Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Hobbit

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    You could try the Audio books...
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The unabridged audiobooks read by Rob Inglis are excellent.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    The Hobbit, read by Rob Inglis:

[I]"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill—The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another. No going upstairs for the hobbit: bedrooms, bathrooms, cellars, pantries (lots of these), wardrobes (he had whole rooms devoted to clothes), kitchens, dining-rooms, all were on the same floor, and indeed on the same passage. The best rooms were all on the left-hand side (going in), for these were the only ones to have windows, deep-set round windows looking over his garden, and meadows beyond, sloping down to the river... Honey? Did I leave the iron on? Oops!"[/I] :D
    If you think that is long winded, you wouldn't like some of the other books I've read.
    I used to be a fanatic of long sentences, filled with commas going on for paragraphs at a time. I hold my English teachers personally responsible for trying to hold me back in my attempts to write even longer ones.

"Detester of Fiction Books" is a bit harsh. That's what I get for voicing a humble opinion?

It's not like there are many opinions floating around this site these days. Next thing I'll be accused of is posting too much.

I'll be hauling gravel the next few days, so you can all breathe easy soon enough. ;)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Hauling gravel sounds like a good punishment for posting opinions to me! :p

You should try reading Peter F Hamilton, he goes into massive detail in his descriptions! I love it tho, it really gives the worlds he creates depth.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I just finished the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. It was excellent. Took a while to get going as he spent half the first book building up the backstory, but once it got going, boy did it get going.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Nights Dawn are my favourite books of all time :)
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Stingray;195610]Believe me, I tried, but I just couldn't get past the long-winded descriptions of the landscape...[/QUOTE]

Well the Hobbit is basically a children's book, at least compared to LOTR...of course you could skip those and go straight to the Silmarillion.

[QUOTE=Stingray;195599]I thought this was a trilogy about hobbits, not dwarves.[/QUOTE]

Well the title in singular, so I wouldn't expect too many hobbits to be in it.

Jake
    Unfortunately I found Silmarillion hard to read. It was fascinating, but I needed to put it down after short periods of time to absorb the massive amount of information disbursed in the course of each sentence. I still need to go back and finish it.
    They have announced the final names and release dates for the remaining two films:

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,' Dec. 14, 2012.
    "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug." Dec. 13, 2013.
    "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," July 18, 2014.
    Ah that's not so bad. I was thinking that we'd have to wait till xmas 2014 for the 3rd part; 7 months isn't quite as bad!
    Trailer 2!

[URL="http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbit/"]Link[/URL]
    If I couldn't wait to see it before, I sure as hell can't wait to see it now! :D
    Excellent!
    Really? Cause after seeing trailer 2 my worst fears seem confirmed, they are not Making the Hobbit, they are making, 'Disney's Bilbo and the 13 Dwarfs'
    At least it will be more entertaining. ;) It's what I have always thought. George Lucas should never have waited so long to make the second trilogy. At least it would have been at least as well done as his first batch.

I'm fairly confident that Peter Jackson will not let us down, at least most of us anyway. :)
    Entil'zha: What do you mean? Seems that the trailer has a lot of scenes strait from the novels.
    Really? I just finished rereading the novel last week, and I don't seem to remember the dwarfs being total buffoons.

I was never really ok with Gimli being comic relief in LOTR, and now they seem to have just ramped that way up for this movie. I'm still looking forward to seeing it, I just found very little appealing in that trailer. (and STILL no Smaug!)
    I wouldn't expect Smaug to appear until the third movie.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Keep in mind that The Hobbit was meant as a children's book.
    I've been quite happy with what the trailers have shown. It's The Hobbit, not Game of Thrones.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE=WORF;195959]I wouldn't expect Smaug to appear until the third movie.[/QUOTE]

What about Smog?
    [QUOTE=Biggles;195963]Keep in mind that The Hobbit was meant as a children's book.[/QUOTE]

I wonder what kind of children JRR could possibly have targeted? The kind you tie to a chair? The kind you have to coerce to eating their vegetables? Did they have ADD back then? I know it was written before we had TVs and XBoxes, but I can't picture anyone of very young age sitting through that narrative, much less reading it. Back then you were not a kid for very long and you had to help your parents work the farm or in the mine or factory.

I think it's just an excuse to justify the chosen style by the author. ;) Still, I very much look forward to the movies, if only to feel like that kid again. :D
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    What I have read of The Hobbit it really does sound like a children's book. And I don't see a problem for children listening to it. So I think you're wrong Stingray. :p
    Hey, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just as impatient to see this trilogy get released to the public as anyone on this forum, except maybe those who think it's not following the contents of the damn book! ;) If I want the book, I read the book! :D
    [QUOTE=Stingray;195971]If I want the book, I read the book! :D[/QUOTE]

So say we all! :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;195969]I wonder what kind of children JRR could possibly have targeted?[/quote]

His son, apparently.

[quote]Back then you were not a kid for very long and you had to help your parents work the farm or in the mine or factory.[/quote]

It was written in the 1930s. I think some progress in childrens' life style had been made by that point, especially amongst the more well-off children such as Tolkien's.
    [QUOTE=Stingray;195969]I wonder what kind of children JRR could possibly have targeted? ... I can't picture anyone of very young age sitting through that narrative, much less reading it.[/QUOTE]

I did.
    Childrens book or not, The Dwarfs were NOT comic relief!