Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Jeremiah - again

SpiritOneSpiritOne MagnetoABQ NM
So I did a quick search on the forums for some Jeremiah info, and I find that it was all the way back in [url=http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?p=113602#post113602]2004[/url] when I first watched the pilot episode. I am finally getting around to watching the series.

I had no idea it had been that long. I guess I am glad I went back and watched the pilot again.

Anyways, I am up to about episode 8 and this is pretty fantastic. What I would like to know is, does the story get a conclusion or does it just end? Cause I would hate for it to just end right about now.

Also, I have noticed the following people on the show. Tricia Helfer in the pilot, looking almost illegally young and yet so hot. The actress that plays Callie on Galactica, the actress who play Dee and the actor playing Felix Gaeta. I am assuming its because it was shot up in Canada and they were just looking for work. But its funny as hell to see them.

Thats about it, just enjoying the series, and mostly going, hey look at that bsg actor.

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The story does get a conclusion (despite JMS quitting at the end of s2), and it's one that I think works really well.
  • Mr_BesterMr_Bester Earthforce Officer St Louis MO
    [QUOTE=Biggles;174852]...(despite JMS quitting at the end of s2), and it's one that I think works really well.[/QUOTE]

There were only 2 seasons and JMS finished it the same way he almost finished B5. He found out he wasn't going to be back and tied everything up.(Bigggles, just questioning the "despite" since it was all JMS)

Dug
    I said "despite" because JMS had a 5-year plan, just like B5. Near the end of S2, he decided he was sick of the studio interference (evident particularly near the end of S1 and in several aspects of S2) and quit, tidying up as much of the story as he could within the season.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Still watching, almost done with the series. Tyrol showed up, and Gaeta is the main bad guy. Whats up with that?
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    So it's actually a good show?
    Well I finished it. And judging by the start date of this post, I think I watched the entire series in 5 days.

I thought it was a very good show. To a certain extent you can see the evolution of JMS's writing style. [sp]I thought the Daniel thing came on quick, but I guess he wanted to finish to story. I just thought it was a tad inconsistent between the transitioning of bad guys from Valhalla Sector to the Daniel group, it happened so quick and were to believe a resident of Valhalla was involved with them that in depth.[/sp] I don't know, but I give it a little bit of a break because I know JMS doesn't like suits interfering with his writing and thats what was happening.

Sean Astin is pretty cool, and makes a great addition. He raises more questions than answers though, and its hard to make sense of sometimes.

[sp]As for the ending, its relatively open. You don't directly see the outcome which I don't like, but I suppose it was done to allow for more stories later.[/sp] There are apparently comic books? I shall try to find them I guess.

On the whole though, I really feel a little bit let down. I guess I expected a bit more if the show was ending. Good but, a bit let down.
    [QUOTE=DarthCaligula;174921]So it's actually a good show?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE=SpiritOne;174924][sp]I don't know, but I give it a little bit of a break because I know JMS doesn't like suits interfering with his writing and thats what was happening.[/sp][/quote]

[sp]I found it highly amusing that he did to the demanded girlfriend character something similar to what he did to the demanded fighter jock character in B5: killed her off while using her to advance the plot. :D One change I really didn't like was the change in the opening theme of S2 from the hauntingly beautiful piece from S1 to the poppy, "everybody feel hopeful!" piece.[/sp]

[quote]There are apparently comic books? I shall try to find them I guess.[/quote]

You're in for a shock if you do. Jeremiah is "inspired by" a series of Belgian comics, in which, among other differences, Kurdy is a racist white man.

[quote]On the whole though, I really feel a little bit let down. I guess I expected a bit more if the show was ending. Good but, a bit let down.[/QUOTE]

I mainly feel let down that it didn't go the full 5 years jms had planned. Other than that, I'm happy with what we got.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I started watching... gonna see the 4th episode later today... not quite sure if I like it yet.
  • [QUOTE=Biggles;174935][sp]I found it highly amusing that he did to the demanded girlfriend character something similar to what he did to the demanded fighter jock character in B5: killed her off while using her to advance the plot. [/sp]

[sp]I've never heard that Jeremiah's girlfriend was forced on JMS by the studios. If Perry forced the issue, though, I wouldn't be terribly surprised.[/sp]

[quote]I mainly feel let down that it didn't go the full 5 years jms had planned. Other than that, I'm happy with what we got.[/QUOTE]
    I thought the end was really well done. Enough suspense to serve as a possible cliffhanger but enough closure to work as the end of the series. Most threads closed off but enough left open for a new Exec. Producer to pick up if MGM/Showtime had decided to continue it.

Jan
    [QUOTE=JanMSchroeder;174947][sp]I've never heard that Jeremiah's girlfriend was forced on JMS by the studios. If Perry forced the issue, though, I wouldn't be terribly surprised.[/sp][/QUOTE]

[sp]That's what I was led to believe. It's all speculation though, I've never seen it confirmed by a reliable source.[/sp]
    [QUOTE=JanMSchroeder;174947]
    [sp]I've never heard that Jeremiah's girlfriend was forced on JMS by the studios. If Perry forced the issue, though, I wouldn't be terribly surprised.[/sp]

*****/QUOTE]
    [sp]
    Well at least if it was forced, she was a hell of a lot better to look at than the pilot was. And she didnt wear frilly things around her neck like Fred from Scooby Doo.

In fact, she looked a a lot like Liv Tyler to me. Very sexy woman.[/sp]
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;174963][sp]That's what I was led to believe. It's all speculation though, I've never seen it confirmed by a reliable source.[/sp][/QUOTE]

Testing.
    Still not sure what to make of this show. It's ok, I guess, but somehow it seems in some areas somewhat too immature for my taste. The acting is fine, the sets are fine, it's the stories that are a bit hokey.

I'm not sure who came up with the idea that people would start using pickle jars as drinking glasses. Why there would be a sudden shortage of glass in the first place due to a disease killing 6 billion people, 15 years ago, is beyond me? Seems to me that there would be a lot less people using drinking glasses, so the opposite should actually be most definitely true.

The same with gas, remember "I am Legend," there was no shortage of gas, even if the dying didn't happen over night, but would be a drawn-out affair, the consumption and production would drop drastically but the goods wouldn't all of a sudden disappear or run out, while certainly harder to get. I'm just wondering what happened during those 15 years since the big D? Even teenagers grow up fast when the going gets tough. Did they just sit on their a$$es during those years? I doubt at that age you mourn all day long when your tummy is crying out for food.

Most events take place in and around army bases, I would imagine that they all have fuel dumps and I didn't see anyone drive around in a Hummer or other personnel carriers yet. But they did manage to dig up some pickup from Mad Max, it all seems very contrived to me. ;)

The problem with scifi is that things need to make sense in order to be believable, not the other way around. I'll give JMS the benefit of the doubt, because I haven't seen all the episodes yet, and I suppose things may probably start to make sense as more details emerge.

I guess post apocalyptic tales aren't what they used to be.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    On that gas issue, unless really well sealed, gasoline generally has a max shelf life of a year or so, and even then it starts to get pretty rank.

Jake
    Excellent point, Freejack. I can't of course take into account my own ignorance. :D

I found an interesting experiment on [URL="http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gaslifepal.htm"]gasoline shelf life[/URL].

In other words, gasoline will require filtering over time (or you need to add some stabilizing chemical) or you will find residue at the bottom of the container. In a way that's not really surprising as gasoline is a mixture of different molecules and chemicals.

This also explains why homes who have central heating with a petrol burner are required to keep the burner off several hours after the tank has been refilled to let the sediments drop back down on the tank floor to keep the injector nozzle unclogged.

Ok, so they'd need to run on aged gas.... not much they could do about that I guess. So, take note, you need to stock up on coffee filters as well. :D

Speaking of deteriorating, antibiotics and other drugs would come to be scarce because pharmaceutical production would come to a halt and after 15 years all medicine cabinets would contain perished drugs.

Another point of contention is that in a world where government, law and order are nonexistent, you can't walk around unarmed and hope for the best. It's everyone for him or herself. It's back to the Wild West era. If you walk around at night in bad neighborhoods today you run the risk of getting mugged, so in a post apocalyptic world this would be a certainty.
    [quote]I'm not sure who came up with the idea that people would start using pickle jars as drinking glasses. Why there would be a sudden shortage of glass in the first place due to a disease killing 6 billion people, 15 years ago, is beyond me? Seems to me that there would be a lot less people using drinking glasses, so the opposite should actually be most definitely true.[/quote]

Glass breaks you know. In comparison a pickle jar is a little heftier and doesn't break when you drop it.

[quote]The same with gas, remember "I am Legend," there was no shortage of gas, even if the dying didn't happen over night, but would be a drawn-out affair, the consumption and production would drop drastically but the goods wouldn't all of a sudden disappear or run out[/quote]

In I am Legend Will Smith was the only one on the island of Manhattan. 1 person using gas is different than a whole bunch of people using gas. Production wouldn't drop drastically, it would flat out stop. Its 15 years later, not 2 or 3. And why exactly are we looking to Will Smith movies for reality?

[quote]Even teenagers grow up fast when the going gets tough. Did they just sit on their a$$es during those years? I doubt at that age you mourn all day long when your tummy is crying out for food.[/quote]

But thats just it they weren't teenagers yet. They were kids, pre-puberty. I can't imagine my 10 year old trying to make it his own.

I can't imagine that it would be easy for them. I can however see them using gas in cars eventually, burning it, etc...
    [QUOTE=SpiritOne;175109]Glass breaks you know. In comparison a pickle jar is a little heftier and doesn't break when you drop it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, so you think the kids broke all the regular glasses. :D Maybe it's just the way the prop was used that makes it seem so ridiculous. It might make sense to carry only containers that can be sealed, but this seemed like in an improvised bar setting and I didn't buy it for a second. I doubt they used up all the plastic cups and mugs ever made.

[QUOTE]In I am Legend Will Smith was the only one on the island of Manhattan. 1 person using gas is different than a whole bunch of people using gas. Production wouldn't drop drastically, it would flat out stop. Its 15 years later, not 2 or 3. And why exactly are we looking to Will Smith movies for reality?[/QUOTE]

Well, if they were kids, they wouldn't know how to drive. I grant you that Will Smith's movies aren't really a good point of reference as far as realism is concerned. But there is the entire distribution system between you and the producer. There would be tons of goods stored in warehouses, train cars and truck trailers. Diseases don't spread like that, so not all people would be affected simultaneously which would allow certain areas to function as before even though in a state of emergency.

[QUOTE]But thats just it they weren't teenagers yet. They were kids, pre-puberty. I can't imagine my 10 year old trying to make it on his own.[/QUOTE]

Obviously some of them must have been able to otherwise who are we looking at in the show? I suppose as city-dwellers we would not be well prepared for such a situation, but kids born on a farm would know what to do... they would even know how to drive.

[QUOTE]I can't imagine that it would be easy for them. I can however see them using gas in cars eventually, burning it, etc...[/QUOTE]

Kids aren't as helpless as they appear. But it is true that in such a situation, computer skills wouldn't really get you far. :D What could happen is a temporary and critical loss of knowledge, but then it's not like all books ever written would disappear either.

As I understand it, Jeremiah happened because Crusade got canned, so if we look at it from that perspective, it may explain a few things.
    Well I also liked something that happened in the pilot episode. Theo said after the big death the first places kids destroyed (think she used burned) was the schools. Shows how stupid they were. She points out that they had shelters, were safe, had books etc...

Not knowing how to drive wouldn't stop too many from trying. The learning curve would have steeper, but its not like they were worried about traffic laws.
    [QUOTE=SpiritOne;175111]Well I also liked something that happened in the pilot episode. Theo said after the big death the first places kids destroyed (think she used burned) was the schools. Shows how stupid they were. She points out that they had shelters, were safe, had books etc...

Not knowing how to drive wouldn't stop too many from trying. The learning curve would have steeper, but its not like they were worried about traffic laws.[/QUOTE]

I agree, schools without teachers are just buildings with classrooms, so burning them would be really stupid as it would be rather pointless.

Overall the show is watchable but it just doesn't reach the heights of B5. I watched a few more episodes and it's not really getting any better. I keep comparing it to Jericho and it's not even in its shadow. I guess watching a show about post apocalyptic children who grew up to be adults isn't all that compelling and I can see why the show got canned in the end. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Better shows got canceled much earlier in their production run (i.e. Firefly, Jericho).

If there's one thing that's sticking out to me as to what's wrong with the show, I'd have to say it's the main cast. I don't really feel attached to them at all. Jeremiah and Kurdy are played well enough by the actors, but the characters aren't all that interesting. It's probably due to the nature of the subject matter. "So what have you been doing for the last 15 years? - Oh, I've been a kid and stuff." :D In Jericho, Jake Green's been in a war, Robert Hawkins has been dealing in shady ops. It's just happening in a different league.

Writing letters to their dads on small notepad sheets and throwing them into a camp fire every now and then? Wow, I'm impressed, must be some writer's thing, because the symbolism of that act is so cheesy, it boggles the mind. Oddly enough, when people thank their parents, they usually mention their moms. :D I guess, JMS tried to be different.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    thats what I liked with Jeremiah! It was different! Not the normal boring background story, trying to make stuff more interesting. Jeremiah felt more "real" than Jericho...emotionally.
    I can see that it's a difficult line to walk, trying to be realistic and yet entertaining. You can't just show realistic suffering and misery without crossing a point where it's not "entertaining" anymore (I use this word loosely for lack of a better term). It's one thing to have a few nukes go off, another to have the entire adult world population be decimated by some disease.

In all fairness, I suppose credit goes to JMS for tackling the Jeremiah project before Jericho. The Jericho creators had something to compare to and improve upon. I'm sure JMS wasn't completely satisfied either, he wasn't with B5, I doubt he was with Jeremiah.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Great creators are rarely satisfied with their own work, that's what makes them great. :D
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    In my own experience with writing, I'm usually not satisfied with what I make. There's some stuff that's just God-awful I've written, while there are a few that I think were pretty good (usually my comics).
    All I know about writing is that you need to keep writing as there is no other way to get better at it. :D

I keep watching [I]Jeremiah[/I] and it's still not really getting any better. Somehow I feel like it was actually made with a younger viewing audience in mind. The scope is also a problem here, or the apparent lack of focus. The show tries to do too many different things all at once. The main story doesn't move along and yet there's time to look for a missing elephant?! Filler episodes weren't too much of a problem with [I]Babylon 5[/I] as we were eager to learn more about the place and the people living there, but I find it bordering on irresponsible to allow filler content in a first season of a show like [I]Jeremiah[/I].
    Great, it gets better, now they are on a mission to fetch a few books. :rolleyes:

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, biting my fingernails with anticipation. ;)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I just finished watching through the series after buying the first season on my recent trip to the US.

Excellent show, although I could see where the studio was interfering. Didn't realise that Libby was part of that.

Worf
    Finished watching the first season. The show had its moments, but it never really took off IMHO.

The cliffhanger was relatively well executed, too bad they kept this kind of stuff until the end.