Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Star Trek 3/13 - whatever number it will be

SpiritOneSpiritOne MagnetoABQ NM
edited December 2014 in Zocalo v2.0
Roberto Orci is out as director. No reason why yet.

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'd be happier if they just shelved the movies and went back to a tv show, which is the best format for Star Trek
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I was surprised Orci was even chosen to direct, given that he hasn't directed anything before and Star Trek is a valuable franchise.

Edgar Wright would be an interesting choice, if he really is a big Star Trek fan, maybe he'll bring the reboots back into line with what Star Trek should be.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I agree that star trek is best served as a series. To me it is a series about how we can have a better world and the fight to make it/keep it. The second movie tried to touch on that a bit more (killing Kahn without a trial) but there was a lot getting in the way.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    TrekCore has some more unverified-but-plausible information, including this tidbit:
    [Sources] tell me that the script Orci was working on saw the Enterprise, the Vulcans and a new alien race competing to get a time travel device. The Vulcans want to go back and stop the destruction of their planet, and the time travel schtick is what would allow Chris Pine and William Shatner to share the screen. Is that still going to be the plot of the movie - a MacGuffin that could wipe out the previous two films?

I've been in touch with some folks and it seems like the script was one of the problem factors. Paramount shut the production down last month, sending home all the design people while they battled over the direction of the screenplay.
    It's impossible to tell how something will be from just a premise, or even if I was to read the whole script, but while it's a bit of an improvement over not being what terrified me after STID (that the remake would just become a tone-deaf series of Star Trek's greatest hits, a la most comic book movies; next up, Kirk versus the Borg!), but it's still fairly far up its own butt with being such a direct sequel to Star Trek '09.

I want something that's new. STID came close to that, but the last quarter folded in on itself to became a lame Wrath-of-Khan-meets-Michael-Bay riff and dispensed with everything that had been interesting about the first part of the movie. At this point, I'd rather the introspection was used for the subtext, and the text was going out and finding some crazy outer-space shit. It's something the Trek movies haven't even tried to do since The Final Frontier, and only came close to succeeding at with The Motion Picture.
    I had a story idea that sounded kinda similar to that, except it would have allowed all five captains to join forces to restore the timeline. It seemed kinda appropriate for the 50th anniversary.
  • David of Mac-
    This is really my problem with these movies, and especially with Into Darkness, it just doesn't feel like there's any point or clear direction. I mean, what was the point of the last movie at all? At least with Space Seed it was commentary on eugenics and the idea of "Super Babies", and The Wrath of Khan was about vengeance and obsession I guess, but Into Darkness felt like it just existed to exist. "Uh.... Yeah! Klingons! And uh... Oh yeah, everyone loved The Wrath of Khan! Let's throw some stuff from that episode that Khan was first in too since that's when this would be. And let's make Khan White!" The thing is that it's hard for me to say what exactly it's missing, but since comparisons with The Wrath of Khan are pretty much impossible since both movies are the second in their series and have Khan, it's just that The Wrath of Khan just felt better. The pacing, the suspense, just everything felt right. It just feels like they're making these movies because everyone expects there to be Star Trek movies.
    And bringing Shatner into the third movie just makes it sound like they've run out of ideas. "Let's have the two Kirks meet! We can have Shatner in it!"
  • My personal idea for the next trek movie is that they use the "we threw out all the cannon" time portal to do something interesting. For instance, permanently killing off of a main character (Checkov). Kirk would then get all angst-y and everyone else would have to convince him that they need him to be the passionate, cocksure hero they always knew, or they loose to this year's alien menace.
    I can't seem to find my notes for the story I had but the basic idea was the Prophets would be aware of the change in the timeline and something about it means the Pah Wraiths are going to be able to destroy them and all life in the galaxy. They're actually successful and it's happening in the late 24th century in the reboot timeline. Imagine the apocalypse on a galactic scale, the Federation is gone, most of the galaxy is in flames etc.

The Prophets send Sisko to recruit Picard and Janeway (Sisko is the only one aware of the original timeline, Picard and Janeway only know the reboot timeline) to travel back in time to the 23rd century to restore the timeline to what it should be. They join forces with Kirk and the Enterprise crew of the era. Admiral Archer would also be there.

I can't remember exactly what it was they had to do but the events leading to the destruction of Romulus began in the 23rd Century. They had to stop that from happening, because then Nero would never lose his family and thus would never travel back in time causing the split in timelines.

Of course, they're successful, the timeline is restored and to show that, the final shot would be the reboot cast on the bridge of the TOS Enterprise, not the reboot Enterprise.

Basically, I liked the idea of having all five Captains working together for the 50th anniversary and taking things right back to the beginning with that last shot. But I don't see that story ever being made :(
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Parts of it sound similar to the storyline the comics just did with Q throwing the nuTrek crew into the future where they had to team up with a post-apocalyptic version of the DS9 crew to do... something. I assume the ultimate result was preventing the nuTrek timeline from proceeding towards inevitable ruin, but I haven't read it.
    Can't say I've read that either, might have to look into it.
    Star Trek 3 has a new director, Justin Lin.