Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

WB may be ready to bring B5 to the big screen...

[url]http://sknr.net/2009/01/19/warner-bros-may-be-ready-to-bring-babylon-5-to-the-big-screen/[/url]

Not going to believe it until shooting starts, but well...here's hoping!

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=A2597;179095]Not going to believe it until shooting starts, but well...here's hoping![/QUOTE]

Likewise, but still its good that WB is initiating it instead of JMS
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I wondered if JMS' current film work would have an effect like this. If the upcoming Star Trek movie turns out to be successful, that might have some positive influence too.

But I'm not going to get excited until production actually begins.

Worf
  • If it gets made, I'm hoping so much for the Telepath War...
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Eh, I don't want it anymore.
  • I'm also fine with B5 being over, but one last quality work would be welcomed. Especially if it's a story we've been waiting for, like, as I said, the Telepath War. As long as what we get isn't disappointing.
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    I agree, the Telepath war would be good but to get an entire war into a 2 hour film would be challenging.
    It could be more like the telepath skirmish which would be disappointing.

What other storylines would draw you in? Lennier's story?
    Resuscitation of Marcus? Garibaldi's set up?
  • If there's a movie, we also have to keep in mind that the possible story would have to be something that could appeal to the general audience, so while we as fans might like a movie about, say, Valen in his Shadow War and what happened to him afterwords, the general public probably wouldn't be all that interested. I think that the Telepath War has a lot of potential though.
    As for the "Resuscitation of Marcus", there was a story JMS wrote about that, but I prefer to just think that he's dead and stayed frozen forever, since I didn't care for that story and how Marcus acted in it.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [quote]My error was in falling so much in love with that universe, and the cast and crew, that I was tempted — and succumbed to that temptation — to keep it going.[/quote]

If only he had realised that earlier...
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Telepath war would be great! I think it could easily be done in a 2 hour movie and not seem small. On top of that, it wouldn't require a lot of explanation for non fans.

Here we have two groups, Telepaths and Mundanes, FIGHT!

Ok, a little more backstory than that, but you get the idea.
  • [QUOTE=Biggles;179121]If only he had realised that earlier...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that he should have just ended it when it became clear that Crusade no longer had a chance at being made.
    Except that I did like the trilogies that we got. Those were cool. Especially the Psi Corps and Technomage books.
    The trap that JMS fell into is an easy one to do.

At least he stopped before we got a B5 equivalent of Enterprise.

Worf
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Interesting timing for this. If WB want to bring it back then they better not be a bunch of tight wads and only cough up $1m and expect great things. Give JMS the budget he deserves.

I wonder with Joe's new high level contacts in Hollywood, if he'd be able to get Clint Eastwood or Ron Howard to direct? Probably not the kind of movie they'd be interested in who knows...

Biggles yeah its good he realises his mistake. Unlike a certain other meddling scifi writer/director.

Going to keep my fingers crossed but not getting excited until its signed sealed and recording.
  • meh, never cared much about the telepaths. Didn't like the books that much either. Any time I think telepaths, that scar that is Byran shows up...and it ruins the whole thing.

Need something with Garabaldi and Londo I think. Question is...what?
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    [QUOTE=A2597;179131]meh, never cared much about the telepaths. Didn't like the books that much either. Any time I think telepaths, that scar that is Byran shows up...and it ruins the whole thing.

Need something with Garabaldi and Londo I think. Question is...what?[/QUOTE]
    Now you see, dammit I did a really good job of blocking that guy out of my B5 memories. Now look what you gone and did.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Wouldn't surprise me if they went for the reboot style.
  • [quote]At least he stopped before we got a B5 equivalent of Enterprise.[/quote]

you know, I see this all the time...what the hell was so bad about Enterprise?! I actually enjoyed it quite a bit!

...maybe it's because I'm more of a Star Wars fan than a Trekker.

Anyway, on point, and B5 that is done well is welcome for me! I want more Garibaldi!
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    story idea: the Lumati return and fulfill their threat/promise/offer ;)
    I'd love to see the First Great Shadow War. Mainly because it would have some awesome cgi battle goodness!
    I don't think we'll see Valen's story although I imagine it could be made to appeal to non fans.

But my understanding is that Michael O'Hare has retired from acting.

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    No humans in it, so probably too difficult to justify to WB as having a wider audience.

[QUOTE=HuntSmacker;179137]Wouldn't surprise me if they went for the reboot style.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking that, too. "Reboots" are the in-thing at the moment, after all.
    And a 12 year old Captain Sheridan in command of the station? :/

I don't think JMS would want to take the reboot path.

Worf
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Well, as we've seen with the latest Batman movie, reboots aren't all bad. Our cast are getting on a bit now though... That kind of limits the stories that can be told in the verse.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'm sorry, but if they went for a reboot then I wouldnt watch. If it comes down to "no B5" or "new but rebooted" then I'm gonna have to say no to more B5. It does NOT need rebooting
    There was a 10 year gap between when TOS ended and the first Star Trek movie was released. That's the same amount of time since B5 ended, so I don't think that limits the stories that can be told.

Worf
    A reboot will probably be what WB want but I agree that JMS won't want it. Could be a difficult choice. I'm not sure the Telepath War idea would have wide enough appeal to pull in a bigger audience. I see a similarity with Firefly and Serenity here. FireFly had a loyal fan base but Serenity failed as it wasn't a commercial success. There's a massive risk that a B5 movie could go the same way.

I'm in two minds really about a reboot.

Its typical of bloody studios. Obviously someone at WB has suddenly woke up and thought "ooh look at Paramount they've got this new Trek reboot. Lets do something similar with something we own".

So O'Hare has retired. Wasn't he doing mostly theatre work?
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Right now the current reboot theme is a darker, grittyer theme (except for the new Enterprise bridge looking like an Apple store). Having physically, not nostalgia, watched season 1 last year there are definite cringe moments. In the context of the time it was fine, but with the high production values we've seen right off the bat in BSG and Firefly it can be a definite barrier to entry. If done well I would be interested in seeing the story retold.

As far as the movie one part I am interested in seeing is the great burn, or the story after the burn. It still is the universe we love but puts enough distance from the events and characters we have come to known to not piss of "OMGZ DON'T TOUCH IT" people.
  • The Great Burn, or post Great Burn. I like that idea, and it was one of the stories I was hoping The Lost Tales would address.
    Personally, I'd just prefer to have B5 be done with, though if there could be one last project as a good, well made movie about something that really is interesting, then I would welcome that. I'm also not totally against the idea of a remake, but if it was done, I'd like to see it go off of JMS's original idea, but of course, that would have to mean that they'd have to get JMS's permission to use those notes. But I just have this feeling that if it was made, they'd have a bunch of too young actors playing everyone and everything would be "darker" to make it more XTREME. I have never claimed that B5 is perfect, and Croxis is absolutely right about the first season (and not just the first season really), but despite all that, it's still my favorite show.
    Another thing on the subject of B5 things that came out after the show. I thought that JMS's G'kar and Lyta story that appeared in Amazing Stories was pretty cool, and would have liked to see more short stories about them.
    We know that JMS refused to recast the actors before, so it seems very unlikely he'll be in favour of a reboot.

Yes, some of the first season isn't that great but I wouldn't want to see it remade. That's going along the George Lucas path. Leave it alone and add something new to the universe.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    All I want is the damned Telepath War already. As I've explained so many times, it's the perfect concept for modern times (or was, perhaps, three years ago). The enemy could be anyone, anywhere. They don't carry a gun, aren't making bombs, nor are they likely to even act remotely suspicious. With some advancement, they might even be able to follow-up on what they hinted back in early b5: Telekenetics as soldiers. Imagine a war without a single shot fired! It could be brilliant, and yet it seems to never be less than completely ignored.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [B][I]In a world where just a thought can kill you!

Warner Brothers presents, Telepath War!

The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father.

BAM! :D[/I][/B]