Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Linking BSG to Alien

WORFWORF The Burninator
So I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about Prometheus and how that takes place in the same universe as Alien.

We then moved on to Avatar, even though no obvious references were made, the look of the ships, the technology (cryo tubes for example) and the marines having very similar equipment to the Colonial Marines make it seem very likely to be in the same setting as well.

Which then got us talking about Blade Runner. Could this also take place in the same universe (but much earlier of course). The Tyrell corporation is a rival to Weyland Industries, building synthetic people etc.

And if that's true, there's the theory suggested by Edward James Olmos that Blade Runner shows what happens to Earth after the BSG finale.

Does the connection need to be made? Probably not but it is interesting to think about.

Thoughts?

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Direct links? It seems pretty unlikely, especially in the case of Blade Runner (the original novel having been written many decades ago).

The ideas, on the other hand, could easily be related, because they're abstract. :)
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    interesting concept. I can certainly see the concept of Blade Runner being in a similar universe to Alien.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I don't think I ever posted my theory here that Avatar took place in the BSG universe. Basically, Pandora was settled by the Rebel Baseship. The planetary network was an evolution of the computer connections in the Cylon Resin, and the Unobtanium was either that or tylium. The Na'vi were second-generation humanoid models, designed from scratch using design elements from the humans, the centurions, and the native life.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    That could tie in to the theory I posted above nicely as well.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    And do not forget that Alien is the precursor of the Asimov robot series, which itself precedes Foundation.

After all, the robot in Aliens says he is bound by one of the three laws.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I actually saw Prometheus a couple weeks ago, and I really liked it. I really liked how not everything was answered, that there were things left up to your own imagination and interpretation.
    And I'm not sure if anyone will get what I'm saying, but did anyone else think of Dream's helmet from Sandman when they saw the helmets the big guys had? By the way, Dream's helmet was also the inspiration for the helmets the Gaim wear on B5.

Oh yeah, and on Asimov, I loved the Foundation Trilogy and I, Robot, but what the hell happened to make him write the horrible Foundation books later? Foundation and Earth is one of my most hated books, mostly because the original trilogy was so good, then we get this crap.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I also liked Prometheus. And am proud to admit it. Mostly for David the android.

There were some stuff that could've been done otherwise, but I did like most of the cast. I am looking forward to getting this on DVD, and also hoping that there will be a sequel.. If only to see the Further Zany Adventures of David the Headless Android (also featuring Dr. Shaw).

Ditto on the Dream of the Endless helmets. So that's where he got it.. :P
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    One of the things I liked was when there was that mysterious lifesign, the two guys trapped in the spooky mansion/temple/alien storage facility walked the hell away from there.

Sadly, the other decisions they made after that were kinda crappy.

Did like the chaos and terror with the vagina dentata/penis cobra scene tho.