Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

NASA doing a MMO

In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
How did I miss this ??????

[url]http://www.massively.com/2009/12/16/nasa-releases-new-information-on-their-upcoming-mmo/[/url]

Me first Me first !!!!:D

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Great, a trailer park on the moon, tornadoes are sure to follow. :(
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Watch out for them moon tornados, they're vicious!
  • Can't wait to play with Lvl 79 Neil Armstrong with space axe and advanced power space suit.
  • I can't wait to go whaling!
    All together, now!

[i]We're whalers on the moon,
    We carry a harpoon,
    For they ain't no whales
    So we tell tall tales
    And sing our whaling tune.[/i]
    Judging from the preview clip, singing to yourself will be one of the major attractions of the "game." I mean other than yet another dating service, what are you supposed to do inside this MMO?

I skipped MS Space Simulator when it came out a decade ago. Space, taken onto itself, is a very dangerous and boring place. Is it going to be a Sims in space game? I still don't get what its main features are going to be.
    Microsoft Space Simulator was so much fun. It's a real shame they cancelled it, but thankfully we have things like Ortiber (often featured on NASA TV when they need to show a pretty graphic of the space shuttle or station) to pick up where they left off.
    Orbiter doesn't appear to have been updated since 2006. I wonder if it works with Vista or Win7...

EDIT: Well it runs with Vista... I've managed to load the Atlantis demo and was able to witness a shuttle launch, change views and quit the program... and that's about it. I guess whoever programmed it, hit the ground running, no help required.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Considering it involves the education arm of NASA it will have an education spin on it.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Trying to make some extra money for the space programme? :P
    This doesn't even look close to becoming profitable, let alone recouping its cost.
    It's NASA. I don't think it's meant to.

What shocks me is that noone has asked the really [i]important[/i] question yet: what factions will be available? Will we be able to choose to play as a Communist from the USSR racing NASA to the moon? Could we play as a Chinese team setting up a competing base? How about Martians building a staging base for an attack on Earth?
    Now that would be a game worth playing.

Unfortunately it's difficult to top a real rocket launch. :D
    [url]http://www.edge-online.com/features/where-no-game-has-gone-before[/url]

According to this article the average age of NASA employees is 50 years old. This does not bode well for the future of the space program. Already we lost knowledge from the Apollo mission because the engineers who designed the things are dead or gone, and Boeing destroyed the blueprints in the 1990's.

I suspect the reason why we have not been to Mars or back to the Moon yet is because there is none of the youthful energy at NASA.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    A new Battlezone would be nice. Battlezone MMO. Yeah.
    [QUOTE=croxis;185962]According to this article the average age of NASA employees is 50 years old. This does not bode well for the future of the space program.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's why Nasa's education branch invests so much in trying to convince kids to become scientists or engineers. Lawyers are much less likely to build a successful rocket.
    Neither are MMO players. :D
    No, but I can't help but wonder how much better are cities are because Sim City/2000/3000/4 inspired someone to become a city planner who would never of been one had they not played the game.
    So playing WoW is supposed to inspire people to do what exactly? :D
    WoW isn't intended to be educational.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    [QUOTE=Stingray;185934]Orbiter doesn't appear to have been updated since 2006. I wonder if it works with Vista or Win7...

EDIT: Well it runs with Vista... I've managed to load the Atlantis demo and was able to witness a shuttle launch, change views and quit the program... and that's about it. I guess whoever programmed it, hit the ground running, no help required.[/QUOTE]

Actually they're working on it. Last update was in october, but they are beta builds. They are trying to seperate the rendering engine from the physics so other people can work on better graphics while the guy who created orbiter can work on the stuff he finds interesting such as the physics.

Flying the space shuttles and apollo missions as your first flight is really hard. Try downloading DeltaGlider IV for an easy to fly space craft. Even if it's unrealistic it's something you can actually achieve something with.

Also if you want to get planets more realistic (hills and craters) there is an mod for that but it's a bitch to get to work properly.
  • Best thing to do with Orbiter is to open the shuttle bay doors during lift off and eject the satellite or whatever you are carrying. After you reach the space, head towards terra firma and try to land in North Korea or eject the shuttle pilot before the crash.

9/10
    Also consider reading the manual. Orbiter is not a simple program.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Manuals are for whimps!
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I had a blast (hah!) with Orbiter a few years back. There is a very thorough Apollo moonshot module available for it, including a very detailed reproduction of the capsule's flight computer Well, I made five attempts to get to the moon and each one was a disaster. I missed it twice, hit it twice, and somehow managed to insert the craft into a poorly plotted (decaying) orbit. I failed pretty miserably, even with a thorough step-by-step guide and seemingly well-timed action steps. doh :(