Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

I didn't ask for this.. (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
Playing Deus Ex 3 now, and.. I am impressed. And liking it a lot.

And best of all.. It's not making me sick like pretty much every other FPS has done for the past decade. Yay!

Only just getting closer to finishing the first mission after the prologue, and atleast for me its been quite fun.

Its not like the original Deus Ex, atleast when comparing to the first mission there.. this one is more like typical modern day shooters, but still, atleast it gives the impression of choices. You either sneak and gun, or sneak and sneak. Except when you have to gun.

Like I said, nothing like the first mission on the original Deus Ex. I think I finished that first mission in maybe 3 or 4 different ways?

But maybe it will get more open ended later. But for now, I'm happy to sneak and gun. I take down some enemies nonlethally as well. I'm so nice. And then I shoot their friends in the face.

Anyhoo.. the music is quite nice to listen to. Reminds me a lot about Tron Legacy. Which isnt a bad thing.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    My copy is in the mail and should arrive soon. It's one of the best games of this year and on the short list of releases you should not skip. The original DX is one of my all-time favorites. :) DXIW was ok even though it was not as memorable. DXHR is set to bring the series back on track.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I've not played the previous games, so my question is do I need to do so before playing HR or will it still make enough sense?
    DXHR is actually a prequel, so no, you don't need to play the first two games to understand what is going on.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Good-o! :)
  • I was initially very skeptical of this game. Deus Ex is easily on my top-5 favorite games of all time list...in fact, its the only game I can think of that I still regularly replay.

But the reviews have been good. But what goes for a good shooter nowadays is pretty lackluster.

I dunno.....I may get it when its cheap or something.
    As far as I can tell, the game tries to be realistic, and that might go against the fun factor. You die quite easily in DXHR. Thus, the known rules of engagement apply, like you don't take a knife to a gunfight. ;)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I want it, but since business hasn't been good this year, Can't spend the extra cash, i'll wait to find a used copy in a few months.
    Aye I'll wait for the price to come down first, as I need to save my cash for upgrading my pc again. Need a new mobo, CPU and ram, then next month I might splash out on new graphics cards, with a 3rd monitor sometime after that :)
    I hear you, I'd hate to have to upgrade just for one game. I'll know soon enough. Btw, it's going to be my first game purchase for this year, imagine that.
  • [QUOTE=Stingray;193550]As far as I can tell, the game tries to be realistic, and that might go against the fun factor. You die quite easily in DXHR. Thus, the known rules of engagement apply, like you don't take a knife to a gunfight. ;)[/QUOTE]

The original Deus Ex was like that on realistic difficulty. Like, an NSF chum on the first level could one shot you if he got a head shot in.
    Its more a case of my mobo beginning to die that's driving this upgrade, but so I'm taking the opportunity to push the specs up a good few notches. I can't really complain tho; my current mobo is a good 6 years old, so I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it!

I've pre-ordered Space Marine for next week's release, which I think will be my 3rd game this year so far. The latter part of this year is looking pretty good however, with Batman Arkham City, Assassins Creed Revelations and supposedly SWTOR, tho I wouldnt be surprised if that gets pushed back (again). Rage looks like it might have potential, as well as LoTR War in the North
    Skyrim is another title I look forward to, but I doubt I'll get it this year.

Now that I think of it, Worf could impersonate the protagonist in DXHR quite easily, he looks a lot more like him than the Mass Effect hero. :D
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    4 hours in, still not sick from the FPS... which is great.

Also just got to my apartment to unload some of the junk i had been carrying from the beginning. That sniper rifle for one took a lot of space. Got it with the Augmented Edition, among with other goodies. :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    With how incredibly awesome Deus Ex is and what a load of tripe that thing they attempted to call a sequel is, I was very skeptical about another game. The reviews have all been good, though, so I think that when I upgrade my computer for Skyrim, Deus Ex will go in as well.
    Invisible War was not that bad, it was not as good as the original for sure, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I hope to have DXHR in my hands within the next 48 hours and I hope I will be able to play it on my current hardware, which is not guaranteed, since I have had issues with my SLI configuration in the past.
  • Loved every minute of DXHR. I only played half of the first DX and that was only last year after a steam sale. I see the appeal and would've loved it 10 years ago, but it has not aged gracefully to someone that hadn't played it then. The writing is still tight though.
  • The only issue with Deus Ex, I can see in a modern sense, would be:

the graphics. It was the original Unreal engine, which was already two years old at that time. And it didn't even use the full potential of the engine either (there were texture mods that were 8x as large as the stock textures....same engine!)

The stealth. Its easy to cheat the AI into thinking you are vanished. If you raise the alarm, run into an air duct and remain there for 2 minutes...the AI will completely forget you exist and walk away.

But everything else is friggen top notch. I'm not a big fan of stories in games (rather, I don't care about stories) but man, Deus Ex has the best game story ever. The gameplay is killer, aside from the easy to fool AI...it has so much going for it.

Also note I didn't play it at launch...I didn't get the game until 2003/2004, it was already pretty old by that time as far as PC games go (it was bargain bin even then). And I was still impressed.
    [QUOTE=rcmodels;193598]Loved every minute of DXHR. I only played half of the first DX and that was only last year after a steam sale. I see the appeal and would've loved it 10 years ago, but it has not aged gracefully to someone that hadn't played it then. The writing is still tight though.[/QUOTE]

You should try to finish it. The story is awesome right to the end.
    Another title I'm looking forward to is the Jagged Alliance remake in glorious 3D. They took their bloody time to make it but I'm almost certain it won't disappoint.
    [QUOTE=Stingray;193545]My copy is in the mail and should arrive soon.[/QUOTE]

I probably should stop making predictions altogether... my copy still hasn't arrived yet, so I guess it got lost in the mail. :( KKKHHHAAAANNNNN!!!!
    At last, the order arrived today. What the hell did they ship it with, the Titanic? :(

Anyway, gonna check it out soon. :)
    I'll either invest in it next month or wait till it's in the sales as I'm going to have to start putting money aside for some new hardware for my pc now.
    [QUOTE=Stingray;193705]At last, the order arrived today. What the hell did they ship it with, the Titanic? :([/QUOTE]

If it were the Titanic, it would never have made it. It probably came via trireme, to make sure it stayed safe.
    I actually had to look up [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trireme"]trireme[/URL]... :D

Funny thing is, I ordered something from the same site a week later and that package came before DX. You'd think shipping would work on fixed routes, but it's more like internet package traffic. Whoever ships at lower cost wins.

Anyway, just got time to install it and do a brief test run. It still appears to be running fine on my crate. So no need to upgrade to enjoy it in lower resolution and no AA. :) Business as usual.