Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Time for a new daily driver?

FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
My old Contour is about had it, so I'm thinking of getting a new car this fall. Since we have a wagon to haul stuff and the family, I'm thinking of getting something a little more sporty. Here is what I want, it must be:

2 or 3 door
Manual
Rwd or Awd
2+2 seating

Cars I am considering
Mercedes C230 Coupe
Pontiac GTO (Holden Monaro with an LS1 v8 for those on that side of the globe)
Mazada RX-8
Audi TT (back seats may be too small).

Looking to pay 8 to 14K for the car

Any thoughts?

Jake

Comments

• buddy of mine had the audi TT. loved driving it, hated everything else about it. No storage room, constantly in the repair shop (And expensive to repair)
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    The Mazda RX-8 is a fun little car. The rotax engine is different but solid and it puts a decent amount of power out for such a little car. Technically, its a 2+2 seating, but if that 2nd set of two are larger than the average 5' skinny girl, they wont be comfortable.

Have you looked into the Nissan Altima Coupe? Its a great car, decent room all around, great power, good looking lines. Plus Im a Nissan fan, and I can't resist pushing the product.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'd love to get an RX8. Tho I think it will be many years before I could afford one. One good thing about turning 25 earlier this year tho is that my insurance premiums start declining significantly.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Freejack;189520]Looking to pay 8 to 14K for the car

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Yes, tell us where you can get any of those cars in fair condition within the price bracket you are suggesting!
  • Audi TT is everything but maintenance free, and the "back seats" are a joke.

Mercedes C230 has a funny looking rear, but of course, that's just my opinion :P

No comments on the other cars.

I'm looking for a new car too, currently thinking about CLK Mercedes... Maybe next summer.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Stingray;189524]Yes, tell us where you can get any of those cars in fair condition within the price bracket you are suggesting![/QUOTE]

Here in St. Louis, its not all that hard.

[url]http://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=GTO&srchType=T&minAsk=8000&maxAsk=15000[/url]
    [url]http://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=C230&srchType=T&minAsk=8000&maxAsk=15000[/url]
    [url]http://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=rx8&srchType=T&minAsk=8000&maxAsk=15000[/url]

Jake
    he didnt say new. All those cars can be had for a budget if your a good shopper.
    The truth is you will pay a lot more money overall for those "high performance" cars due to maintenance or things breaking down the moment you drive off the parking lot of the dealership.

I'm no fan of those deals intended for "hobbyists". I'd get a new Corolla instead. At least you'd have a reliable car for the money.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Freejack, on the other hand, is one of those "hobbyists," so I guess he's prepared for the extra ownership costs.

Having said that, a local friend has a Mazda performance car and he doesn't seem to pay much for maintenance, nor does he seem to do much himself. It just keeps on running fine.
    As long as the prior owner hasn't hooned on them then none of those cars above should be too big of a maintenance hog as none are the uber-performance versions (Mustang GT500, BMW M3 would be good examples). The exception would be the TT, which has far more to do with the reliability of mid-2000s Audis that the performance nature of the car. The GM's LS1 V8 is a pretty bullet-proof engine and the Mazda are generally very reliable although the rotary engines can be oil consumers.

And as Biggles said, I do my own work, so a slightly higher maintenance level is not a big deal.

Jake
    Found another one to add to the list:

Infinity G35 coupe

Jake
    Nissan/Infinity make some dam fine cars. The G35 is a little screamer.
    It's Infiniti, ok, not Infinity. Just in case you want to check out their website. :D

That's some nice cars though. :)
    I have shamed myself. I am enough of a car nut that I should know it was spelled with an "i" :mad::laugh:

Jake
    shit man, like i said, I own 2 Nissan's and still misspelled it.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Hang your heads in shame! :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    You people disgust me.
    Says the floating brain in a tank....
    Hey, am I crazy if I want to get a Jaguar XK8 Coupe?

Jake
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    You're crazy anyway, so I'd say get something that complements that particular characteristic. Like a neon green milk delivery van.
    The fact that you hang out here is conclusive proof that you are indeed crazy!
    Finally landed on the car to get: Mercedes CLK500. Not as sporty as the Infinit[b]i[/b] G35 and not as in-your-face as the GTO. Still, 300hp V8 in a sleek looking coupe.

The CLKs don't have a B-pillar so it's really nice looking with the windows down.

Jake
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I think the GTO may be one of your best bets. Several years of moderate US sales and almost no US brand awareness made for a product with a high fun-per-dollar ratio after depreciation kicked in.

My second vote goes to the Mini Cooper S, though I'm torn between the earlier supercharged and later turbocharged models. Each have their perks, with the first generation generally being regarded as more fun to drive, but the second offering more refinement.

Though reading further down, it seems like you've already managed to find an option in the CLK500. Not a bad choice, but I'm surprised you managed to find it in this range. It's probable that the state of the economy combined with its generously large engine (and the related gas fears) has driven its value down a couple of notches (right to where it's nice and affordable :D)
    Yeah, I'm having to push up the price range to get there, but the wifey really wanted me to get an MB. There are some 03 down in the 15K range with 65K miles.

The cool thing is I have a buddy who is a sales manager at a dealership, so if we can catch an off-lease at auction, I can get it at wholesale.

Jake
    Welp, it's done, here is my new car:

[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/JSchnarre/CLK/Jake_CLK5008.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/JSchnarre/CLK/Jake_CLK5007.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/JSchnarre/CLK/Jake_CLK5009.jpg[/IMG]

Its a CLK500. Really slick looking B-pillarless coupe, 305hp V8, 7 speed tranny. Man does this car scoot...

Ignore the yahoo standing around, not sure what he thinks he's doing in the shot. :P

Jake
  • Well chosen :)
    Very nice!
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Nice looking car dude... good for cruising aight ;)

Sanfam I've driven a Mini Cooper S and while it was fun, like a gocart and nippy, the whine of the supercharger coming through the dashboard was very annoying. Even town driving I found the engine very unrefined and loud. It was a 1st model run and I think they've refined things a bit now. As far as I recall the 1st Mini's had Chrysler engines rather than BMW ones.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Ok well now it's my turn!

We are looking for a 2nd car, something for me to go back and forth to work in, high gas mileage is the highest priority.

Thinking about a Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris or Mazda3

Thoughts?

We have a Honda CR-V now
    Of those three, definitely the Mazda3. Maybe slightly less mileage than the Yaris/Fit, but heck of a good car.

Also, don't overlook the Ford Fiesta, probably one of the best of the ultra-compact class.

Jake