Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Warner Brothers, you suck

A few years ago we were promised a feature length real Babylon 5 movie. After stalls in the production and issues, WB ended up pulling the plug on the project. At the time we didn't realize that by doing so, you effectively ended there ever being an opportunity to see Andreas Katsulas as Gkar again.

We were upset. More so I was upset that at the same time you were canceling a B5 movie, you made a movie called "Sisterhood of the traveling pants". A movie targeted at teenage girls coping with growing up. Now I find out that the movie has a freaking sequel. Thats right, Sisterhood of the traveling pants 2. Apparently these nasty pants didn't get around enough the first time. Chick flicks that get sequels vs a product that has already made you guys more money than you thought possible.

When you finally released the dvd's of the seasons, they flew off the shelves faster than you had produced. When you let JMS make those direct to dvd movies, again they flew off the shelves, budget problem not withstanding, we bought them. Were not going to get a B5 movie ever are we? Screw you guys :(

Comments

• FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Yeah, but now the girls are hot!

Jake
  • Unfortunatly, there are quite a few books in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, so I guess we're going to get more of these things coming out.
  • [QUOTE=Freejack;175503]Yeah, but now the girls are hot!

Jake[/QUOTE]

Alexis Bledel?

Pure win right there.

Its funny, she's like in her late 20s yet she's playing someone ten years younger...even her costars are considerably younger.
  • You also have to look at cost. The traveling pants movies combined probably cost less or about the same as Something like Serenity, and it had a fairly shoe-string budget for a Sci-Fi action picture. Much less risk involved.

I'm not saying I don't think a B5 movie would be great, I mean, look where I'm posting. I'm just saying teenie chick flicks are a lot safer to make from the studio's point of view.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    According to IMDB and boxofficemojo , die estimated Budget for the first movie was about 25M $ and had a total worldwide gross of just 42M$.
  • [QUOTE=RubberEagle;175527]According to IMDB and boxofficemojo , die estimated Budget for the first movie was about 25M $ and had a total worldwide gross of just 42M$.[/QUOTE]Sounds like a terrible investment for WB. You're right, OP, WB should be ashamed of themselves.

Especially since there are so many more Babylon 5 fans than there are teenage girls out there. Sisterhood 2 is a flop waiting to happen.
  • I'm not actually sure I'm even disappointed with that.

Sure, angsty-pantsies doesn't exactly sound like my kind of a movie, but the B5 movies that have come out after Crusade have been something a tad awkward to watch, at least for me. It might be simply for the reason that B5 was great back in the day, but there's been a few series afterwards that have way surpassed it, mainly, of course, the new Galactica. We already got the whole story arc of B5 and a bundle of movies to boot, isn't that enough? Everything has its day and after that, it's time for something else. Besides, G'Kar was a big part of the whole feel of the series. Just isn't the same without Katsulas.

Personally, I'd much rather like to see more Crusade of Firefly. Hell, even Atlantis. :)
  • [QUOTE=Data Crystal;175529]I'm not actually sure I'm even disappointed with that.

Sure, angsty-pantsies doesn't exactly sound like my kind of a movie, but the B5 movies that have come out after Crusade have been something a tad awkward to watch, at least for me. It might be simply for the reason that B5 was great back in the day, but there's been a few series afterwards that have way surpassed it, mainly, of course, the new Galactica. We already got the whole story arc of B5 and a bundle of movies to boot, isn't that enough? Everything has its day and after that, it's time for something else. Besides, G'Kar was a big part of the whole feel of the series. Just isn't the same without Katsulas.

Personally, I'd much rather like to see more Crusade of Firefly. Hell, even Atlantis. :)[/QUOTE]I was going to include something like this in my post, but it would have been much more harsh.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?p=174349#post174349[/url]
  • One might be inclined make the same case for Star Trek. I wonder how much more they can really accomplish within the franchise.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Just be patient. Within 5 years or so B5 should be ready for a reimagining :P
  • [QUOTE=Vorlons in my Head;175537]Just be patient. Within 5 years or so B5 should be ready for a reimagining :P[/QUOTE]

And it'll probably suck balls.
  • The answer is simple, let me introduce [URL="http://fireborn.angelcities.com/pants/b5/pants.html"]The Babylon 5 Pants Page[/URL]!

There it is! Everything needed for a new Babylon 5 movie!
  • [QUOTE=SpiritOne;175502]A few years ago we were promised a feature length real Babylon 5 movie. After stalls in the production and issues, WB ended up pulling the plug on the project. At the time we didn't realize that by doing so, you effectively ended there ever being an opportunity to see Andreas Katsulas as Gkar again.

We were upset. More so I was upset that at the same time you were canceling a B5 movie, you made a movie called "Sisterhood of the traveling pants". [/QUOTE]

The only problem is...your whole premise is incorect. WB didn't really have anything to do with the failure of TMoS to get made. The person/company who optioned the rights to do a movie (from JMS who holds those rights) and who commissioned the script from him simply never managed to make the financial deals necessary to make the film and get it distributed.

Where WB was sort of involved was that the optioner needed their backing to put that financial deal together and it was WB's policy to only make films with big names which would have required the re-casting of parts played by the television cast. This wasn't an acceptable option to JMS and so, being unable to put the package together without WB, the option expired and the rights to a feature film reverted to JMS, effectively killing the TMoS script which belongs to the one who commissioned it.

So WB never pulled the plug because it was never theirs to pull.

Jan
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    hmmm, so WB didnt learn from Lotr then..
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Learn what from lotr?
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=Vertigo_1;175528]Sounds like a terrible investment for WB. You're right, OP, WB should be ashamed of themselves.

Especially since there are so many more Babylon 5 fans than there are teenage girls out there. Sisterhood 2 is a flop waiting to happen.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone is neglecting post-release DVD and merch sales. I'm betting it brought in quite a bit more of the high-margin product sales.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE=C_Mon;175547]Learn what from lotr?[/QUOTE]

Big names arent always the best..