Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

So, a decade without Babylon 5

(minus the few movies and Crusade)

10 years ago tonight, our family was huddled around the TV on Channel 17 (TNT) between 10 to 11 pm Pacific time. I had just returned from an evening out with friends, celebrating my birthday (which was the next day) having played a few rounds of Bowling and hoping to score the Tweety Bird at the Pizza Hut. I had begged my parents to stay up that late, being past the magical 9 o'clock mark. And my wishes were granted.

After Sleeping in Light finished, due to my short lifespan up to that point, I could not imagine a world where there was no more Babylon 5. I was in 6th grade, my last night as an 11 year old. B5 had been on since I was 7, and while I had many memories from before its existence, it still dominated my life through the bulk of my grade school years. And then it was over. 5 years was a very long time, but I could not grasp my thought around not having a new episode every week to look forward to, as I had for so long.

And then it was no more.

And now it is 10 whole years later, DOUBLE the amount of time that B5 actually aired. I turn 22 tomorrow.....yet I can still vividly remember that night and my feelings. These ten years passed by quickly, and as I look back, I can't believe it has been so long since the moment I couldn't imagine there being no B5 to look forward to every week.

What is the point of this post? None whatsoever. I just need a venue to spout my feelings about this.

Comments

• HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Aha but I'm sure having rewatched the series in later life, you grasped an understanding of concepts that you didn't at age 7-11 (of which I imagine are many) :)
  • I realized that today was the ten year anniversary too. Really weird to think of it that way.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    10 years sense bawling my eyes out.

Looking back the series had a a much more profound impact on my life than I am willing to give credit for to the common person. Babylon 5, Band/Corps, and Family.

Damn things always come in threes.
  • [QUOTE=HuntSmacker;177493]Aha but I'm sure having rewatched the series in later life, you grasped an understanding of concepts that you didn't at age 7-11 (of which I imagine are many) :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, for sure. I mean I watched it as a youngin but didn't get most of it until Season 4 when I started knowing what was going on, but I didn't know the backstory to things because I was younger. It wasn't until I watched the TNT reruns during Season 5 that I began to understand a lot more.

And yes, DVD viewings have made me completely understand the series and catch things I never caught before (such as the Vice President Psi Corps scandal headline in Season 1).
    I think even 2 or 3 viewings can reveal new things you didn't notice before. Today was a good day for me, I was overcome with a good vibe of change. That it coincides with the 10 year anniversary of B5 is quite nice. :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    There are still times even now that I pick up something new upon rewatching it. Usually these are american cultural references which aren't known over here, but still the fact that I do get something new out of watching it just proves how well written it was in the first place.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I don't know about you, but it hasn't been 10 years without B5 for me. It's been 10 years of regular rewatchings, because it's something I can never get bored of.
    Yep, it draws you in if you happen to catch it on Youtube or TV. Bit like TNG or various other shows that cause me to waste many hours :P
  • I've been slowly making my way through the first season again when I have time since I'm looking for all the signs of the original arc. Unfortunetly, I don't really have the time usually, or if I do have the time, I'm more in the mood to play a game than to watch something. Now that I've got the entire series (except Legend of the Rangers), I'm going to have to rewatch it all some time in the proper order (well, what I consider the proper order that is).
  • I still say that Babylon 5 is the best sci-fi show on t.v. since the original Star Trek series. :)