Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

Comments

• Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I just hope that the tough black guy stereotype gets killed soon.. Just saw a clip for the next episode and cant stop hating the guy. Not sure whether it's the character or just the actor tho.. Never seen him anywhere before this tho, so cant be from any previous experience.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Maybe they could kill him off and replace him with Ewan McGregor?
    I could watch Ewan Mcgregor in black paint acting as stereotypical black tough guy anytime. :)
  • Black tough guy such as Armus (from ST:TNG)? ;)

[IMG]http://www.thepensivecitadel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/evil_armus.jpg[/IMG]
  • Tasha Noooooo!!!!!
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Its actually Ford in disguise. Revenge will be his!
    Ford Fairlane? I thought he was dead!
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I especially loved the 'Mass Effect' style music in Universe.
    The music is quite cool. Very atmospheric. While the sound for Atlantis was ok (the theme being excellent) it was pretty much run of the mill filler score. I hope for SGU we will get a richer, deeper score.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The music reminded me of Homeworld 2.

Worf
    It also reminds me of Christopher Frankes earlier styles in Season 1/2 of B5 :)
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I hardly ever pay attention to the score. I'm way to distracted by the visuals, the dialogue and the story to worry about the music playing in the background.

How do you do it? :D
    A second viewing :D
  • There are also elements taken from the grandiose works of Vangelis and Hans Zimmer, which I think is absolutely fantastic.
    The latest episode get's a [B]fantastic[/B] from me. Stronger than the pilot. And something of a 'Firefly' touch at the end there?
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    If I had to describe this 3rd episode with one word, it wouldn't be fantastic.

Sure it had some nice character development on the desert planet and that insubordinate, butt-kicking, trigger-happy soldier is actually not such a bad addition to the team. I like him better than the honourable son-of-a-preacher-goody-do-right who has a chip on his shoulder. But even he is doing alright.

Some over-acting of the ex-senator's-wife-turned-widow. Do people actually do that, grab for liquor just before getting the bad news? This is probably the worst interpretation of tragedy that I've ever seen. I think here, less would have been more. I guess banging her head against the wall would have been less dignifying for a woman in her position.

I like how they get O'Neill into the mix, always with some great one-liners. I could get used to that. :D

Overall a nice continuation of what has gone before. I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened to those two who jumped to that other gate destination? Probably not.

I'll keep watching.
    Well the first half of the episode was terrible, especially with that wife. But the rest was pretty damn good for only the first regular episode.
  • To me personally, I think they are applying the new BSG dark style to the show. It feels completly different than the other SG's. I think it's gonna be alot of dying and sex. Hell 3 people are already gone from the ship. There won't be enough people left on the ship at this rate unless they spawn like rabbits.
  • At one point, I said to my roommate "It's Defying Gravity with guns!"

Since Defying Gravity is Grey's Anatomy in space, does this mean SGU is Grey's Anatomy in space with guns?
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'm seconding/thirding the music. I completely adore it. The first thing I mentioned to my roommate when we watched it was how awesome it sounded. It added so much mood in just the right places.

Except for the unnecessarily epic PANOMATIC helicam music. aside from that, it's been great.
    Not a bad 3rd episode. So was that the 2nd shuttle? Yup looking forward to the next episode already!

I do get the feeling Brad Wight and co have sat down and taken a cue from BSG. Make it darker and add in some moody dramatic music and you've got a potential winning formula (well part of it). What I hope is that they release the score and not do what they did with Atlantis and just release the score from the pilot and nothing else.

I have one complaint though (might be just Sky doing this)... why have they gone for a stupid no opening credit sequence???? Having heard the music from the pilot I was really excited to hear the new theme. But now they've done what they did before with SG1 & Atlantis (which they reverted after the fan uproar). Bah I say.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Apparently, it was [URL="http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=893&pos=1348"]some alien ship[/URL] that had attached itself to the hull.
    Yeah looks like. Oh the intrigue!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    It doesnt have to be an alien ship. My theory from watching it was that it is a drone ship that goes and places stargates on suitable planets
    It was kinda round shaped so could carry a gate. Dunno if it looks "ancient" though. And it didn't look like it took off from a docking port.

Aren't the gate seeding ships supposed to be way ahead of Destiny though?
    I thought Destiny [I]was[/I] the seeding ship, and that the ancients were going to launch a following ship that was designed for that, but didnt because they ascended, or something like that. As for the design of the smaller ship, the Destiny isnt exactly 'classic' ancient design itself, so who knows at this point?
    I thought they said so in the series somewhere? Or in the interviews before making it.. that Destiny, or whatever the ship is called, was the one going after the gate-seed ship, testing them out. And if you've read any future episode synopses.. you'll know its not just "them" on the ship..

spooky.. Atleast that's what I gather. It's some another human-like-human-alien thingy.. that's going to take some info to their hidden masters.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Destiny is the ship following the seeding ships (per dialog in the first 2 parts of Air), though nothing says that the seeding ships don't come back to Destiny occasionally.

However, even if they do come back, that ship looks no where near beat up enough to be of the same era as Destiny.
    Oh well, maybe I read it wrong. I'm just content to sit back and see where it goes, I dont want to spoil it by reading too many spoilers this time
    On the plus side its got us debating. Which is start :)

Yeah I'm happy to speculate but avoid the spoilers.