Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Firstones over the years

Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
One thing I have always enjoyed about Firstones is the thoughtful, positive, interesting discussions that we have mixed with a bit of fun. No other forums I have visited have the respect of other's ideas and the reasoned debate over differences.

As Bekenn said a few years ago: "This is why I love FirstOnes. Nowhere else have I seen such a blatantly political thread turned into a discussion of comparative planetary studies."

Recently this has started to change. Some individuals, I will not name names, have become very pessimistic in their posts, often rude or insulting of other posters. It is not the ideas that I have problems with, but the way they are presented, the negative overtone, and the overarching feeling that nothing pleases this poster. This is not just one post here or there that I am referring to, but virtually every post made by this poster over the past several months, or perhaps even the past year.

I hope we continue to have good, positive discussions of memes of interest for years to come, but I wanted to say something in the hope that this individual will take notice and try to be more civil and positive in those discussions that interest them.

P.S. I ask that everyone take the spirit of Firstones when replying to this thread. I will close it if it starts to be insulting to anyone.

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    *throws some nuts at RC*

What?! Thats definitely part of the FO tradition! :p

Seriously though, I do think you're on to something there. I think part of the problem is that as much as we have a real community here, our numbers are sadly thinning out. While in years gone past things might have gotten buried in the general insanity, now things are harder to miss. We could do with some new blood, but also with people just being a little more considerate.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    We lost a lot of people... I've seen other forums wither away as well. Social media (FB, TW, YT) may have also some part in the reason why people spend their energy elsewhere. We all only have so much time in the day. ;)

Discussions require disagreement, and we all have different backgrounds to draw upon. :D
  • Social media is the slow decay of forums.

Although I prefer forums any day.
    They said FaceBook reached 1 billion registered users today, which means every seventh person on the planet is a zombie!! :D

Well we are still here, so hope is not lost... yet.
  • I wonder how long until we see Social Media in scifi films? What will it look like in 800 years?

Ghost in the Shell kinda touched on it, with the advances in the internet, even with memes sorta... but can't think of any others.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Did someone say nuts? i'd love some, pistachio please!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Pass me a beer and I'll pass the nuts!
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Deal, Hope Corona is ok...
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    This is still pretty much the only forum I visit regularly. Hell, its the only forum that's saved on my web browser. :P

I've found out that I just can't take part in any discussions on comic book or game forums elsewhere, mostly because it seems that majority of the users in those are in fact brainless dolts.. and they write villain as "villian". Or Magneto as Manegto.. among other things. I know I do make plenty of errors myself, but come on.. Those are not even errors anymore, they're not justifiable as brainfarts either.. they're full on retardness.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Damn you, Manegto!
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Yes, where are cylocps, aisman, beest, angle and mavrel gril when you need them!
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Shadow Boxer hasn't been on here in a long time...

I do remember a bad time here for a while during the Bush election. We're all human...
    I can't remember the last time we had a heated political discussion on this forum.

There is no known cure for dyslexia other than banging your head against a wall. ;)
    Shockingly I must agree with Refa, this is about the only place I choose to regularly hang out, and in IRC in particular. I too can't be bothered dealing with all the noobs in other forums.....too comfy here I guess :D
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Firstones is a classic 90's style forum (anyone who frequented forums back then will know what I mean.. roughly). I like it :D
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I have to agree with Refa too. Just about every other gaming forum I've seen is filled with far too many trolls, idiots and people who think text speak is a good way to communicate online.

Firstones has always been a much more mature (well...as far as the above goes) community, even back when we were all kids. It pleases me to see we are still here after all that time and apart from the problems RC mentioned in the first post of this thread, we still have the same atmosphere we've always had.

Now if only we had our game!
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Frankly I like forums vs facebook. I think its an easier way to communicate and work through ideas or arguments. FB only exists in my life to allow me to stay connected to my old Marine Corps buddies. However, you are right, its killing internet forums.

By the way, did someone say Magneto?
    <-----------
    No no, we said Magnetto, the favourite ice cream of villains! :p

(Not sure if that translates to other countries?)
  • This and Rage3D are my only forum hangouts now. And Rage just because I've been there so long, still have some trolls there, but it isn't *that* bad once you get used to the local humor.

Firstones however, always seems to be the more mature forum, smart people, and fun times. How would I put it.... "I shining Beacon, all alone in the night" ? ;)
    I read that as "I shining Bacon..."

and... I see you on F3D occasionally... ( a forum which is having it's problems like all artistic places do with egos...)

;)
    I was also thinking how appropriate the name FirstOnes is in relation to activity from time to time.

Great torrents of activity followed by lulls of sleepy time, then one post wakes up a bunch of us. :)
  • Aye, I'm occasionally on F3D, or scfi-meshes, usually seeing what new art has been posted. Also occasionally on dpreview, posting images / seeing what others are doing.

But I don't know anyone at those forums (Save you at F3D). Only two I know of as a community are Firstones and Rage3D. :)
    [QUOTE=WORF;196076]Now if only we had our game![/QUOTE]

So say we all!
  • I only go to two message boards. This and a Legacy of Kain one (which is also pretty quiet and kind of dying out since the last new game came out about 8 or so years ago). I have posted before at a general gaming message board before, actually for a couple years, but it was so full of idiots that I eventually just left. It's like everyone was obsessed with showing how cool they are by acting like an idiot.
    I've also been thinking about the fate of message boards a bit. I like to sometimes look at old Usenet jokes, kooks, and such (I'm a bit fan of Alexander Abian, and all because of an idiot troll from about 12 or 13 years ago), and I was wondering if message boards are going to die out because of things like FaceBook and Twitter (two things I refuse to join). I'm really not sure how we could get more posters here. Our show isn't even aired in the country that it originated from anymore, so unlike something like Star Trek which is still syndicated very well, there is almost no chance of Babylon 5 gaining more fans. It's really sad, this show should be syndicated, it was so amazing but it almost seems like it's just going to end up forgotten.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    yeah, I read Bacon too... I think I'm hungry.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I'm on here and the Panda3d forums, and the latter is to figure out what the heck I am doing for my not so secret project.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=DarthCaligula;196087]I'm really not sure how we could get more posters here.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure we really need to. We've lasted this long, it seems likely we'll be around for a while yet. :D
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Well, one way to get more users is turning on registrations again, which got whacked with all the spambots, then forgotten about. Oops. :) *throws spoo at Sanfam*

Today I reactivated it, altered the human verification system, stuck myself as the admin that gets notified of all new users, and made it so someone (probably always me) has to approve them before they can post.

So far today, we have had 14 spambots get through reCaptcha and been nuked by me. I have since changed to Babylon 5 first season trivia for human verification :) - wonder how long until the bots catch on :D
    Hehe, I'd love to register just to read the B5 trivia questions. :D
    [QUOTE=Random Chaos;196092]So far today, we have had 14 spambots get through reCaptcha and been nuked by me. I have since changed to Babylon 5 first season trivia for human verification :) - wonder how long until the bots catch on :D[/QUOTE]

And since you have said that in the thread now, all the more quicker it will be...