Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

PAX East

Anyone else going? I got a 3 day pass. Would totally be down to meet up with some folks!

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Would love to go, but between paying off debts and saving for a holiday and iPad 3 I'm gonna be broke for a good few months :(
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Let me try this Jedi trick on SD... "This is not the tablet you are looking for!"

I'm currently investigating an [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbYi1qBXaL0"]iPad alternative[/URL] running Android. I like my iPhone but I can't justify the purchase price of an iPad.

And no, I'm not going to PAX East, whatever that is. ;)
  • There is only one iPad alternative IMHO, and that's the ASUS Transformer. Price point + features it's unbeatable as far as I'm concerned.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Even if I was considering an Android alternative to the iPad, it would make little sense to get one. The number of paid for apps I have acquired for it over the last two years means that the cost of replacing them all (if possible) would run to a significant fraction of the difference in cost between an iPad and another tablet.

Besides which, while I don't do anything on my iPad that I couldn't do on an Android tablet, I actually rather dislike the Android user interface and experience. I may still yet buy an Android tablet, but it will be in addition to my iPad and purely for the fun of playing with it

And I still won't be going to PAX I'm afraid ;)
    [QUOTE=A2597;194834]There is only one iPad alternative IMHO, and that's the ASUS Transformer. Price point + features it's unbeatable as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

If money were no issue, I'd agree with you, but the Transformer isn't exactly much cheaper than the iPad. The problem with the Zenithink is to find an online store which isn't trying to rip you off. :(

[QUOTE=ShadowDancer;194835]Even if I was considering an Android alternative to the iPad, it would make little sense to get one. The number of paid for apps I have acquired for it over the last two years means that the cost of replacing them all (if possible) would run to a significant fraction of the difference in cost between an iPad and another tablet.[/QUOTE]

I can understand that, with an iPad you don't need to buy your apps again. I haven't purchased many apps that cost money on my iPhone, and I don't plan on buying much on "Android store" (not sure what it's called) either. I'm just trying to combine a inexpensive tablet and a way to get a good look at Android without getting yet another smartphone which I don't need.

Still not going to PAX East.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    If you get an Android, be sure to use Ubuntu Linux on it, instead of google spyware OS... :p
    Yeah, I know what you mean, big brOOther is watching us. ;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;194832]

I'm currently investigating an [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbYi1qBXaL0"]iPad alternative[/URL] running Android. I like my iPhone but I can't justify the purchase price of an iPad.[/quote]

I love the fake Android 3 user interface spliced into the Android 2 user interface. That's pure awesome. :D

[quote]And no, I'm not going to PAX East, whatever that is. ;)[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, it's somewhere to the east of PAX West.

[QUOTE=A2597;194834]There is only one iPad alternative IMHO, and that's the ASUS Transformer. Price point + features it's unbeatable as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

I got a look at the Transformer Prime in the shop the other day. It's a beautiful piece of hardware, and easily the best tablet available. Still, I wouldn't buy one now (even if I could afford it), not with the 1920x1080 resolution 10" screen version due in May.

[QUOTE=ShadowDancer;194835]Even if I was considering an Android alternative to the iPad, it would make little sense to get one. The number of paid for apps I have acquired for it over the last two years means that the cost of replacing them all (if possible) would run to a significant fraction of the difference in cost between an iPad and another tablet.[/quote]

Isn't it nice to be locked into a single company's line of products forever, unless you're willing to pay a huge cost to get out? At least with Android you get a whole pile of companies to choose from, even if half of them are producing crap products. :p
    [QUOTE=Biggles;194845]Isn't it nice to be locked into a single company's line of products forever, unless you're willing to pay a huge cost to get out? At least with Android you get a whole pile of companies to choose from, even if half of them are producing crap products. :p[/QUOTE]

On one level it does indeed suck to be locked in to Apple, but again, for what I use my iPhone and iPad for I prefer the user experience they offer. None of the platforms are perfect, but I find Apple's flaws easier to live with.

Incidentally, as far as paid apps go, I can't think of more than 4 or 5 that I've bought in the last 6 months. Most of the apps I've installed recently have been free utilities like banking and reference, with just a couple of photo editing ones for when I'm away from home. I think I've reached the plateau where I've got all the functionality I want. I've pretty much stopped playing games on my phone or iPad these days, as unless I'm stuck on a train or bus I find I don't have the time or inclination to play the sorts of games you get on them. If I went to an android tablet or phone tomorrow, I doubt I'd buy more than two or three period
    [QUOTE=Biggles;194845]I love the fake Android 3 user interface spliced into the Android 2 user interface. That's pure awesome. :D[/QUOTE]

After some further consideration, the decision was taken not to order this tablet after all. The specs aren't much to write home about. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Besides this year will bring new and better tablets and prices of the current generation will drop considerably, so it may become interesting to make a purchase of a known brand from a trusted reseller then.

[QUOTE]As I understand it, it's somewhere to the east of PAX West.[/QUOTE]

My gosh, Biggles is [I]Captain Obvious!!![/I] Quick, hide underneath a desk!!

[QUOTE]I got a look at the Transformer Prime in the shop the other day. It's a beautiful piece of hardware, and easily the best tablet available. Still, I wouldn't buy one now (even if I could afford it), not with the 1920x1080 resolution 10" screen version due in May.[/QUOTE]

Sounds great. As I mentioned, I have waited this long, I can wait a little longer to get a tablet.

[QUOTE]Isn't it nice to be locked into a single company's line of products forever, unless you're willing to pay a huge cost to get out? At least with Android you get a whole pile of companies to choose from, even if half of them are producing crap products. :p[/QUOTE]

You say that as if being married was a bad thing. :D That's why I haven't purchased much yet on iTunes, because I am not sure I will stick with it until death does us part eventually.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Bought myself Motorola Xoom 2, media edition. Finally. After thinking about getting a tablet for.. a year? :P

Should be arriving shortly.

I was thinking of getting an asus tab too, before. But then I found out how fucked up their customer service is and I decided never ever to get a single Asus product anymore.

that's why my current laptop is an MSI one, and couldnt be happier. :)

Basically, my list of trusted technology manufacturers is getting smaller year by year.. Not having anything to do with Sony, IBM/Lenovo, HP or Asus atleast.

I've still got left Acer, MSI, Samsung, Motorola and LG atleast. :)
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    Reading this on an Acer A500. No complaints, has great battery life. I don't ask a whole lot from it except surfing and general tasks, and it works fine for that. Good price, too.
    I'm glad you are all happy running top of the line tablets... but that's not really the point of the exercise here. :D

If money were no issue, we wouldn't be looking for more affordable alternatives than the iPad or its Android brethren. ;)

I'm sure the Acer and Motorola are a pleasure to use, but you can get a decent laptop for that price point.
    [QUOTE=rcmodels;194829]Anyone else going? I got a 3 day pass. Would totally be down to meet up with some folks![/QUOTE]

I now know what PAX East is, it's what E3 used to be. It's where all those nerds hang out you see on Big Bang Theory, minus the PhD's. :D

Apparently they only sold 200 of those 3 day passes and pissed a bunch of people off because those passes were sold out before anyone knew what and who was going to be there. Talk about nerd rage. ;)

So, no, I'm definitely not going.
  • Not really sure where you heard that, those passes were available for months... 60,000 people go :p
    I got that from someone who didn't get a 3 day pass. :D

Anyway, have fun!! :)