Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Converting Vegetarians

So my wife and I have some friends who are vegetarians, but recently they have discovered that they aren't as healthy as they think they are. And they have been forced to increase their protein intake. As their official ambassador of meat, I prepared and made their first steak in years. I made my teriyaki marinated rib eyes. They both shared about an 11 oz grilled steak.

End result, they ate every bit. I am, a grilling god. Im also on about my 3rd extremely tall captain and coke. I am completely effing toasted. Thank god for built in spell check in Firefox. Although I don't know why it doesn't immediately recognize teriyaki. Because when I finished writing this, I think every other word was underlined.

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Yeah, i've a friend who's a Vegan, i was talking to my doctor about him last year, and my doctor said i should point out how most Vegans die much younger than people who eat meat, and are generally some of the most unhealthy people on the planet.

Go figure...
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    When you try to deny your body what it naturally requires, you tend to get pretty unhealthy. Vegetarians have to take a lot of supplements to replace the stuff they would normally get from meat (protein, in particular). Vegans practically need to live on pills to replace the stuff they miss out on...
  • Regardless, people eat WAY too much meat. Maybe a halfway point between vegetarian and typical American meat eater (screw that, only a third of the way to the meat eater) and you'd be even healthier.

You really don't need a lot of meat.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    A veggie-for-life friend just recently converted to meat. Not necessarily for love of it as much as balanced nutritional intake, but he survived and is now able to consume a wider range of foody goodness.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Seafroggys;177595]Regardless, people eat WAY too much meat. Maybe a halfway point between vegetarian and typical American meat eater (screw that, only a third of the way to the meat eater) and you'd be even healthier.

You really don't need a lot of meat.[/QUOTE]

I suspect this is more of an American problem than a general problem. People in NZ don't eat huge quantities of meat, and people here definitely don't.
  • Meat is good.

In moderation, naturally.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I was vegetarian for two years. Just to try it out.

You only need to eat meat one to two meals a week to stay healthy, and some people need less than that, depends on your blood type apparently.

Anyway, today, I eat meat three, four times a week, and then only because I like it.

I find it hard to convert people to meat though, unless its your gf/bf/meh, I recommend you dont try it, people can be stubborn to the point of fanaticism, especially with all the propaganda going on..
    My vegan friend, is a RedBull fiend, and he almost stoppd drinking it when he discovered that Taurine (one of the main ingredients in RedBull) is an orgainc Acid derived from bull bile.

He actually had me go searching to find out if it was natural or synthetic.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    well, it wasn't my decision to convert them, it was theirs. I am sure I do eat too much red meat, but its sooooo good. Anyways, they enjoyed it, so mission accomplished.

They have decided to have meat in maybe 1 meal a day just to help augment the protein deficiencies. I am more than happy to make sure the meat they eat is not the hard, gray mass of crap they remembered it being.
    Sound like a good plan. :)
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I usually cannot digest large quantities of meat. But if it's cooked nicely, I can do it.. :) Sometimes I find a big meat dish digests better than some simple things like soup. Weird huh?
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    My diet has been weak lately. I usually only eat one meal a day, possibly two if required. Its ranged from Cheese Quesadillas, french fries, or Premade Buffalo Chicken Strips. I am no vegan though, Infact I'd like a nice Salisbury Steak right now!
    Yeah...Steak is one of those dishes that if you talk about it, you just crave it...
    Well go get one!

*Contemplates Filet Mignoc*
    *Contemplates Filet Murloc*
    did you buy WOTLK? I sure didn't!
  • Also consider that meat eating is one of the contributing factors to global warming. Beef farms are HEAVY polluters, both airborne and soil/water, and pig farms as well.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Also eating meet limits the food avaliable in the world. One serving of meat could of made 10-20 searvings of plant food instead.
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    The trouble with a non-meat diet is getting enough [i]complete[/i] protein. Proteins from different sources vary in their amino acid profiles. Many proteins from plant sources are deficient or entirely lacking of certain essential amino acids. Meat provides the easiest way to get complete protein. Dairy, in the way of whey and casein would probably be a close second. So while you may be able to get a larger amount of food from plants, there's no guarantee you're getting enough complete protein without meat.
    I AM MURLOC!

oh and i had a vegan cookie last night, right after i ate MEAT!, mmmmmmm

As i point out to my veggie/vegan friends, if we were not ment to eat animals, the would not be covered in meat, nor would they be so tasty!
  • my sister went vegan awhile back.

She also researched it for a couple years, and is ensuring a complete healthy diet without using supplements to do so. Overall, she and her husband have more energy, and havn't lost weight (If they did it was to a healthy outcome).

So it can be done...but it takes some doing to do it right.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Don't forget the cow farts. :D Humans are detrimental to the environment.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    I had a good friend who was vegetarian for most of her life. I don't think her diet had any real order to it other than not eating meat. She always got sick really easy and felt tired most of the time. It wasn't until deciding to travel extensively that she had no choice to eat meat since keeping a veggie diet became almost impossible in many places. After going back to including meat in her diet it was a complete turnaround. Much stronger, healthier and energetic. I think any vegetarian diet definately needs to be carefully planned.

If you don't eat meat, you don't eat bacon. Never trust anyone who will not eat bacon.
    Good point.
    Your quote has earned a place in my signature. I take that quote completely seriously too.
    Is that your serious, [i]invisible[/i] signature?
    testing testing signature on 1, 2 and...
  • I know a couple of people who are even stricter than vegan or vegetarian. They are fruitarian and will only eat what falls naturally from the trees. They see eating vegetables as just as cruel as eating meat because you kill them by ruthlessly pulling them out of the ground (about here is where I get mental images of hysterical carrots and can't focus for laughing.)
    Reminds me of the idiots in this : [url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=-7VeJDErkV8[/url]
    I have only the utmost respect for fruitarians, I hope they dont wash or walk on grass either. Because thats murder, murder I say!