Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

A question about the A&A Books.

Triple-FTriple-F Earthforce Officer
Does anyone on here have a copy of the recently released Asked & Answered books. Specifically the one which covers jms replies over the years relating to the design of the Starfury. I have a favour to ask. Could you check to see if this reply from jms is included within them, thanks.

[quote]Ron's memory is in severe error. Nothing of the kind ever took place; I don't know who or what he's confusing, but that ain't the case. We asked Steve Burg to come up with something -- I had no real preconceptions on it other than that it had to behave by logical physics -- and after talking to Ron and John and a few others, Steve came back with the basic Starfury design, which is what we used. If I'd *had* a specific design in mind, I would've offered it...but I didn't.[/quote]

Comments

• Can you tell me the source and date of that quote, Triple-F?

Jan
  • Triple-FTriple-F Earthforce Officer
    It’s from the moderated newsgroup from may 28th, 1997.

[url]http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated/browse_thread/thread/fe9ce3e7a9bd78f/6c31f4b311cb7363#6c31f4b311cb7363[/url]

It’s different from most replies surrounding the ‘fury design as it has jms mention he had no specific design input other than the request about it behaving by logical physics. Doesn’t even include himself as one of those Steve spoke to.

Since recently speaking at length with Steve (and Ron) about the ‘fury, and other stuff, they did confirm jms’s input was limited to what the quote indicates. I’m just curious if it appears in the A&A books. Partly because I noticed the reply isn’t included in the archive of his newsgroup posts that are held over on JMSnews.

Your question leads me to believe it isn't in the A&A books either, would that assumption be correct.
  • No, I'm pretty sure it's not. Mainly because I don't recall ever having seen it (it was I who did the first culling of JMS posts for the A&A books). I don't have a searchable copy of the final books, though, and they've been broken down into various subjects so it's not a matter of just looking for the date so I can't be 100% certain.

As has been noted elsewhere, when DougO set up the JMSnews site to archive JMS's posts, lots of people contributed archives that they had to try to make it as complete as possible. Even so, I knew that many from AOL had been missed and thankfully a former moderator had kept some archives that I was able to use for the A&A books (and hopefully we'll be able to get them into the archives at some point). The other side of the coin is that there are quite a number of posts that have been duplicated-some during updates and some because of the different archives added.

Jan
    [quote]No revisionism. Nothing forgotten. No detail spared.[/quote]
    Well almost ; )

I don’t imagine anyone will be concerned about the omission or any others, I only noticed it because of all that research I was doing a couple of years ago, and only remembered it as I’m in the process of rebuilding B5Scrolls after the site was brought down.
  • [QUOTE=Triple-F;189745]Well almost ; )

I don’t imagine anyone will be concerned about the omission or any others, I only noticed it because of all that research I was doing a couple of years ago, and only remembered it as I’m in the process of rebuilding B5Scrolls after the site was brought down.[/QUOTE]
    Find me where it says that every post of JMS's is included...you won't find it. Fewer than a third of JMS's posts were used, and looking at the one you linked to, I doubt if it would have made the cut.

You're welcome to 'blame' me for not including it but I didn't notice you or mojo coming forward when I was looking for post archives.

Jan
    Eh . . . . . .

I only asked the question because I couldn’t check myself.

Why are you bringing up Mojo!?!? Or me for that fact, when it comes to providing quotes. If I recall correctly the whole book project was a secret wasn’t it?

I also didn’t expect the quote books to contain everything jms has ever said. But given the topic discussed I thought it might include the one I highlighted, the design of the fury and jms’s involvement is one of the subjects covered in the books after all, and that reply is pretty unambiguous as to his involvement.

Just out of curiosity, why do think it wouldn’t have made the cut?

As for the advertising blurb saying that every quote is included – true it doesn’t say that. But it also doesn’t say that fewer than a third is included either. Instead it says. (emphasis added by me)
    [quote] This makes Asked & Answered something that has never been done before with a television show: an oral history IN REAL TIME. No revisionism. [B][U]Nothing forgotten.[/U][/B] No detail spared. [/quote]

Does that qualify as false advertising ; ) – joke, lighten up. I wasn’t looking to apportion “blame”. I just wanted to know if the bloody thing was included. ; )
  • I think if you want to discuss this further you should bring it over to [url]http://jmsnews.com/forums/[/url] and either start a thread or PM me there.

Jan
    [QUOTE=JanMSchroeder;189762]I think if you want to discuss this further you should bring it over to [url]http://jmsnews.com/forums/[/url] and either start a thread or PM me there.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks but no thanks (genuinely).

There’s a reason why I asked over here on firstones, even though jmsnews is likely to have the most number of folks with the books. You know yourself that . . . . . how can I put this, I rub up some folks over there the wrong way , with my use of language as well as a few personal viewpoints. I’m basically tired of the pointless running battles than threads sometimes develop into - and a topic such as this is . . . . . . well. ; )

As for PMing. . . . . . Again genuinely, thanks but no thanks.

[QUOTE=JanMSchroeder;189748]Find me where it says that every post of JMS's is included...you won't find it. Fewer than a third of JMS's posts were used, and looking at the one you linked to, I doubt if it would have made the cut.

You're welcome to 'blame' me for not including it but I didn't notice you or mojo coming forward when I was looking for post archives.

[/QUOTE]

It’s not a big deal in the slightest.