Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Spacy Games, Early Access, Kickstarter

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
Star ruler 2 is now on steam early access.
My brother and my current addiction is Space engineers.

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'm currently enjoying Elite Dangerous and dogfighting in Star Citizen
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I was going to upgrade to the beta premium, but looks like I missed the boat to upgrade packages :(
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    edited July 2014
    :(

There should still be the option to upgrade to the Standard Beta
    I mostly wanted the free expansions.

I wonder if I could run space engineers on my vps...
    edited July 2014
    I haven't really looked at Space Engineers, but I generally prefer blowing things up to building them! ;)

I have to say though, Elite is proving to be an aweful lot of fun even though much of the content isn't there yet. I think it will be amazing when you can just pick a star and head off towards it exploring!
    Aye I look forward to it.
    I'm mostly looking for a spacy game I could host.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Wing Commander 2! Woo!

Yeah, I'm a bit behind.
    Give it a few more years Biggles and you might even make it into the 00's!
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I was wondering. I can't remember who, but I know that some people here worked on Into the Fire. Think with Kickstarter there could be a chance of actually making that game? Obviously you couldn't use the name Babylon 5 for legal reasons, but what I mean is make your own SF space flight sim that's pretty much what you guys were making.
    I'm not sure how many of the original devs are around at this point. I'd also have to review the details of the game mechanics.

Right now I'd be more interested in a B5 TC with one of the upcoming space games.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Elite Dangerous already has the rotating space stations part down. ;)
    And man I loved I Found Her so much. Too bad it looks like we'll never get more than that "prequel" game.
    You fly into a docking bay in Elite Dangerous and it's impossible not to imagine what it would be like with a B5 theme :)
  • JSMJSM Registered User
    edited July 2014
    And man I loved I Found Her so much. Too bad it looks like we'll never get more than that "prequel" game.
    ahem ifhgame.ru/
    (Note: ambient reflections ^ seen in screenshot above is experimental, no guaranty that's what will be seen in final game)

umm yeah IFH is far from dead :P
    In fact The Ifh team (including me the lead modeler) have been quite busy this summer working on new engine, models etc :D
    Hopefully we'll have something for you by end of year or shortly after (of course no guaranties) :D
    I hope you don't think I was insulting you guys, it's just that Danger & Opportunity came out almost ten years ago and even though you show pictures like this every so often, it's hard for me to really get excited. After a few years of not seeing Black Omega, I just kind of gave up on it. I know that you guys do this in your spare time and that it's free and everything, but it was just hard keeping excited after all this time.
  • JSMJSM Registered User
    edited July 2014
    I hope you don't think I was insulting you guys, it's just that Danger & Opportunity came out almost ten years ago and even though you show pictures like this every so often, it's hard for me to really get excited. After a few years of not seeing Black Omega, I just kind of gave up on it. I know that you guys do this in your spare time and that it's free and everything, but it was just hard keeping excited after all this time.
    I totally get what you're saying, I would be thinking exactly the same thing if I was in your shoes and didn't have access to the in development game (which I do). :)
    Hopefully we'll have something to get you excited about soon...but until then stay frosty :D
    edited July 2014
    At least there are all those cool things that were hidden in D&O. I loved it when I found out about the Vorlon and Shadow places, and that easter egg with the Monolith was hilarious.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I too have been greatly enjoying the Elite Dangerous beta. Content is kinda light at the moment but it's one of those things I'm sure they'll be working on before release.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Yeah, Elite Dangerous is coming along nicely, as are Star Citizen and Limit Theory. Glad I backed those.
    I watched some videos of Elite Dangerous and it looks kind of interesting but... I guess I Found Her just totally spoiled me, but it just bothers me so much to see ships flying in space now like they're planes in an atmosphere. Whenever I play other games that have space flight now, all I can think is "Why can't I fly in one direction and fire in another? Why can't I spin around and shoot guys while I'm still flying one certain way?"
    Because a lot of people get motion sick. I haven't looked at any videos but I thought Elite Dangerous was newtonian physics?
    edited August 2014
    OK, I guess I was wrong then. That other video I saw on their site made it look like it was the typical type of space flight you see. This game is looking pretty interesting now.
  • JSMJSM Registered User
    edited August 2014
    I just bought elite dangerous...very IFH like as far as physics and combat goes , just with exploration, trading etc :)
    "Why can't I fly in one direction and fire in another? Why can't I spin around and shoot guys while I'm still flying one certain way?"
    I thought this as well when I first started playing Elite Dangerous...but then I discovered the z key aka turning off flight assist; pretty much the equivalent of inertial mode in ifh :D
  • JSMJSM Registered User
    Btw Thought I would discuss star citizen as well.

Dogfighting so far for me feels very sluggish and kinda unnatural.

And then there's the fact that I decided to do some math of star citizens expenses (quick stuff not that in-depth)

According to some sources star citizen has around 270 some people they are paying to make the game. Now game salaries can be around 50,000 up to 120,000 (sometimes higher) depending on if your lead, lowly artist, programer etc. (this assumes that they are paying their people any type of decent pay) so take that number average it we get 85,000 dollars per employee per year.

Now multiply that times the number of employees. You get $22,950,000 spent on employees a year

For two years this adds up to: $45,900,000
    Then you have the cost of taxes: $2,000,000 give or take.
    Then you have the kick starter fees of around $1,000,000

So so far you have $48,900,000 that will be spent at the end of 2 years but that does not include the cost of buying/renting large facilities for the various studios/departments, paying for the large electrical bills etc.

Imho star citizen has way to much overhead...their going to keep needing money and risk ending up having to do a massive lay off of some of their staff which will give them a big black mark with the people who work in the gaming industry.
    Or worse case scenario their going to go bankrupt or turn to publishers, (which they've demonized)

Star Citizen also as far as I've seen has been far to eager to chase shiny graphics instead of actually being worried about game play. Take a look at Elite Dangerous compared with Star Citizen trailers.
    Elite trailers show game play features whereas a lot of Star Citizen videos show ship trailers (in engine cinematics that are scripted) or features that are "going" (as in its not even in engine yet it's a pre-rendered animation or concept art) to be implemented...
    Also as someone who is a game artist, When I loaded up the hangar and saw that in several places they had released models that had z buffering in them (its where you have polygons that occupy almost the exact space as one other , which causes black flickering), I was disappointed that they would release stuff in such a bad state.

I do want star citizen to succeeded but I don't know; so far I'm not as impressed as I hoped I would be :-<

(and if you've stayed with it and finished this long ramble you're officially insane 8-} )
    We're all insane here :)

Star Citizen does seem to be very much about pushing computer graphics to the limits but then Chris Roberts has always done that with his games.

You're right though, so far they've not shown much of the actual gameplay beyond flying around in a handful of ships. They're taking a different approach to developing the game than Frontier is with Elite Dangerous. With the latter, their focus is entirely on ship based gameplay. You never leave your ship, just fly from station to station and you get an interface to trade, choose missions etc while you're docked.

Exiting your ship, walking around, landing on planets are things they plan to add but later and so they're not part of the basic game experience. Thus they can have the game more or less up and running already.

With Star Citizen, they're designing the game in such a way that walking around stations and planets is major part of game. Unlike ED, it makes it much harder to show off how the full game will work until all those elements are closer to completion because the game doesn't work if something is missing.

Speaking of Elite Dangerous, here's a gameplay video someone put together showing themselves smuggling. Pretty intense :D

Awesome indeed!! I'm slowly starting to get really excited avout ED. I have yet to decide which joystick setup I'm going to get. Saitek seems to be the brand of choice, I have been using Thrustmaster until now but it's getting a bit old. I will save my money for my next PC when we get close to the release date. No idea what to get. A Mac still seems unlikely. ;-)
    I've got a Saitek x52 (as opposed to the x52 pro) and am very happy with it. It has plenty of functionality, looks good, and is pretty robust.
    edited August 2014
    The x52 pro costs like twice as much as the regular model, that does indeed help with the purchase decision. ;-) Not sure if this is a factor for the x52, but concerns about this type of controllers cover everything from QC issues and slick contacts on smooth surfaces like those found on a regular desk. I'd much rather spend my money on the PC than the controller and don't need all those lights flashing while I'm using it. The first thing I did on my XPS gaming laptop was disable all the lights. lol I'm hoping that OR headset will be released at some point so you won't need a xmas tree on your controllers anyway.
    I think some of the people working on Elite Dangerous might be Babylon 5 fans :)

More details in the latest newsletter