Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Forums Upgraded

2»

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I said, I turned the notifications off, I didn't say I wasn't still getting notifications. I got a notification after turning them off. I stand corrected, even the useless features don't work. [IMG]http://www.firstones.com/forums/core/images/old/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

And they sold this as a BETA??? It's barely an ALPHA!!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Not just any Beta, but the 22nd beta! That means there were 21 betas before this that were even worse :p
    Somehow this knowledge doesn't make me feel any better. ;) A beta means that you still need to tweak features, not still implement them or make them work as intended.

People got fired for a lot less. As we have noticed, the board is quite slow to process anything. I suppose that's something to be figured out and fixed in beta testing.

Anyway, this looks like a long road ahead. I hope it's all worth the trouble. A new year, new challenges.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It's definitely worth the trouble. The version we were running before was ancient and easy to exploit. Upgrading to v4 and then v5 was also not an option: as RC said, we don't have the manpower (RC's done this upgrade almost 100% by himself).

Upgrading to v5 will give us a lot of new flexibility beyond just more security; we can expect better options for handling spambots (the non-hacky kind), for a start.
    There seems to be a certain inconsistency or lag as far as displaying a thread as having received new replies. You don't always get a link to click on to read the latest message in a particular thread. Very odd. The board is moody. :D
    Earth Alliance new post buttons should be working everywhere there was the ugly button before. This doesn't include the submit buttons for forums, but does include things like New Thread and Post Reply. It should be automatic anywhere that a primary type button was used, so everything should now look good. Let me know if the text is cut off on any screen - I had to enlarge the height, but it seems like each time they use the button they encapsulate it slightly differently so I can't just change one CSS line and everything becomes fixed.
    I blame vBulletin, it's an unmitigated disaster. Have they no pride in their work?
    For what it's worth, I get notified every time that someone else posts in the Elite: Dangerous thread that SHADOWDANCER has replied today even though he hasn't. Schizophrenic edition? ;)
    Hey, at least you get notified when you have notifications turned off too! That way you can never miss ShadowDancer not posting!

The other day Worf noticed that you had the last post, but it said he had the last post, and linked to my profile. Definitely strange! I'm not bothering to look for an update for the next couple weeks - with the holidays they probably didn't get much work done (I know I didn't!). But then I want to see if they fixed stuff.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Well I am unmissable!
    In the root directory of the forum it also listed Sanfam as having posted two weeks ago?! :D Don't worry, we are all crazy here!! It's like riding in a possessed turbo lift and you don't know on which level you are going to stop next.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Oh, that's lovely. The top bar with reply, search and (especially) next page bar stays pinned to the top of the window until you get to the bottom of the page, when it disappears.
    I expect this forum to disappear at the drop of a hat. I get an error message just by pressing the submission button. It's almost like every single characters is sent to the NSA, Google and NASA before reaching the FO server. I just love it when people try to reinvent the wheel just for the sake of reinventing. vBulletin is the epitome of hyperbole (they are full of it).
    Grey 17 is our next stop. Enjoy.
    Grey 17 is our next stop. Enjoy.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I always enjoy a trip to Grey 17
  • looking good
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I like how I see PSI-KILELRS avatar in "last post by" but not in his actual post, and then it's the other way around when I see Random Chaos' posts. :)
  • It's been going really slow for me.
  • So...where does one set their avatar? I've dug through every option and setting several times, but to no avail. Kinda miss having the ol' Gonzo next to my posts. :D
    Just click on where your avatar should be and it'll take you to your user profile. Then just mouse over the avatar again and (for me anyway) an 'edit avatar' option appears and you can add yours again
  • Edit: Oh, I see that my old reply did go through afterall. Still, this place is really slow for me.