Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Minority Report! (Possible Spoilers)

SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
What a great film! Man, just saw it two hours ago, and really loved it. The future was actually pretty believable, which is what made it so much more interesting and easy to accept. I've always believed we'll have loud, irritating wall advertisements plastered over the walls, each one demanding your attention (literally!). But the nature of things really kept me alert, such as the electronic paper updating itself, and the wonderful data storage, transport, and interface systems. All look right out of their time (2054, in case you didn't catch it), and serve to strengthen the atmosphere. The Retinal scanners in every building show how no one has privacy anymore. Your every movement is monitored, every purchase logged (See in-store ad in GAP scene). And hell, the thought of committing a crime could sentence you to life in a halo. No more liberties in the capital of the United States. And the people living there appeared to be quite happy with it. Most didn't seem to care at all. Actually, the reactions of the people after the murder was very interesting. I could not imagine the feeling of all of a sudden being the witness of one, especially when they were impossible. The system is infalible. The system is perfect. It actually was pretty close to perfect. I'm sure there weren't many false positives, with the exception of the drowned woman (women?)

I was really surprised to see how much plot and character development there was. In the past, I've never really associated Tom Cruise with good acting, but it worked out really well this time. Anderton was incredibly believable. Living a life where he prevents murders from ever hapenning, preventing cases like his son from ever occuring...

There was also some pretty well done humor throughout the film. It was mostly tasteful, and generally light hearted. Certainly added to the movie as a whole, which is rare in a dark film like Minority Report. Several instances (Such as Anderton's first run from the law, and the loss of his eyeballs in trying to gain entrance to the temple) added perfectly to the film. While some might say they detracted from the serious nature, I'd respond that you cannot take it too seriously. Then, the film would get too boring for most viewers. Although the action sequences might fix that up, but nobody wants a pure action flick right now.

The visuals were remarkable, but I'll follow up on that later. TIme for sleep now.

Goodnight!

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It comes out here on thursday. I plan on going and seeing it on thursday.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I planned on not going (as I have for Ep.2) Should I see it?

------------------
    GREEN
    ARDVARK
    WATERCOOLER
    COFFEE?
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    you should DEFINATLY SEE IT as well as Ep. 2
  • It's the one film, of late, that's had me thinking about going to the local sweatpit cinema we have near us [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • Possible plot hole or did I just not pay attention?

****SPOILERS*****
    How did the old guy set it up that Anderton would meet Crow in that situation? He couldn't have faked the permonition, because then Agitha wouldn't have been in it, and he couldn't garuntee the time. How could the murder count as a premeditated if he didn't know the guy until he walked in that hotel room? It couldn't have just been enough to pay Crow to be in that room with the pictures of the kids, could it?
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    We don'tknow how it was done, but it was done. So it's not really a hole. I'm guessing he just knew Anderton well enough to predict his actions in the situation. They both seemed to know each other well enough, so It's not an impossibility.
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    I haven't seen the movie yet, will try to catch it this weekend, but based on everything I've read so far (and that's quite a bit) I believe that the premeditated murder was not the murder Anderton commited, since that one was not premeditated. It was actually premeditated by the person who set all of this up. However, the psychics made a mistake in identifying the real cause (Anderton was just a tool in this case).
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    It was either that..or, what I also thought was this-

MAJOR SPOLIERS:

"Every day, I have thought of only two things. What my son would look like if I were to see him today, and what I would do to the man who took him away." (maybe slightly paraphrased)..so while he doesn't know the name, he has been planning what he is going to do for a long time.

The only glaring plot hole in the thing was this- why the HECK weren't Anderton's eyes either deleted from the access list or at least set off a warning???!!!! Dang, if someone on the network here at work was a security risk wanted for a crime we would close their domain account in a heartbeat.

One cool thing- that one dood from the DA's office possibly changed the future by saying "let them go, he already wins" when he stole agatha..they might have actually been able to catch him, but by doing that he guranteed the future would come to pass.

I also liked how he was really just doing his job, it wasn't out to get Anderton per se.

And finally..did anyone else catch on to the naming scheme with the 3 pre-cogs?
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    His access codes apparently remained because people didn't expect him to return. Nobody would be dumb enough to waltz into Pre-Crime headquarters with entire divisions on their back!

It seemed like confidence was the problem with its leadership. Too much confidence in a system which had clear flaws.

And yes, I loved the guy from the DA's office (Can't remember his name!). At first, I thought he was the one who set Anderton up, but then came this twist...that it was not the case. Really worked to the benefit of the film.
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    Spoilas:

Well, yes, I figured that, but after it happened the first time...wouldn't you think that just maybe it could happen again? Although I suppose they thought he was having sweet dreams at that point.

So, did you catch on to the naming theme?
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Murder conspiracy writers (Agatha Christie)?
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    BLING BLING we have a winner!

Agatha Christie, Dashiell Hammett, and Arthur Conan Doyle.

[This message has been edited by Keyan (edited 07-08-2002).]