Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

North Korea, Dawn of a New Age?

I guess now is as good a time to learn something about North Korea as any. There are plenty of countries around the world I know almost nothing about. The newly minted dictator has to shoulder huge responsiblities at such a young age. I bought Tropico 3 a few weeks ago, a game that let's you play dictator. It must be something else if you wake up one day and you are in charge.

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    "I'm so wonewee..."

Too soon? :p
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Same shit, different name. I doubt anything will change. The people will continue suffering.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;194461]I guess now is as good a time to learn something about North Korea as any. There are plenty of countries around the world I know almost nothing about.[/QUOTE]

In the case of North Korea, you and nearly 7 billion other people...

I agree with Curz. Although I'd like to think things would change for the people of North Korea now, I don't think they will. Kim may have been the top man but he had plenty of equally-evil people just below him who are still there.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Dawn of a new Rage is more like it... :(
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    It sure doesn't look like an uprising is going to happen anytime soon. It's like the rest of the world is watching a train wreck and nobody is willing/able to do anything about it. They might as well be living on the far side of the moon.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    It's more than likely things will just continue as normal. But there is a small, ever so small hope that Jong-Un will take a more direct approach to the sunshine policy and unification of Korea. Only time will tell. Like most of his siblings, he is no doubt more worldly wise than his father and less stubborn. But because he chose to accept the 'position', he will be pressured by those that serve him to conform to the old ways.

Ofcourse, worst case scenario, Jong-Un will either lose control of the military and/or lose power that could lead to an 'unstable element' being inserted into the mix. The reprocussions of such could spell doom for Korea's future.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Living this close to the mess, I often wish it would all just be over, one way or another. But the short- and medium-term consequences of anything but the status quo for the countries outside NK are nothing but bad. Even worse is that the short- and medium-term consequences of anything including the status quo are bad for the people in NK. Ordinarily, I lean towards "they need to fix their own problems" side of things, but in this case, they can't, and their problems are pretty much our problems.

NK is a great example of a no-win situation.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    You'd think it's similar to the situation of East and West Germany, but I guess it's not that simple.

According to the [URL="https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/kn.html"]CIA world factbook[/URL], over half of the population is in the military. That would explain why an uprising is unlikely.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    :(

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/kim-son-called-supreme-leader-nkorea-military-192655376.html[/url]