Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Neptune

Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
Finally made out Neptune with my telescope! Tiny little planet - barely indistinguishable from a star at 82x, had to push up to 195x before I could positively verify it was a disk and not a point, and conditions weren't great tonight - a lot of haloing above 100x due to moisture in the upper atmosphere.

Now I only have Mercury and Pluto to see.

Been trying to get Mercury a couple times over the past year, every time it is far from the sun and up right around sunrise / sunset. Two times ago, I tried at sunset - it never made it high enough to get above the trees. Last time I tried at sunrise but there were clouds along the horizon blocking it's view.

Pluto is another challenge. Got to wait for just the right conditions so that I can put up really high power lenses, 200x+ without any haze.

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    What did you see when you looked up Uranus? :p
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Actually, I saw Uranus about a year ago. It is substantially easier to see than Neptune.

Plus with the furthest planets, you can't see them when the moon is up, meaning you have to wait for both perfect conditions, atmospherically, plus no moon, making the chances to see Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto few and far between.

Luckily I can't see Uranus as often as the inner planets :p
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    No need to look for Pluto, it's not considered a planet anymore. :)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;195850]What did you see when you looked up Uranus? :p[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Random Chaos;195851]Actually, I saw Uranus about a year ago. It is substantially easier to see than Neptune.
    Luckily I can't see Uranus as often as the inner planets :p[/QUOTE]

Would you guys stop talking dirty to each other... :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [quote]Professor Farnsworth: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.
    Fry: Oh. So what is Uranus called now?
    Professor Farnsworth: Urectum.[/quote]