Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Annual movie update!

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
For the past 15 years I attended the Oregon science fiction and fanticy convention Orycon. Every year Gareth Von Kallenbach provides us with information and insider rumors on upcoming movie and television series. Once again I return with my notes. I will do the best I can to remember. And to be fair, yes there may be spoilers.

Also, in response from a tool a while ago, I scribbled these on a note pad a couple days ago. I may have a thing or two wrong. No need to be a dick about it.

The budget for Avatar now exceeds $400 million USD.
A new Star Trek movie is in the planning stages (duh). One story being considered is Kahn. If this is used they wish to have Nestor Carbonell as Kahn
In the new Sherlock Holmes movie there with be a cameo of Moriarty played by Brad Pitt.
With the commercial success of Call of Duty ideas for a movie are being tossed around.
The new Terminator DVD will have the R rated directors cut. Rumor has it this improves the movie.
The rights for the Terminator franchise are up for auction. Sony wants it. Very Badly.
20,000 Leagues remake is in jeopardy and will probably die.
JJ Abrams got the rights to make a Micronaut movie.
Riddly Scott is planning on doing an Alien prequil
Next July Predators comes out. Actors have enough faith in the script they signed multi movie deals.
Many movies are coming out in 3D. Many studios will measure on expanding 3D releases based on how well Avatar does. Movie studios are now contacting sun glass manufacturers to make sunglasses that also dual as 3D glasses.
Saw 7 will be in 3D as will Zombieland 2.
Dreamworks says that Shrek 4 will be the final one.
Thor begins filming this January, staring Chris Hemsworth (daddy Kirk)
Clone Wars has done so well that the live action Star Wars series has been pushed another two years down the road.
Two Independence Day sequels are being considered.
China loves the movie 2012. ABC is thinking of doing a TV series called 2013 following the survivors.
There will be a Yogi bear movie. Dan Aykroyd will be voicing Yogi, and Justin Timerlake is voicing Booboo.
Resident Evil 4 in pre production
New Heman movie is still moving forwarrd
Stallone is making a movie called Expendable and is trying to get every action star to be in it.
Indiana Jones 5 has an outline.
Hancock 2, Ghost Rider 2, Wolverine 2, Lost Boys 3, Silent Hill 2 are being made. I am legend 2 lost steam.
There is interest in Men in Black 3
A new Tremors movie. Tremors: the thunder from down under.
The Tron footage that he saw looks good.
JMS has been contracted to write (another) Forbidden Planet script
A lone Ranger movie lost steam
Judge Dred remake is in planning stages
Office has been contracted for two more seasons
A Team movie being made. Liam Neeson has Hannibal
Sam Ruby (sp) attached to direct World of Warcraft movie
Another Dune remake being kicked around
Fahrenheit 451 is on life support and probably wont be made
A new mad Max is being considered. They are willing to recast Max
New Ghost busters is being planned, light on the CGI, and with an all women crew
Now that Dollhouse is gone Joss is starting to think about Firefly direct to DVD movies. This willt ake time to go anywhere though
Ironman 2 looking good, the Captain America does well, Ironman 3 will be Avengers 1
20th Fox picked up Narnia (Disney does not light high budget movies)
Fantastic 4 will be remade in 2011
A new Pirates of the Caribbian movie is being planned, without Orlando Bloom.
Green Lantern (Ryan Renolds!)
Hangover 2
Because of how well Transformers did, Candyland and Monopoly movies are being made. Battleship will come out first.
There is Marvin the Martian movie being made
V lost 27% of viewership from episode 1 to 2. The network is massaging it during the downtime. We will see if they improved or destroyed it when it returns.
Underworld 4 in pre production
Yes there will be a Transformers 3
There will be a Stretch Armstrong movie
Happy feet 2, Bourn 4, Madagascar 3, Kung Fu Panda 2
Arrested development movie is being done by Fox Searchlight
Justice League movie is now on the back burner
A Fantastic Voyage remake is being considered
Futurama is getting a full 26 episode season
Family Guy will be doing an Empire Strikes back movie, as well as Wrath of Kahn.
PussnBoots movie, Karold and Kumar 3 - a Herold and Kumar Christmas (why is sulu acting all funny mommy?)
Hellboy 3is expected 2012
Xfiles 3 is still considered a go, Carter wants it to be a stand alone movie. If made it willc ome out December 21st 2012
Red Dawn remakes comes out next year.

Comments

• David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [quote]Futurama is getting a full 26 episode season[/quote]

That's good. Last I heard, it was something crazy like 26 episodes, but spread over three or four years.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Nestor Carbonell will not be Khan.

R rated Terminator DVD adds a few seconds of footage.

Live action Star Wars will soon rival Duke Nukem Forever for delays.

Firefly short stories were revealed by Jane Espensen on Twitter a week or so ago. I say short but she also said one of them was 6 hours.

X-Files 3 will not be standalone if it comes out on that date, as that is when the final alien invasion is expected to take place.

Worf
  • The only thing on that list that I care about at all is that Futurama might get 26 new episodes.
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Woo, Silent Hill 2. Hope they do a better job of it than the first one. can has moar abstract horror nao plz.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=croxis;185489]I may have a thing or two wrong. No need to be a dick about it.[/QUOTE]

Fine, have it your way. :P

[QUOTE]Riddly Scott is planning on doing an Alien prequil[/QUOTE]

There is Vicks Dayquil and Vicks Nyquil. But now there's Alien Prequil! The cold medicine to kill all colds. :D
  • David, the Ghostbusters movie will have the original guys but have a NEW team of ghostbusters that'd be all women.

Also, I don't remember if you mentioned it, but new Fantastic Four will be recast. Jessica Alba is too expensive.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    [QUOTE]Family Guy will be doing an Empire Strikes back movie, as well as Wrath of Kahn.[/QUOTE]

this has WIN written all over it!
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Most of those news are not news (if not all) if you read io9.com or kotaku.com. :P
    He said, not to be a dick about it. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Yeah, but he was only talking to you. :p

[QUOTE=croxis;185489]
    Because of how well Transformers did, Candyland and Monopoly movies are being made. Battleship will come out first.[/QUOTE]

I really can't understand a) why Transformers doing well means a Monopoly movie will do well, and b) what on Earth (or any other part of the Universe) there is to make a movie about in Monopoly, Candyland or Battleships.
  • I want more information on the Ghost in the Shell live action movie....
  • Okay, I had [I]not[/I] heard about the possibility of new Firefly. That makes me feel all tingly in my pants!!

Although, after finally seeing 'Epitaph One' I am sad to hear that Dollhouse has met its fate.

But...more Firefly! Yes, please, and let's go pre-movie! not really a Spoiler: More Wash!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    The sad part, looking though that entire list, there are only 2 or 3 original ideas there.

[QUOTE=SpiritOne;185498][quote]Family Guy will be doing an Empire Strikes back movie, as well as Wrath of Kahn.[/quote] this has WIN written all over it![/QUOTE]

The Family Guy ESB comes out Dec 22nd: [URL="http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/familyguysomethingsomethingsomethingdarkside/"]Something Something Something Darkside.
    [/URL]

Unfortunately, I don't think it will be aired until May. I'm guessing Fox is trying to squeeze out some DVD sales before it goes into the aired circulation.

Jake
  • [quote]The sad part, looking though that entire list, there are only 2 or 3 original ideas there.[/quote]

Nothing beats a pre-sold franchise, in Hollywood.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;185502]Yeah, but he was only talking to you. :p[/QUOTE]

How do you know? He didn't say that. :D Are you guys talking behind my back? Does this IRC thing actually work??

[QUOTE]I really can't understand a) why Transformers doing well means a Monopoly movie will do well, and b) what on Earth (or any other part of the Universe) there is to make a movie about in Monopoly, Candyland or Battleships.[/QUOTE]

There you have it, that's how they operate in Hollywood, if it makes no sense, they'll do it. They must use astrology or some tarot cards to determine what to do next.

If they like it, they must like more of the same. I mean why go through the trouble of being creative? In a way, they are right.
    Well, Transformers Monopoly Candyland and Battleship are owned by Hasbro....so they should all translate well to a movie format right?

Jake
    Wow, imagine that, board game companies producing TV shows.

"Coming up next, this week's new episode of CLUE. Who is it going to be this week? Col. Mustard with the rope, in the lobby? But who is the victim? Stay tuned to find out!"

Maybe not.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Excellent. I always look forward to these threads. Unfortunately, Ive begun listening to IGNs podcasts, so knew 95% of this already, but thanks nonetheless. :)
    [QUOTE=Stingray;185513]Wow, imagine that, board game companies producing TV shows.

"Coming up next, this week's new episode of CLUE. Who is it going to be this week? Col. Mustard with the rope, in the lobby? But who is the victim? Stay tuned to find out!"

Maybe not.[/QUOTE]

Of course [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088930/"]Clue:The Movie[/URL] has already been made...and it's actually not a bad little who-dun-it film thanks to Tim Curry, Christopher Loyd and Madeline Kahn.

Jake
    Figures... but I was talking about a TV show... nothing is going to keep them from doing that... remember Stargate the movie? Well, they initially had planned to make it a trilogy... but they ended up making a very successful TV show and a couple spin-offs. Not all hope is lost. :D
  • I'm still waiting for the Under Siege 3 from the previous list where Steven takes on aliens :D
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    And I still want to see those Stargate Sequels. If the Larson BSG-reboot attempt actually takes off, then it's pretty damned possible we'll see some of those "I still want to make those sequels" rumblings become reality.

I love the idea of forks of a single franchise running in parallel, even if they represent completely different directions. While this may confuse the average viewer and is probably not likely to make for a successful venture, I can't help but feel that this would really help spawn some original plotting.

Take Stargate, for example. So much of what was set up in that movie was supposed to lead into the discovery of other major religions and mythologies being proven to have been "outsourced" in the sequels, with the likes of Greek/Roman and Nordic mythology being expanded upon further. SG-1 took the seed and expanded in the direction of System Lords, but the possibility exists for Stargate Sequels to be "Really Fucking Awesome" in their own right. The characters would be the same, but the setup would diverge so quickly as to become completely distinct.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I don't think even the characters would be that similar. O'Neil(l) and Jackson were the only major characters to carry over from the film into the series, and Jack was retooled immediately, and Daniel has developed so much in the last twelve years to be virtually unrecognizable (remember the season 7 publicity shots where he had bigger muscles than Teal'c? Remember "chicken man"? Yeah.).
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=croxis;185489]
    There will be a Yogi bear movie. Dan Aykroyd will be voicing Yogi, and Justin Timerlake is voicing Booboo.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, Jellystone Park is in the central North Island of New Zealand.
    The new Sherlock Holmes movie is going to be released to the public on Friday. While I think RD Jr. can pull off just about any role, I'm not sure Guy Ritchie stuck too close to the source material.
  • I'm really dreading the Sherlock Holmes movie. The ads make it look like they have no respect for the source material at all.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Yeah they really just should have named the movie Robert Downey Jr and Explosions in 19th Century England.

In other news, Family Guy Something, Something, Something Dark Side was released today. Despite getting ready for a trip tomorrow I picked it up, and have it downloaded on the iphone for viewing tomorrow.

Otherwise, ill be out for a week, be safe, have a good christmas folks.
    [QUOTE=DarthCaligula;185894]I'm really dreading the Sherlock Holmes movie. The ads make it look like they have no respect for the source material at all.[/QUOTE]

I saw Sherlock Holmes and it's a roller-coaster ride from beginning to end and has very little to do with the author's original work. Certainly worth watching once. The next James Bond movie might as well take place in Victorian England and it wouldn't be much different than what was done here. I'm not sure what a horse-drawn coach designed by Astin Martin would look like, but I'm sure Guy Ritchie would think of something. :D A pipe smoking Daniel Craig, now that would be a great departure. I'm surprised he didn't get the job instead of RD Jr.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    From what I've heard of the movie, I really don't want to see it. Thank you, but I've seen enough shitty "adaptations" of stories and characters I've enjoyed.
    What are you afraid of? There are far worse ways to waste your time. :D

It fits right into the line of nonsense that was [I][URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311429/"]The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen[/URL][/I].