Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Terra Nova

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
Anyone else watching this?

I caught the pilot this afternoon, and despite expecting the worst, I actually rather enjoyed it! OK the premise is a little sketchy in places (the whole time-streams thing is rather convenient, tho no more so than any other scifi plot device I guess. Maybe if they'd just said 'alternate reality'?), but I still found it very entertaining, which is a lot more than I can say about most other shows out there right now.

Comments

• Hmh, is the CGI bad? That's the impression I got from the trailer.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I thought it was alright actually. It wasn't quite Jurassic Park, but I've seen worse in feature films
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    If its better than that naff Lost World series then I might have a look. Isn't one of the cast that bad ass commander from Avatar?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah he is, and I kept expecting him to "You ain't in Kansas anymore, you're on Pandora!" :D

I'm looking forward to the next episode, and then I think we'll start to get an idea of what it's really going to be like. Given how horrendous some pilot episodes can be, I dont think it's fair to judge potential based on them. That said, I think they filmed the whole season in one go, so hopefully the fact I already like it is a good sign
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I thought it was OK, but the first half of the pilot really dragged.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    It wasn't half bad. I'll give it a season, before I make up my mind. (if FOX doesn't Firefly it before then...)
  • I think it was rather good for the pilot. However, storywise it will probably follow too much Lost.

Mild spoilers ahead:

A mystery element, two rogue "teams" in an environment filled with hostile beings clashing each other.
    Probably somewhere in the story one of the important characters will turn sides, learns something about the mystery element and whole thing goes upside down again.

If it ever gets continued, it will be interesting probably for 2 seasons max. I find it hard to make it interesting if they are to remain in this lost world.

What comes to CGI, I would have hoped that they had invested few more bucks for the first introduction of the dinosaurs.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I read somewhere it won't get a second season. Not enough people tuned in. :(

I didn't even watch the pilot yet...
    I would be rather disappointed if it wasn't picked up. There's very little tv worth investing in any more as it's either shite or cancelled. It'd be nice if this one lasts

Anyway, only the pilot has aired so there's still time
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Still, makes a change to see some Dinosaurs. Getting fed up with Robots and Spaceships anyway :P
  • I watched it the old fashioned way – with commercials – on the first broadcast day.
    I didn't think it was "high theater" but it was good entertainment. I actually liked the time stream concept. I also thought they opened the door for more intrigue and interest. I was really worried it was going to be nothing but survivor humans getting munched by dinosaurs with a beat me over the head (more than it was) eco theme.
    I'm glad it's not a Lost clone, as I really got fed up and (pardon the pun) lost interest in it pretty early on. It was an interesting and absorbing concept, quickly spoiled by the writers and producers not knowing where to go with it IMHO
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    If Lost had been half the length, I probably would have made it to the end.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Wasn't too bad at all. I know some of the guys who worked on the CG.

A lot better than some crap that has been put on the air.
    By some strange twist of fate, my hotel had this and I actually got to watch it. It was entertaining, but nothing spectacular. But few pilots are.

I don't like the "mystery!" thing, though. With the end of the pilot, I finally figured out what it is that so many programmes have done wrong recently. Go back and watch B5 from the start again. It starts out appearing to generally be another episodic programme with a little bit of background in it, but as the first season progresses, enough odd things have happened that you start to think that maybe there's more going on than you thought, and by the end you know that yes, there's more going on than you thought, all those odd things are connected, and you have already started to get answers pretty quickly.

On the other hand, watch something like Lost or this. In the pilot episode and subsequent episodes, you can feel the writers shouting "Look! We've got mystery! Watch more episodes!" at you. It's as if they're throwing mystery at the viewers and hoping it makes some of them stick.

It sucks. It just makes me think "wow, this is really frustrating to watch," because there's more concentration on MYSTERY! than on story, and story-driven character development.

Of recent programmes, I think only Fringe got it right, with the very subtle and slow realisation that things were connected and to what. The mystery took a back seat to the story.
    Thats a good point Biggles. I was thinking something similar actually, but you put it much better. Theres no natural evolution in any of the plots any more, it's just forced growth towards plot points
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    That is why I eventually stopped watching LOST. While there were interesting character development as result of the flashbacks it seemed like nothing was actually happening.
    Well, last night's episode was certainly interesting. Nothing overall plot-worthy, but was a somewhat decent character building/introduction episode.
    Can anyone say dinosaur of the week? :)

But yeah, a good bit of character development.

I wonder if they can keep up this amount of CGI and make the show profitable.
    Dam, I missed it... any replay times this week?
    [QUOTE=JackN;193868]Dam, I missed it... any replay times this week?[/QUOTE]
    Hulu is on an 8 day delay, so you'll have to find other means to watch it, if you don't have hulu plus.
    Ergo, if you miss one you are screwed, so you don't watch it next week. Don't you love networks that delay a show on Hulu to the point they loose viewers because those that missed a show by accident can't catch up with the plot?
    Not a bad 2nd episode. There's the beginnings of some good character development, and while the plot wasn't advanced particularly it was still a fairly entertaining beginner

I wouldnt mind dinosaur of the week actually, as long as it doesn't get too excessive. Theres plenty of scope to get some interesting stories from it for a while, and plenty of gaps in the fossil record to let the writers have some fun.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    JackN: I could swear I saw your avatar blink... wtf.
    heh... It always wins a Stare down contest... ;)
  • JPG's doesn't blink...
    Third episode was a re-hash of a re-hashed plot, but was still a decent character building ep. Though the ending makes me wonder how far this is gonna go. Spoiler: Ya know, with the boy stealing supplies for the Sixers...
    Well, 3rd episode makes me rather pissed at Fox, and the reason why I find Fox such a horrible channel.

3rd episode, and they delay it by almost an hour for a baseball game...that was not even planned to be broadcast on the channel in the first place. I don't know exactly how long they delayed it by, because I was doing other stuff and only was checking every 15 minutes or so. It was already going when I tuned in at about 9pm, though it seemed pretty close to the start.

Great way to lose viewers on a new show, Fox.
    Isn't that Fox's standard operating procedure?

It makes you wonder if the stories about Fox buying up new scifi shows just so their rivals can't get them are true.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Based on what I've seen regarding Fox news networks, they kind of lean towards the far side of the spectrum.. Meaning that they seem to be those people that are kinda religious type.

I guess that science fiction to them is horrible curse against the face of their god. So they want to kill it before it gives any people any ideas. Science and fiction. :P