Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Data Crystal's not the only one

sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
I too am finally on my way to actual school!

After I graduated high school in '99, I had no idea what I wanted to do with myself so I went to community college (a.k.a. high school, part 2) to take a bunch of basic and intro classes and see what grabbed me. I did this while working full time so I took mostly night classes. 8 years later I finally have an Associates degree in Liberal Arts (which is pretty much useless in this day and age).

So, motivated (ha, I say motivated) by my incredible uselessness and the uselessness of my degree and hatred for my retail job, I determined myself to go to actual school even if it cost me way too much and even if it was in a field I didn't necessarily love or even care about so long as it was something that would get me a lot of money and opportunity.

I chose Accounting.

[URL="http://www.rit.edu/"]Here's where I'm going[/URL].

Friday I got my Fall schedule finalized and determined that I have gathered about $24,000 so far in scholarships, financial aid, and loans (this place costs about $28,000 a year) and will soon be on my way to non-uselessness....hopefully....

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Congratulations!

Working in retail always helps to convince me I'm doing the right thing by going to Uni and racking up enormous debt
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Ah, a kindred spirit. Congratulations! :)

Retail and customer service would be fine jobs, if you could somehow avoid being in contact with other people altogether. :D
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    Indeed. After seven years of it, I can confidently say that retail is the devil.

Good for you, Sataicallista. Companies ALWAYS need accountants. My brother got hired right away after he graduated with his degree in accounting. Now if only I could get a job when I (finally) finish. ;)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'll have been at Uni for 7yrs as well by the time I'm done (2yrs left now), and I have to say I'm really looking forward to earning a proper wage, not just the minimum wage!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I couldn't stand working in retail. I got out as soon as I could.
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    Yeah, retail has convinced me that humanity is unredeemably evil and must be destroyed.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Congratulations! Im so relieved I live in a system where we get money from the state to study. Unfortunately mine runs out in a year, and Ill have to start working if I want to be able to take my masters.

Anyway, good luck with the studies! :)
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    As a continuing retail slave at Best Buy I can confirm that retail is infact the scourge of humanity. I have met such customers as the disgruntled "My mac doesn't work its brand new but its 6 years old", The insane Russian conspiracy lady "The soviets they took everything! They hacked into my computah!", The guy who broke his coffee cup holder "I put the coffee cup on it and it broke." Yes sir thats because thats not infact a coffee cup holder but a cd-rom drive. The guy who told me his life story "Yeah the kids naked at home, my wife is probably naked too. I can't have geek squad der! And ya know when i was younger...etc." Yes ladies and gentleman retail is hell. You will not find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany and be sure that your wages will not make up for any of the stress you suffer.
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Ah, that's quite normal. In my days I've had the "my computer... smells funny" -type, the "Do you have these skeet thrower ignition mechanism switches?" -type and the "I've used a ball mouse for 15 years and see no reason to change to an optical. Oh, and CRT's are way better than TFT's" -type.

Oh, and the "I have to recharge this secondhand T40 laptop at least once a day, I think there's something wrong with it" -type. And the "Do you fix radiators?" -type makes you seriously consider a change of profession.

Can't laugh at them, can't shoot them. :I
    Heh, I've worked at many different retail outlets including: Hastings, Shaw's, Gordman's, Cubs, Pier 1 Imports, and Home Depot. For those who don't recognize: Hastings sells books, music and movies and also rents movies. Shaw's and Cubs are both big grocery store chains, Gordman's is a Macy's-like department store, Pier 1 is furniture and home decor, and Home Depot is home improvement/hardware/working warehouse. So yeah, I've had QUITE a variety of products, clientele, store size, coworker types, etc.

I'm still at Home Depot right now on the Contractor services end of the store so 90% of my customers are rough, dirty, smelly, uneducated middle-aged men who don't get that it's not kosher to tell me my hairy Italian arms turn them on. :P
    [QUOTE=sataicallista;174385]Heh, I've worked at many different retail outlets including: Hastings, Shaw's, Gordman's, Cubs, Pier 1 Imports, and Home Depot. For those who don't recognize: Hastings sells books, music and movies and also rents movies. Shaw's and Cubs are both big grocery store chains, Gordman's is a Macy's-like department store, Pier 1 is furniture and home decor, and Home Depot is home improvement/hardware/working warehouse. So yeah, I've had QUITE a variety of products, clientele, store size, coworker types, etc.

I'm still at Home Depot right now on the Contractor services end of the store so 90% of my customers are rough, dirty, smelly, uneducated middle-aged men who don't get that it's not kosher to tell me my hairy Italian arms turn them on. :P[/QUOTE]
    oh you get that too huh? I knew I wasn't the only one with hairy Italian arms...Whats the deal with that anyway?
    Dunno, Italians just tend to have thicker, more robust hair on more areas of their body than many other Europeans. You should see my legs when I let them go. :P
    I have a terribly hairy back as well, my friend's sister offered to shave my back for $50 almost took her up on the offer. hehe
    There's this one guy at the gym I do to that has THE hairiest back I have EVER seen. I swear if you threw him in the pool it would act as a natural floatation device!
  • Congratulations.
    An accounting degree sure will give you employability, just don't go work for any Enron!
    And I guess keeping track of those student loans will give you some real life accounting experience!
    Yeah no kidding. The loans won't be terrible though, I only have to go for two years to get my Bachelors and one more for my Masters. Almost half my tuition this year is being covered by scholarships and if I get good grades this year, next year I'll be eligible for even more scholarship money so I'm not hugely worried.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    heh that's totally what I need some accounting services (after I get a job), I just finished my Masters and I have about $100,000 in student loans- whee...

[IMG]http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v238/223/100/132700201/n132700201_31340887_551.jpg[/IMG]
    What was your Masters in again? I know you told me but I forgot already. :rolleyes:
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Masters of Science in Publishing :)
    Are you working on a book Dax?
    I dont think she can write a new passport for you Johnny! :p
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;174524]I dont think she can write a new passport for you Johnny! :p[/QUOTE]
    Spoiler: BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS!
    No
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Nah, I am not a writer, I have more interests in production and communication management. I have been known to edit from time to time...