Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The A.V. Club reviews Babylon 5

2»

Comments

• Triple-FTriple-F Earthforce Officer
    A little known fact is that Babylon 5 was given a guaranteed 22 episode run (it couldn’t be cancelled during the first season), it was part of the deal with the stations signing on to PTEN. After a meeting with Warner Bros., Doug Netter walked in and told Michael O’Hare that he was being let go. As reviewers had said he was a bad actor and the show was too talky and slow. (And that comes from someone who was there ; )

That’s why much of the original arc was thrown out, along with O’Hare who was to be replaced by a known actor. Bruce Boxleitner was literally a last minute choice as no one else who was offered, wanted the job. It’s also why the action started to rack up in season 2 and Straczynski wrote all the episodes – he had to, as all the earlier writers bibles whent out the window, and the show went in a very different direction from what was originally planned.

But I know that’s an unpopular truth for some fans – though I’ve no idea why as it demonstrates just how commited and good a writer Straczynski is.
  • JMS has always talked about a "meeting" with Michael O'Hare where he was let go, but has never stated what happened in that meeting. As far as I know, that's the official story as of right now.
  • Yeah, in the script books he still refuses to discuss it. Pretty much says it's no one's business but his and O'Hare's. JMS says that it's true that O'Hare wanted to go back to theater, the studio wanted a bigger name actor, and JMS himself felt that what he had planned was too much for a single character to handle (which really is true. Then again, people joke about John "Space Jesus" Sheridan, which is also true), but pretty much refuses to say any more. They obviously left on good terms though, since O'Hare had that last scene recorded before the second season, which is the "Hello old friend" message in The Coming of Shadows, and of course, Sinclair got to have a great end to his character in War Without End.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Good news, everyone! Season 2 reviews started today! [url]http://www.avclub.com/articles/points-of-departurerevelations,93241/[/url]
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Just a heads up, season 2 reviews have been going up. Love their take on things. :)
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Well, after a hiatus after "Z'ha'dum," the reviews resumed on an accelerated schedule to tie up the rest of the show. The SIL review went up earlier today, so it's time to say goodbye again. http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/babylon-5-sleeping-light-209159
  • Someone posted this in the comments section: http://imgur.com/a/NcOGr

I don't think I have ever seen that before in its entirety.

I haven't seen this episode in 8 years, and I still tear up even thinking about it. Reading the review didn't help. Good way to spend a Friday evening.
  • I thought it was great of them to put the guys behind the scenes in like that.