Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Sherlock

RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
So, anyone else seen this?
I found it interesting how close it was to the original story (or at least the parts i've read, i'm still in the first half)

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Are you talking about [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/"]this?[/URL]

Haven't seen it yet. Not sure we need yet another Sherlock Holmes. As far as I'm concerned the late Jeremy Brett has yet to be topped.

I would love to see new stories with new cases. How about a modern day or futuristic duo instead?
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    that's exactly what i'm talking about, and: it's set in modern day london.
    I found it thoroughly enjoyable, and very good casting. The first episode was based on "a study in scarlet", though i can't comment if the case itself was changed (haven't finished reading it), the character bit's weren't.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I've got it from the BBC iplayer, so I'll try watching it tomorrow.
    Just finished watching it and I like the modern take on Doyle's characters. A bit too much texting in it for my taste, but other than that, it was enjoyable indeed.

I look forward to more. :)
    Second episode was ok. It's quite unusual to watch episodes that are 90 minutes long. I thought the reluctance of the police inspector was a bit overplayed.

It'll take a few more episodes to get used to the cast. I'm not too crazy about any of them right now.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Good luck with a few more episodes, they only made three.

I'm rather enjoying it, the first episode had a better writer, Steven Moffat so it's not really a surprise you liked that one more. Still, I thought episode two was good and I'm looking forward to the finale next sunday.

Worf
    Great, so it's a good thing we don't get too attached to the show. I guess this was just a proof of concept then.

I was actually surprised they didn't have Lestrade in the second episode. That was a mistake. He's more important than say Mrs Hudson.

What's up with BBC television anyway? Top Gear season ends after only 6 episodes. Fifth Gear dropped two presenters and each episode got shortened to a mere 20 minutes and there is still that silly car contest in it.

I suppose something had to give and if they dropped Dr. Who they'd have a riot on their hands.
    The BBC doesn't make 22 episode seasons like most American shows.

Six is actually fairly common and with Sherlock having feature length epsiodes, it's basically the same.

My understanding is they are very pleased with how it's been recieved so they're looking at making some more.

The BBC won't drop Doctor Who because it's one of their most important and popular shows.
    I wonder how the BBC determines how well a show gets received or not.

While it's not easy to maintain a high level of writing, it's certainly a show that has definitely some potential.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I've yet to watch the first episode, but the second was pretty good. I'm also not wildly taken with any if the characters or actors, but I will be watching the last episode.
    Excellent finale. Here's hoping they make some more.

One of the funniest moments has to be:

"Severed head?"
    "Just tea for me thanks."
    "No, there's a severed head in the fridge."
    "Yes."
    "A bloody head!"
    "Where else was i supposed to put it? You don't mind do you?"
    I was quite impressed with the last episode, it had some good moments!
    I was expecting Mrs Hudson to open the fridge as well, followed by a scream off-screen. I also enjoyed the part at the beginning when Sherlock kept correcting the inmate on his faulty grammar. Pure comedy gold. :D

This episode was quite convoluted and probably deserves a second viewing.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I really liked the show, hope they make more. The ending of the third episode was a bit meh IMO.
    The BBC posted yesterday they intend to make more.

Worf
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    You know what the road to hell is paved with, right?
    The road to hell is paved with?

A) Tarmac
    B) Dirt
    C) Good Intentions

Call 555-321090908 for your chance to win a car you can't afford the petrol for. Get 1000 quids towards your car insurance. In addition to the grand prize you'll get an old video game console bundled with old racing games that no one purchased and a chance to get scared out of your wits while riding along the race track in a super car with Tiff. Contest void where prohibited.
    Yeah!!! I just finished watching the second "season" of Sherlock, another whopping 3 (that's three) 90' (that's ninety minutes) long episodes of this otherwise excellent series.

I still don't like the format, 3 episodes per season is way, way too little, and 90 minutes per episode are way, way too much.

The show drags on at times and after a while you ask yourself, it must be close to the end and then there's still half an hour to go!! And it's not because it's bad, but because your memory buffer is full. :D There is a reason why you should take a 10 minute break after a 50 minute lecture. Unless the teacher doesn't care whether anyone is still paying attention.

All episodes deserve to be watched several times because you can't catch all the details in one sitting, especially if you are not closely paying attention. I never just sit there and watch TV.

Anyway, the next "season" of Top Gear starts tonight, a whopping 7 episodes. For those of you who are tired of watching the same three blokes over and over may think that's 7 episodes too many. :D They still entertain me, so I'm glad to see them back on the air. ;)

I suppose a British dozen eggs only contains 6 or seven eggs. ;) But they are probably the best eggs you've ever tasted!! Still, I don't think it's fair to the public. I feel like I'm being lied to.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I would much rather have fewer, awesome episodes than a full season of "meh." They also are not called seasons, they are called series.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;194722]I suppose a British dozen eggs only contains 6 or seven eggs. ;) But they are probably the best eggs you've ever tasted!! Still, I don't think it's fair to the public. I feel like I'm being lied to.[/QUOTE]

But the British never decided that a single series must be a certain number of episodes. You're not being lied to, you're imposing the American model of television production on the rest of the world and complaining when it doesn't match reality. :p I'm not entirely sure why.
    Well, I never looked at it that way, them trying to shove their system onto ours.

I don't know about you, but I'm glad Babylon 5 wasn't made by the BBC. It might have been better, but I wouldn't have liked to watch this story in 15 episodes spread over 5 series. ;)

Ivanova: No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
    G'kar: Of course. LOVE to say, can't, have to go, kiss-kiss, love-love, bye!
    Sheridan: What was that all about?
    JMS: And CUT!
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I dunno. There were episodes I could of lived without.
    I guess it depends on what you're used to. Our shorter series seem normal to me, whereas a 22 or 25 episode run seems almost too long at times with more likelihood of lots of rubbish filler episodes.

I do agree tho that 3 episodes is too few, but 90mins was perfect. IMO it wouldn't have worked as a 60min show or as a 2-parter
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Stingray;194733]
    I don't know about you, but I'm glad Babylon 5 wasn't made by the BBC. It might have been better, but I wouldn't have liked to watch this story in 15 episodes spread over 5 series. ;)
    [/QUOTE]

I think a lot of [i]very[/i] promising series have died under the weight of a 22 episode run. The recent resurrection of "V" is a good example. The long season caused the episodes to drag out. It would have been a much more healthy show in a 12 to 14 episode story arc. I think Flash Forward would have been more likely to survive a shorter season and would have carried the weight of the subject matter better.

I even think a shorter run would allow shows with initially marginal viewership to build a fanbase without as much investment allowing them to come to a second season. Fox, having known there were 12 episodes available, would have run out to the end of Firefly, closed on a nice season finally and had an off season to build buzz around the show.

Now the one thing I don't like about BBC scheduling in the inconsistency. Dr. Who has been, over the last 4 seasons: 13 episodes starting in April, then next series was 4 movies, then back to 13, then 7 spring episodes and then 6 episodes then a long pause, followed by another 13 episode run but not starting until fall....

Jake
    There is only so much you can tell in a shorter period of time.

Counter point, I always thought that the original Star Wars trilogy was not enough to keep me happy... then we got another trilogy for our troubles and we haven't been the same since.

Thanks a lot for ruining the childhood of an entire generation, George! :D