new ideas
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;184427]It could if it were the case, but it isn't. :D I grew up on MacGyver... so RDA is not a stranger to me. And since he has just a cameo in this pilot his presence (and that of the other 2 SG1 members) doesn't really count for much. The new cast seems to be up to the task.[/QUOTE]

You're still more familiar with the universe than FlashForward's, though. You've seen a few episodes. So it [i]is[/i] the case. :p
    One cool thing is we have the ancient stones, which means we'll be seeing something of the SGC now and again.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Indeed, so we might get the odd crossover story later on

I really want to see more of the ship, its design looks really cool!
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I rather liked it. Saw it just a few hours ago and came out with nothing but praise. Sure, the plot was a little cliched in some senses, but everything slotted together much more nicely than I was expecting to. As far as acting goes, I didn't see too much overacting. These folks were thrust from a perilous near-death situation into certain death by the actions of one man. They're upset, they're cranky, and everyone clearly seems to think that what they're doing is the right thing.

Re: Button pushing, I have a feeling it's similar to how things on Atlantis operate. Consoles probably "come to life" in the presence of those with the gene. Given the Icarus operation, I suspect everyone has been gifted a copy. But a line suggesting this would have helped for certain. Regardless, the guy was on the brink of death as it was. I have a feeling this will come back around at some point.

Beautiful effects. Really interesting music. The eerie ambient score was fantastic for setting the mood, equally dark and curious.
    Wow that's high praise Sanfam! Given what you thought of Atlantis I didn't think you'd like it heh. I want to see more, even if only for more of those gorgeous effects. Plus I think the actress playing the senator's daughter is really hot :p
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    It's worth pointing out that I rather enjoyed early Atlantis a great deal, too. Though I feel this is overall a more effective pilot.
    It certainly feels different to any previous Stargate, which is good, because as much as I loved Atlantis, it was beginning to feel a little tired at times. That said, there were also some pretty stong episodes in the last season (like The Shrine). SGU will at least (hopefully) allow for some good new stories to be told.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Yup that was good, enjoyed it. Effects were ace and the ship looks stunning. Cast seems not bad. Seems like it might be a bit grittier than what we've seen before in SG.

Shame though they didn't use Lou Diamond Philips much.

David Blue reminds me of that guy from Superbad.

The senators daughter reminded me of Summer Glau. And seeing the senator I just couldn't shake Happy Gilmore... "I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!" :D
    Another thing - the characters were unlike anything I've seen in previous Stargates. Atlantis felt like, in some respects, a carbon copy of SG-1.
    Even tho I loved it, I do know what you mean. The totally new characters (so far anyway) can only be good. Stargate was beginning to need some new blood.
  • [quote]Shame though they didn't use Lou Diamond Philips much.[/quote]

Agreed, though I did see a shot of him in next week's promo so it looks like he may get some more screen time. I hope so.

Oh, and I missed the Ewan McGregor cameo...;)
    It was way more than a cameo! Ewan McGregor carried the whole pilot! :p
    Ewan McGregor? :o