Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Hyperspace maths and appearance

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
Question to the artistic: How was the look of hyperspace created? It looks like a 3d noise texture but, being inexperienced at these things, I'm not sure.

Question to the math133ts: In Into The Fire the distance travelled in hyperspace is inverse to the strength of gravity of celestial bodies. I want to recreate this effect. My first thought is amplify the speed over the inverse of the acceleration of gravity (I'm using spheres of influence from patched conics instead of trying to do n body). My goal though is to keep speed the same and then calculate the jump point positions, but I am not sure where to start with that.

Comments

• David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE=croxis;195943]Question to the artistic: How was the look of hyperspace created? It looks like a 3d noise texture but, being inexperienced at these things, I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much it. In the series proper, it's just animated fractal noise (not unlike Photoshop's "Clouds" filter), with an occasional object thrown in for the little swirly parts that appeared sometimes. They pumped the detail up gradually as the show went on and computers got faster, but up through Crusade, it was still basically just that.

Not sure how it was done in "Legends of the Rangers." IIRC, most of the difference seemed to be the addition of post-production distortion effects. Blue Hyperspace in "The Lost Tales" was more complicated, but not too different in theory. Where the show just had its noise textures painted on the inside of a single giant sphere, TLT had what looked like a few planes or hemispheres which rippled and billowed in addition to having the animated texture on them.