Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

RIP: Steve Jobs dies at 56

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/05/us/obit-steve-jobs/index.html?iref=BN1&hpt=hp_t1[/url]

[quote]Steve Jobs, the visionary in the black turtleneck who co-founded Apple in a Silicon Valley garage, built it into the world's leading tech company and led a mobile-computing revolution with wildly popular devices such as the iPhone, died Wednesday. He was 56.[/quote]

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I've never been an 'apple Guy. But growing up in the 70s and 80s. I got to watch Apples rise, fall and rebirth. None of it would have been possible without Jobs. Not only was he a visionary, but a true showman. Apples'products were not always the first to do what they did, or the best at doing what they did. But Jobs the showman could convince you of both! I swear that man could sell ice to an Eskimo. He will be missed.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    As I said on Twitter:

[QUOTE]"Regardless of whether you like Apple products or not, it's hard to deny that Steve Jobs had a big impact on the world of computing."[/QUOTE]
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    As I didn't say on Twitter, Facebook or other social network time sink:

[QUOTE]Thank you for everything Steve Jobs, you will be missed. Apple still sucks, but you changed our lives forever. Love the iPhone, it's an awful phone, but a sweet pocket computer. Two out of three ain't bad. ;)[/QUOTE]
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    The iron grip on their devices was the reason their products were so excellent unfortunately. Anyway, its hard to deny his impact as was said, especially on the aesthetics of computer hardware. Im looking at a HP computer screen right now that has a lot of the typical "apple characteristics".

R.I.P. Steve, hope you slipped away in the night and without pain.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Very sad news :(

The first Apple product owned was the original iPod, which was pretty nifty, but when it broke about a week out of warranty and I couldn't get it fixed for much less than using a new one I was less than impressed and refused to buy Apple again. It took till 2008 and the iPhone to change my mind again, now with the iPad I couldn't imagine myself without either.

RIP Steve Jobs

Sent from my iPad
    From Random
  • iSad
    The iGod is dead, long live the iGod.

His legacy will live on. :)
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I suspect, looking back through the lens of history, that Jobs will end in up a the level of Eli Whitney and Henry Ford.

Jake
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Given that Apple have recently had more cash than the entire US government, I'd say that pretty well puts him up there with those other titans of industry
  • I like him less for the recent iStuff and more for the actual Mac, the Apple IIe, and for probably his greatest accomplishment....Pixar. People seem to forget about that last one.
    Speaking of the iStuff, the media still keep referring to the iPhone 5 as the next phone to come out. What they keep forgetting is that Apple has partners and those need time to prepare, so the odds are high that the next phone will be the iPhone 4GS and not the iPhone 5. :D

Truth be told, Steve Jobs has had a remarkable run, even in his struggle with his pancreatic cancer, which he battled for 7 years when the average is 20 months for most patients, a disease 44000 people contract in the US every year and of which only about 16% survive or live through the cure. He's had a long extension and we got a lot out of those precious years, so I guess we should be grateful for that fact alone. :)
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Well you all know me as a big Mac head. While its something all Apple fans knew was coming but didn't want to admit, its still come as a shock. It was a rather surreal and ironic moment thursday morning when I found out he'd passed. I got on my normal train to work, sat down and checked my emails on my iPhone 4, something I do everyday. And there was an email from Macworld announcing he'd died. I was stunned. It was then the thought flashed through my mind I was reading this on a product he so heavily influenced. One of those moments.

It really is remarkable the influence he has had on computing. He brought together so many amazing people and brought out the best in them. When you looked at how he's negotiated with the music and movie industry, you really have to hand it to him. Boy I would have loved to been a fly on the wall in those meetings watching him work his magic.

I always loved watching his keynote speeches especially when they were live. Yes some will criticise his for his so called reality distortion field but the guy was a real on stage performer. He had a fantastic stage presence. When he spoke everyone listened. I'm really going to miss those keynotes of his.

His death is a huge blow to Apple and the IT world. But he will be remembered for his achievements and for his ability to fight despite adversity. A truly unique individual who has left a wonderful legacy.
    It's interesting to see the various degrees of reactions on the web. Not everyone appreciated and respected his work equally.

But then people are people. ;)
    Well, as I said on Facebook in response to an article called "He brought creativity":

[quote=me]It was exactly creativity he [b]didnt[/b] bring. Sure, the man himself had loads of creativity, but the user never got to have any[/quote]
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I created a comic on my iPad, which is now for sale :)
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Yeah, the hate for a dead man is pretty strange to be honest. Did I like everything Apple did? no.

I was kinda surprised I had to learn about his death from the web though. I really think my iPhone should have told me...

that is all, Ill go to hell now.
    [QUOTE=SpiritOne;193910]that is all, Ill go to hell now.[/QUOTE]

What, you weren't going there already? :p
    [QUOTE=SpiritOne;193910]Yeah, the hate for a dead man is pretty strange to be honest. Did I like everything Apple did? no.

I was kinda surprised I had to learn about his death from the web though. I really think my iPhone should have told me...

that is all, Ill go to hell now.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I havent seen that much hate really. But on the other hand, I havent really been looking..
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [url]http://gawker.com/5847344/what-everyone-is-too-polite-to-say-about-steve-jobs[/url]

Yeaaah... I'll just leave this here. And nope, not a fan of jobs or apple products. :)
    I was just about to link to that! I knew he wasn't a saint, but some of that is a little disturbing quite frankly.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    What makes it more funny, is that even Bill Gates seems to be the better person.. :P

Even though he is generally the one vilified in everything.
    Interesting Article, But to anyone who's followed apple over the years it's nothing new. Thats why I always say that I like some Apple Products, but I hate the company Apple.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Apple is the same as any other large company.
    I get the impression though that Microsoft could have benefited from his approach, because it sure took them long enough to make anything really as stable and nice. As Jobs said, Microsoft wasn't even trying.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE=Stingray;193924]I get the impression though that Microsoft could have benefited from his approach, because it sure took them long enough to make anything really as stable and nice. As Jobs said, Microsoft wasn't even trying.[/QUOTE]
    In their defense, it's pretty hard to make a stable operating system, for such a wide hardware market. Apple only has to support a specific hardware standard, and nothing else.
    In honor of both Steve Jobs, and Vertigo1's comment about specific hardware... I'm typing this to you on a Dell Mini 10v running OSX 10.6.7. I love Hackintosh...
    [IMG]From Random[/IMG]

From Random
    [QUOTE=Vertigo1;193927]In their defense, it's pretty hard to make a stable operating system, for such a wide hardware market. Apple only has to support a specific hardware standard, and nothing else.[/QUOTE]

You can't be serious! :cool: A series of OS releases riddled with security holes, it must be the drivers. Yeah, right. ;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Microsoft is a victim of their own success. Because they built such a large user base, they became unwilling to cut it off in new versions, the way Apple is. This appears to have got so embedded into their culture that now they are not even willing to use technology that makes a complete fresh start possible, despite it having been proven to work years ago. Everything else can be traced back to a combination of this and a lack of caring for the user experience.