Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

District 9

SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
Saw this earlier today. A brilliant film with an incredible take on an old idea. It was significantly darker than I expected, so much more violent and gory, and even shocking at times. The simple act of disguising a human rights story as cross-species relations really manages to bring to light so many of the inequeties that get blinded by the presence of social norms. Removing the human condition from the picture allows one to see the base relationship for what it is, and District 9 played this beautifully.

The high point of my night was noticing the audience as a whole realizing this wasn't actually the movie they expected to see, but not in a negative sense. So many people stayed back to discuss what they saw...something I haven't seen in ages!

[sp=some bits of the film. Thoughts and observations]Though out of the entire movie, the pinnacle of awesomeness had to be the inappropriate use of a pig as a weapon. Truly amazing and perfectly fitting with the darker humor streak hidden inside. Similarly, the setup shortly prior of the "bullet collection" and following re-firing as performed by the unmanned power armor.

If I had a complaint, it was that the lead became a "morally balanced" hero somewhat abruptly. At the same time, Christopher continued to be loyal and supportive to the man who repeatedly abandoned him when the situation was unfavorable to continuing their relationship. That aside, fantastic.[/sp]

Comments

• CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    I'm running an experiment. I have no idea what it's about. I refuse to watch trailers or read plot summaries. I believe I'll enjoy the movie more this way.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I've been doing that for years. The only trailer I've seen for District 9 is the first teaser. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I do it the other way, watch the trailers, read the reviews and only go to see those worth watching. Saves me a lot of ca$h. :D
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I've found that reviewers are often wrong and give away key plot details more regularly than they should.
  • saw it, and yes, it was the best summer flick thus far. (Excluding Up!)

Spoiler:
    My only gripes, include Sanfams observation of the guy going from dick to "meh, I'll be selfless for the first time all movie and help them out" in a very short span of time.

And in the medical parts, why the FRAK wasn't the doctor wearing gloves when dealing with opens wounds? And a bit later, everyone else is wearing mask, except for the guy pushing the protagonist around...just little things like that irk me.

As for speculation, does anyone agree with me that the "fluid" is a form of storing data in a bio manner. In particular, playing on the terrabytes of data stored in DNA, but using it for storing the operating instructions/processor of their technology? Thereby explaining why the protagonist DNA was being rewritten, and how come the ship couldn't function without it. Still had power, but lacked the instruction set as to how to use that power.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Eh, who cares how it works as long as it serves the plot.

I thought the movie was brilliant. I use two metrics for the awesomeness of a movie: if the theater burst into ovation at the end, or it is eerily subdued and quiet. The latter happened in this case.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I've never been in a theatre that burst into ovation. I've been in plenty where the row behind you just wouldn't shut up. :D
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    The only time I have ever been in a theater that burst into applause was the first screening (opening night) of Star Trek earlier this year. Blew me away.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I've been there for a couple. The key is opening night showings.
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers/Return of the King: The death of Sauron met with full-house applause and hooting.

District 9 actually had some applause for the closing combat scenes which surprised me. But it was also fairly badass. :P The conclusion was quiet, though, with an abnormally high number of people staying behind to watch the credits. That last part is what really shows a good film.

Star Trek got it a few times, but It was mostly for some few bitchin' lines.

Star Wars got it at the obvious parts. And the entire theater was laughing at the "Nooooo!"-heard 'round the world.

Crank 1 and 2 had lots of applause and hoots of support. But then again, they [i]were[/i] pretty sweet.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I loved this movie. Sure there were some things that could have been different to make it better, but what movie doesn't have those things.

And I'm happy that I don't go see movies where people applaud or cheer. In a few movies there have been people start laughing at a joke too early so you miss some even funnier comeback or something similar.
  • Yeah this movie was amazing. While Star Trek was a more fun movie, I thought this was a better film. Plus the [SP]fight at the end was so freaking badass[/SP]
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Saw it yesterday and loved it.

Definitely getting the dvd when it comes out..

The main character was kind of an asshole through the whole movie, and not sure if he ever fully made himself worth to me.. But Christopher and his son were the high light for me.

I didnt even once have that same thought that plagues so many other movies like that.. YOu know the one.. "Fuck this is some shitty cgi" with him. Hell, he was the more heroic and positive thing about the movie. They might've as well made the movie fully of him and I'd watched it. :D
  • To be honest, this had some of the most realistic CGI I had ever seen. Considering this movie is considered "low budget" (what was it, 1/10 of Transformers or something?) I was amazed, but even not considering that I was still amazed.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Here's the original short film: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgtbEdqVsk"]Original[/URL]
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Just watched it and it was an excellent film. Not really sure what else I can add that hasn't been said already.

Worf