Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

For the Wing Commander fans

Comments

• croxis and I have had discussions on the subject of scale....specifically the 5 mile metric.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    The game will need good music too, Seafroggys, so, who knows, maybe they'll include a native music store as well. ;) Space and choirs fit well together.

Whoohoo,$800,000 reached in 5 days with 8,675 people pitching in. :)
    [QUOTE]Chris Roberts:
    “Hey guys. Love this thread. It was one of the things that excited me about building a game with the community.
    It’s probably a little early to do this / promise it, but I would be willing to release an example spaceship asset (much like CryEngine SDK has sample assets) in maybe 6 months or so for people to see how the ships are constructed in Star Citizen.
    Until then if you build a ship, aim for 200-400,000 polygons including the interior cockpit and model it to a real world scale (i.e. human pilot is approximately 1.8m tall). For the Prototype assets they were all finalized in 3DS Max (As it integrates better into CryEngine’s workflow, but the early passes were done in a variety of packages – Maya, Lightwave and Modo) scaled at either 1 unit = 1cm or 1 unit = 1m (depending on the size of the ship) . The other thing to note is that the ships are all broken into logical sub objects. Its not one big mesh, but rather 100s of objects that can break off or animate (so for instance just the right wing landing gear on the Hornet is broken down into 5 parts that all move / animate to achieve the correct looking animation).”

Hope that helps :)[/QUOTE]

As I expected, the bar will be set quite high for those wanting to contribute 3D assets. I guess it will be a learning experience as well.

$950,000+ in 8 days from over 10,700 fans. :)
  • Like everyone else is saying this requires major computer upgrades. My old 8 year old opteron 185 won't cut it. This has actually motivated me to start putting together a major workstation gamer system. 6 cores, 64 gigs, extreme system i am thinking. So far with cash i got a Raven 03 case, dvd drive , led spotlights, cooling conduit, ssd boot drive. I guess i am excited. Next buy will probably be the power supply. What is a good joystick , throttle combo now?
    [QUOTE=PSI-KILLER;196310]led spotlights[/QUOTE]

Those lights will make all the difference. :D The first thing I disabled on my XPS laptop system were those damn lights.

My olde Fox II didn't get much use all these years... I'm not ready to upgrade yet.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    up over a million now :)
    They broke down and started a [URL="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen"]Kickstarter[/URL] as well. I guess it was the smart thing to do.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Considering that other games on Kickstarter by well-known developers have managed a million dollars in under a day, it seems like a smart move.
    And they are up over 100k on kickstarter already.
    Very smart move indeed, approaching $300K. :cool: Wow!
    Looks like barring any world ending disasters, they should meet their minimum 2,000,000 goal by next week!

Pretty amazing when you think about it.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Combining their own site and kickstarter, Star Citizen is up to $1,728,296 :D
    $1,314,205 + $484,209 = $1,798,414. Just a little over $200K to go and this baby should be well on its way. :cool:

There is nothing quite like the excitement at the beginning of a project of this magnitude. :)
    Followed by the Dissapointment when it doesn't live up to expectations, hahahah. although hopefully not in this case
    $138,809 to go! They have already exceeded their kickstarted goal!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I wish payday would hurry up and get here so I can donate :(
    I think it is safe to say that not all features will make it into the game, at least not immediately and that they need to focus on making a product that can be expanded. Right now people are tossing ideas around and there are the usual factions that are going to get onto each other's throat. It's going to be a PC game, so all the console gamers are pissed. It may or may not be limited to the Windows platform, so all the Linux fanboys are all up in arms. I don't think it's reasonable to try to please everybody at this time. As far as I understand it, only a handful or so people will work full-time on this game for a couple years and depending on how things go, you will be able to get involved in the alpha and the beta of the game and so get a chance to contribute.

One thing that I like a lot is the amount of customization that the game is supposed to allow. Anything from the ship name, color, shape and configuration would be a nice touch and in the realm of what is very manageable. Now people talk about modding and creating their own ships from the ground up, which is something that is another pair of shoes entirely. As far as I know, intellectual property is still something to worry about so I doubt you will be able to get existing and trademarked ship designs into a game like this that everyone can use. So flying a Viper or Starfury, a BattleStar or Omega is probably not going to happen, unless it runs on a private server.

I haven't pledged any money either, I was waiting to see how it was going to evolve first. I do have bills to pay too, so I have to go sparingly on my entertainment budget, which has shrunk to the bare minimum...
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Looking forward to this one, last great space combat sims I played was Independence War 2 and Starlancer (Freelancer sucked). And that is..10 years ago? :| Kinda lost interest in gaming...
    [QUOTE=Mundane;196355]Kinda lost interest in gaming...[/QUOTE]

Kinda comes with growing up. :D I mean, your interests will shift and there is only so much time in the day to get all those important things done.

I try do it like Londo. :csmile: Taking time to do also things that are not that important. :D
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I still love gaming, I just don't have a lot of time for it these days so I have to pick my games a little more carefully now
  • To be honest, my time is probably about the same now than it was when I was in high school. High school was about 7 hours a day, a little less maybe, so 34 hours per week? Plus all the homework and extra curricular activities....even the commute was longer since I rode the bus. So it adds up to about the same as a 40 hour work week.

Just no summer, christmas, or spring breaks anymore.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Hijacking this thread for a second.. but seen this?

[url]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43153532/strike-suit-zero[/url]

Robot suits, space battles etc.. And looks like it'll be ready a bit before. ;)
    $1,444,675 + $602,696 = $2,047,371!! :D

Carry on. ;)
    Excellent result!
    Yep, they are now officially funded!
  • Just snagged a 27.5" 1920 x 1200 monitor. I am getting ready for this game when it comes out in 2-3 years. :p
    I've pledged now as well, I'll upgrade later. ;) I went all digital. We are after all working towards the future, if I want to look at the star map, I'll do so on the tablet PC I'll hopefully have by then. :D
    Got paid today so pledged also.

So....what to do in the meantime....
    Have you read all the back-history on RSI's page yet?
    [QUOTE=Lord Refa;196360]Hijacking this thread for a second.. but seen this?

[url]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43153532/strike-suit-zero[/url]

Robot suits, space battles etc.. And looks like it'll be ready a bit before. ;)[/QUOTE]

Nice, I believe there's also the next iteration of the X3 game series coming out soon. Something to hold us over until SC opens up Alphas and Betas.

There are additional long term goals that can be unlocked for SC if the flow of pledges can last a bit longer. So far it's looking great. :)