Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Caligari trueSpace 7.6 FREE!

StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
If you ever wanted to check out Caligari's trueSpace 3D software, now is the time. The company is distributing the 3D tool free of charge.

[URL="http://www.caligari.com/"]http://www.caligari.com/[/URL]

I'm still trying to figure out what happened but it seems like Microsoft and Caligari worked out a deal (not sure what kind of deal, but I'm confident no souls were sold in the process) to counter Google Earth and SketchUp with Virtual Earth and trueSpace as the 3D content creation and editing tool.

I've downloaded the package and I'm playing around it right now. There are also free video courses on the site, which help you get started.

The free deal does have a catch, trueSpace 7.6 uses an external renderer called VRay which is not included in the package. This means while you can display your work rendered inside trueSpace, you can't render your work to a file from Workspace. If you want to render to file you need to do so in the Model view and use the LightWorks render engine which dates back to the previous versions of trueSpace.

I'm still assessing the situation and evaluating trueSpace, but I might decide to buy VRay.

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Ah, trueSpace 3D. The first 3D CGI program I used, about 10 years ago. That sure brings back memories. The UI looks like it's gone downhill since then, unfortunately.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Biggles;174636]The UI looks like it's gone downhill since then, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

The UI hasn't changed all that much for those who don't want to. They pimped up the look but the basics are still there.

But you do get what you pay for.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I've always considered trueSpace to be the idea program for the beginner. It's cheap, but more than that, it's very quick to learn and easy to use, while still being powerful enough for someone who's starting out.
    I've been reading up on their forum and it looks like Caligari was outright bought by Microsoft. It does seem part of the strategy the wizards from Redmont want to use against Google, if you can't beat them, buy the competition.

I suppose this move is an excellent opportunity for Caligari as it broadens the user base tremendously. Who knows in some near future, you'll be able to play Solitaire and create 3D content in the next version of Windows. :D

Well, I've started out with trueSpace and I haven't gotten any further because I just didn't want to invest so much in something that's just a hobby.
    So I broke down and got myself a copy of VRAY for trueSpace... :cool: