Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

Comments

• MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    I'm not very satisified with what I have seen so far. But early to say after three episodes. Some parts had too dramatic acting, and some people just behaves generally stupid in the show. Comparing the show with Defying Gravity with a gun is a good description. Too many times I find myself asking: Why???
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Mundane;184792]Some parts had too dramatic acting...[/QUOTE]

Also known as overacting... which was quite blatant in some scenes. That's a director's job to catch that, the actor doesn't necessarily have the big picture in mind when the cameras are rolling.

SGU isn't in the same league as BSG, but it's still in good company.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    If you want to see some really bad overacting, you should have watched NCIS: Los Angeles last week. OMG is made me cringe watching it! It was truely aweful! Really bad acting, combined with an appalling script filled with every cliche known to writers....I was almost embarrassed to watch it even by myself :rolleyes:
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Episode 4, I feel like I'm watching a life-action version of System Shock 2 before everyone went over the edge... video logs of crew members which don't add anything to the story... a lot of wandering inside corridors. Never thought they'd make those set pieces pay for themselves so quickly. As a reward we got a look at a steamy alien shower system... from the outside.

...and then the ship lost most of its power which was an interesting twist. This communication system that allows people to remotely take control of other people is somewhat unsettling. I can't quite put my head around that. :D

Another thing is that I find this comm system a very odd plot device to use as a way of showing a couple going through marital problems. I guess a "simple" phone call wouldn't be cool enough even coming from a ship light years away. I suppose this holographic system is the story-telling equivalent of the transporters in Star Trek. I didn't think it could be done any cheaper than that and then they went ahead and did it. :D

Beautiful SFX, some shaky cam work, all nicely done with a cliff hanger at the end.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    anyone else think the ship just gathered a bunch of material in the planets atmosphere to repower itself?
  • Or that the ship is actually solar-powered.
  • Spirit one and Vertigo I think you guys nailed it. There is an AI on the ship has been helping them the whole time.
  • Well the way it did the planetary braking and directly towards the sun could indicate that. Ancient AI isn't very common in any of their tech. But to be set off on such a type of mission, basic programming alone wouldn't be able to hold up to what that ship could have possibly been though. But for that type of function, there should be some type of self repair system, which are not present as of yet. Also the air leaks the ship itself should have been able to seal all the leaks off by itself. My understanding of Ancient technology, I've never seen anything remotly close to a solar power souce. Everything had to deal with ZPM's or power sources that are near or more powerful than a sun. Maybe the AI is faulty or lost control of funtions which explain why the team can't get to the main systems. But being able to control how the ship works, wouldn't the AI have stopped the ship to concerve energy incase ancients did come onto the ship or prevent the stargate being used without codes? Some things don't match up really, but we'll see.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Dr Rush said the ship was older than the technology used in Atlantis, so it may not be powered by a ZPM.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah they'd definitely have to have used something less powerful that ZPM's at some point in their development. I think Vertigo_1 might be right, the ship might be able to recharge itself using the sun, altho I suspect that it wont be simple solar power. The sun would also be a good source of material to replenish the ship with (kinda like Arthur C Clarke's Rama, if anyone has read that)

Overall I thought that was actually a pretty good episode. The cam stuff was a little out of place at first, but it does let you get to know the characters a little more. Really liked seeing that special forces chick in her underwear! :D

I was actually really impressed with the whole aerobraking manoeuvre, the cgi was great
  • Ah we'll see. But what I'm wondering is what the hell flew off the ship in the last episode? The black like pod.
    Likewise, but I'm really liking the fact that they [I]havent[/I] told us, and likewise with episode 4 they [I]didnt[/I] feel the need to scream at the end "we're flying into the sun!!!". A little bit of understatement can go a long way
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Yeah, but Jack O'neal saying "Is that the sun?" "Yes" "Well, figure out how to move it." would have been great :D
    Heh true! But then any O'Neill quotage would have been good :D
  • [QUOTE=Vertigo_1;184814]Or that the ship is actually solar-powered.[/QUOTE]y hello thar
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [B]Good [/B]episode! I was worried this show would be a flop, but it's impressing me every time. And I loved the music. It's so atmospheric and fits perfectly.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Definately a redeeming episode or two...
    Spoiler:
    Aerobraking the Gas Giant, the feeling of awe with the (was about to say crew but..) refugees? in the observation lounge, well done segment. The segment for recharging in the surface of the Red (Dwarf or Giant? can't remember) star and the visual from (once again) the observation lounge, also well done.

The return of the shuttle was a bit rough for me, but hey it's still early for the show I guess. I'm happier with this show than when it first started. To my suprise Jill actually got into the show, now that was the big event for me, because usually she finds something else to do while I watch my "Space Shit"... :D

I like the fact that these people ARE really at the mercy of the ships Obvious AI. It has so far been written in a way where the AI gives them a gentle (or not so gentle sometimes) nudge in the direction of what to do, but ultimately like a parent has larger priorities to attend to (it's mission that invloves FTL flight to some as-yet unknown destination), and yet in return the ship actually needs them to do there part in reciprocation in order to help them as well.

Concerning the "broken windows, bad airlocks, what have you, these were non essential systems and problems for a ship AI when the ship has no life aboard. A simple closing of hatches would be enough. Once the ship is aware of occupants to take care of, the equation changes. This occurs when the lead scientist basically let the computer know of their existence.

I suspect that the AI has been lonely, or in a sense of purpose needed something to take care of (as a pet or child), or maybe even as a recognition of this new species being descendants (or in a time twist plot "ancestors") of the original race that built the ship. Anyone notice how well the systems in this ship cater to humanoid / sapien species? I mean the whole thing looks like it was built by what you would expect future human species to use and design, naturally the language has evolved, but even the symbols for language, keyboards, and displays still fit the way sapiens design and communicate.

I may be putting more into it than has really been designed into the look-and-feel of the show, but it looks as though the originators of Destiny looked a lot like us.

;)
    Thats because they were a lot like us Jack. According to stargate canon we're the second evolution of this form, the first being the ancients, so it stands to reason that the controls, ship, hallways etc would be designed with them (and therefore us) in mind :)
    You know what... I feel a vibe coming from this show... a vibe I am not quite able to put into words yet, but something I have not felt since Babylon 5 and early BSG. And that is a GOOD thing.
  • Well I was wrong about what it did. But I don't think any of us expected the thing to litterly fly though the sun... But the one element in Stargate history is missing... the enemy. I'm just wondering though now why the AI is more keeping the people as "guests" than actual operators. They could help fix the ship, could have had time to get plenty of that sand for the CO2 scrubbers. It's like the ship has a more important mission than flying around.
    We not worried about spoilers in this thread I take it?

:)
    Absolutely we are worried about spoilers. If you don't post spoilers, you will be banned!

P.S. - Ewoks board Destiny next episode and fight off the Gungan invasion.
    Maybe a new thread is in order.
    Stargate Universe (spoilers)

Unless Biggles or Sanfam objects, a new spoiler-zoned thread for discussing SGU so we dont need tags.

Carry on :)

Anyway, I was very impressed with Light, I thought the CGI was once again spectacular, with the ship dipping into the star to replenish itself. Glad to see I was kinda right about that heh :) very much taken from Rondevous with Rama, but I'm not complaining
  • Well I guess I'll stop posting then, seems like I always do something wrong or piss someone off. Goodbye.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It seems rather pointless to create another thread when there are heaps of spoilers in this one already. :)
    I perhaps should have clarified the use of the SPOILER tag ?
    Mayhaps someone edits the title of the thread to say Spoiler to end this discussion on intergalactic ewok raids!
  • where do they go to the bathroom?
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I believe that is what the airlock is for.

Worf